Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #1081
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Anyone else running El Capitan yet?

I installed it on my 2010 Macbook Pro and I've been pleasantly surprised by it, feels a little snappier all around, start up time is definitely improved (I've got an SSD in this machine) and battery life seems to be marginally improved as well.

Upgrading the OS was my last Hail Mary before biting the bullet and replacing this machine, looks like I'll get a bit more time out of it yet.

Performance does seem better. Pretty underwhelming release otherwise.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #1082
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put El Capitan on my Macbook Air, and so far it seems good. Nothing earth shattering, but seems good.

I was having a problem with some very intermittent and short hangs, and I think that it was originating from Firefox. So I reinstalled that, plus I figured I'd reinstall the OS over top (retaining my apps and settings) just to be sure there were no corrupt system files. After a little bit of poking around last night it seems to have resolved the issue.

I usually prefer the "clean install" route because it gives me a chance to generally tidy and freshen everything up, but quite frankly I couldn't be bothered this time around.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #1083
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have deployed it to a few different models with different specs to test things out before opening up the upgrade to our staff. As expected, I wouldn't look for great, or improved, performance on an older machine with a SATA and only 4GBs of RAM or so, but more or less seems to be operating as well as Yosemite. Older apps like Office 2008 have awful resolution and freeze up a lot, but that was the case with Yosemite anyway. Different versions of Creative Suite/CC all seem to work fine.

Having some issues setting up profiles on El Capitan, but that is only an issue for corporate users. And it looks like the original Apple configurator (for mobile device deployment) is no longer supported on El Capitan, meaning you have to go to Apple configurator 2, which is completely different.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 10-07-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #1084
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Recall coming soon?

iPhones 6S battery life 'varies by up to two hours depending on chip supplier'

Quote:
Two seemingly identical, brand new, iPhones 6S may have a battery life that differs by up to two hours depending on which of two companies manufactured their processor, according to reports from owners.

The investigations were sparked by a report from technology news site Anandtech that Apple is dual-sourcing one of the key components of the new phones. The A9 “system on a chip”, the lump of silicon that lies at the heart of the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus, is designed by Apple but manufactured by two independent contractors: Korea’s Samsung Electronics and Taiwan’s TSMC. The two chips interact with the rest of the hardware identically, based as they are on the same designs, but differences in their production is apparently having an effect on how efficient they are at doing their jobs.
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-chip-supplier

How likely is a Samsung sabotage conspiracy?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #1085
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Recall coming soon?

Very bizarre that the larger chip is more power efficient. It's usually the other way around.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #1086
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

For whatever reason I can't find the lirum app you can use to tell what chip you have in the app store.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #1087
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
I installed it on my 2010 Macbook Pro and I've been pleasantly surprised by it, feels a little snappier all around, start up time is definitely improved (I've got an SSD in this machine) and battery life seems to be marginally improved as well.
Interesting. I'm still on a 2010 MBP (installed SSD and more RAM). Never upgraded because I thought I'd turn it into a brick. Good to know!

I installed it on my Air. Haven't used it much yet.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #1088
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of older machines, if anyone has a older macbook and is looking to unload it let me know. I had a 2010 macbook that my wife was using to play music/use as a 2 way baby monitor for my daughter's room and it finally went south. I never realized how much we used that stupid baby app until we couldn't use it anymore.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #1089
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Recall coming soon?

Highly doubtful. You would be surprised in large corporations that amount of separation between business units. The company I work for has everything from aerospace divisions to chemicals and we have little to no association nor are we ever persuaded in the direction of using components or products from our other divisions/companies.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #1090
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old issue (actually popped up with the launch of the 6.. . But I'm assuming with the new waves of 6S/S+ users it'll rear its ugly head again) that has become a concern.

Any iPhone users on AT&T, or receive calls from 6(&up) users on AT&T?
I have a lady friend from the U.S., who recently upgraded from a 5S to a 6S, and I no longer get caller ID information when she calls.

She said she's talked to many others who have had no issues with this .. Apple support ticket says it was a big Voice over LTE (VoLTE) rollout issue that mainly hit Chicago, which was their test bed city.

Have any of you experienced this, and by any chance know how to resolve it? Seems that the widespread mob of affected phones stopped complaining around Christmas 2014 so I'm
Hoping there was a simple fix, but I've yet to find one.

Kind of a major pita as we talk quite a bit, and im going to end up answering the phone inappropriately soon.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #1091
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had one issue, and a coworker noticed the same thing happen on her iPhone - message input box covered up by a little grey block preventing your from seeing what you are typing. Does it for every contact whether it is iMessage or regular SMS recipient. It seemed to clear up on its own though.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #1092
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

any of you IT guys deployed DEP to your iOS users?
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #1093
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
We use casper management suite for our OS X deployment, but use apple configurator for a lot of ios stuff. Havent really looked into DEP yet, but I assume it is meant to work in conjunction with configurator? We tried Meraki a number of years ago for our mobile devices but werent too impressed. Casper more or less does the same stuff as configurator, but configurator is free so we really only have casper licensing for os x devices.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 10-08-2015 at 08:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #1094
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Speaking of older machines, if anyone has a older macbook and is looking to unload it let me know. I had a 2010 macbook that my wife was using to play music/use as a 2 way baby monitor for my daughter's room and it finally went south. I never realized how much we used that stupid baby app until we couldn't use it anymore.
Should be able to help you out. Will PM
Old 11-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #1095
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after a few weeks of using El Capitan intermittently on my Macbook Air, I am actually pretty disappointed with the battery life. I know that I shouldn't be annoyed that I'm only getting about 6 or so hours of light usage, but with Yosemite, it was ridiculously long - like 9 or 10 hours.

I'm considering a downgrade to Yosemite. Either that, or completely wiping it clean and doing a clean install. But I have read some reports online that some people are experiencing the reduced battery life even after a clean install.

Has anyone else noticed the poor battery performance since upgrading?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #1096
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
So after a few weeks of using El Capitan intermittently on my Macbook Air, I am actually pretty disappointed with the battery life. I know that I shouldn't be annoyed that I'm only getting about 6 or so hours of light usage, but with Yosemite, it was ridiculously long - like 9 or 10 hours.

I'm considering a downgrade to Yosemite. Either that, or completely wiping it clean and doing a clean install. But I have read some reports online that some people are experiencing the reduced battery life even after a clean install.

Has anyone else noticed the poor battery performance since upgrading?
To be honest I'm about 12-16 hours on El Capitan vs 10-14 previously so I would say battery is better now. My only real complaint is that I have safari lock ups every few days that require a force stop.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #1097
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Had one issue, and a coworker noticed the same thing happen on her iPhone - message input box covered up by a little grey block preventing your from seeing what you are typing. Does it for every contact whether it is iMessage or regular SMS recipient. It seemed to clear up on its own though.
When this happens all you have to do is hold down the microphone button beside the text entry field like you wanted to record a message. Let go, and when it notices there is no message it will be removed.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #1098
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
To be honest I'm about 12-16 hours on El Capitan vs 10-14 previously so I would say battery is better now. My only real complaint is that I have safari lock ups every few days that require a force stop.
Interesting. And this is a Macbook Air? Did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

Maybe I shouldn't give up on it until I have tried a clean install and start fresh. I did notice some hangs (mentioned earlier in this thread), so I reinstalled the OS (not clean, but "over the top") and that seemed to fix the hangs for the most part. But perhaps there are still some things that are sucking the resources.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #1099
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My wife's iPhone 6 has continues to have troubles connecting to our home WiFi. My HTC One has no issues and other Apple devices don't seem to either. Anyone have similar problems with potential recommendations?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:14 AM   #1100
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
This is still dependant on carrier, no? Not sure what carriers have this available in Canada yet - I believe Telus is close to launching.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote