Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-01-2024, 01:11 PM   #1
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let's Talk Keyboards

I did a search on keyboards in Tech Talk and it looks like it’s been a while since there was a decent thread about them, so here we are!

I’m starting to get into PC gaming (currently playing Mass Effect for the first time on PC), and I’d really like to upgrade my keyboard to something that’s a little more functional, fun and aesthetically nicer. My current keyboard is a $25 bare bones Logitech.

I’ve got a decent budget and was looking into a Keychron Q6 keyboard because it’s customizable (switches, keycaps, etc) and I can get the full board with the keypad, which I'd need for work. Keyboard building is a hobby I want to get into, and because the Keychron is already put together I think it’s probably a good board to start with. Has anyone here built their keyboard from scratch, or done customizing of switches, kaycaps, mounting plates, etc?

What current keyboards are you all using? Would you recommend them?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:49 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I like ergo style keyboards so I currently use the Logitech Ergo K860

One feature I really like is it has 3 different bluetooth settings in it so I can switch back and forth between 3 different systems with a button.

Not the kind of keyboard you're talking about though. There are some mechanical ergo ones I've thought about trying.

But to be honest I think I've been with this kind of keyboard for too long, I might not even like a mechanical style key action anymore.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:54 PM   #3
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Logitech MX Keys have been my go to at work and at home. Quiet, backlit, short travel keys, are all good but the 3 device bluetooth selector is key for switching between work, personal PC, and iPhone.

I have the non keypad version of the MX Keys too. I'm a little down on that as they cram the bluetooth selector keys onto the F1, F2, and F3 keys which wreaks havoc with my use of the F2 key to edit cells in Excel.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 06:14 PM   #4
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Login G110 is nearing its end of days.

Haven't seen a replacement that I want to try yet. Looking for something backlit with audio controls built in. Prefer wired over wireless, if that matters.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:22 PM   #5
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
My Login G110 is nearing its end of days.

Haven't seen a replacement that I want to try yet. Looking for something backlit with audio controls built in. Prefer wired over wireless, if that matters.
I use the G213 keyboard and it's perfectly fine if you don't care about mechanical keys. Wired, lights up, and has audio controls.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 07:15 PM   #6
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Logitech MX Keys have been my go to at work and at home. Quiet, backlit, short travel keys, are all good but the 3 device bluetooth selector is key for switching between work, personal PC, and iPhone.

I have the non keypad version of the MX Keys too. I'm a little down on that as they cram the bluetooth selector keys onto the F1, F2, and F3 keys which wreaks havoc with my use of the F2 key to edit cells in Excel.
MX Keys guy as well. Simplistic and functional, probably the best keyboard I've used personally. The K850 ergo would be second on my list.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:38 AM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

For most of my typing - that is, my work PC - I use a Dygma Raise with Kailh box white switches set to 30 degrees at a pretty aggressive split, i.e.

Spoiler!

I was really surprised how easily I transitioned to a split tented keyboard for typing. It took less than a week before it was basically just... fine. And it's an incredibly well engineered device. I have been mulling over buying another one (the Raise 2 just came out and unlike mine, it's wireless and the tenting kit is built in so it's much easier to travel with) but I'm not sure I need to go there.

It's also a spectacular gaming keyboard because you just ditch the right half of the thing and use it like the old Razer Orbweaver, which I also have one of that's permanently hooked up to my gaming PC and which I use for things where I need a bunch of hotkeys, like DOSII or whatever.

I also have a couple of Razer Black Widows that work absolutely fine for casual desktop browing use with occasional gaming. Perfectly fine, and I'm usually not typing that much. Add to that the fact that a lot of my gaming is on controller (which I use xBox 360 controllers for when I'm not on Steam Deck) and the use case is narrow enough that there's no reason to replace them with something marginally better even though my Dygma feels clearly better to me now.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 04-02-2024 at 10:48 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:43 AM   #8
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love my Logitech MX Mechanical. I've heard the MX keys is nice too but I really like the mechanical keys. I use the same keyboard and mouse for both my personal PC and Macbook for work and I love the Logitech Flow feature that switches between them seamlessly. Other virtual KVM options exist too if you don't want to buy Logitech gear.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:05 PM   #9
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I splurged and bought a Wooting Two HE. Has been great so far...but was definitely pricey.

I've been intrigued by the moonlander keyboards.

Last edited by Cain; 04-03-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:40 PM   #10
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think the Wooting Two HE is perfectly reasonable; it's $260 CAD. Moonlander is definitely getting pricey.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-03-2024, 02:55 PM   #11
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

If you're willing to install the Logitech Options+ software, there is an option to lock the function row as the default instead of the shortcut keys. So instead of needing to use the "fn" key to access the function row, you can just hit the F5, for example, and not fn+F5.

I think that you can also toggle the function lock with fn+esc but I don't think that gets remembered between sessions.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:13 PM   #12
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

After my logitech g910 kicked the bucket i got another relatively cheap membrane keyboard, the Steelseries Apex 3. I'm not a big fan of clicky keys so this one seemed fine for me. I've stopped attempting to type 80 wpm so for me it works very well. No crazy macro keys or media keys though but I never used them anyway.

I did drum on the Steelseries Apex Pro.. which apparently has 'Adjustable actuation' using magnets and ####. Sounds cool and is well reviewed.

Last edited by calumniate; 04-03-2024 at 03:17 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:04 PM   #13
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
If you're willing to install the Logitech Options+ software, there is an option to lock the function row as the default instead of the shortcut keys. So instead of needing to use the "fn" key to access the function row, you can just hit the F5, for example, and not fn+F5.

I think that you can also toggle the function lock with fn+esc but I don't think that gets remembered between sessions.
If you use a compatible mouse you can use the Flow feature and just move your mouse between screens to change computers. Doesn't help if you are using multiple inputs on your screens but if you use both computers at the same time it does.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:49 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes I feel like the solution I need is not a specific type of keyboard, but the learning and familiarization of the Dvorak layout.

I've tried it before. Other than the fact my shortcut layout was all completely messed up, there was a naturalness to it that was pretty crazy to experience. Like my fingers didn't cramp as much and my wrists didn't hurt as much either. Probably because I didn't need to reach as much to type.

I still think maybe one day I'll consider jumping on the Dvorak method full time... but then it'd be super weird to use other computers.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:49 PM   #15
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
For most of my typing - that is, my work PC - I use a Dygma Raise with Kailh box white switches set to 30 degrees at a pretty aggressive split, i.e.
I have a Dygma Defy with Kailh box white switches. It's definitely a different experience. Adjustment time is a legit issue though if you work hybrid. The ortholinear layout is so different, and the split layout is such a no-brainer. Something like this, stripped down to the essentials, is the future of keyboards.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM   #16
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I have a Dygma Defy with Kailh box white switches. It's definitely a different experience. Adjustment time is a legit issue though if you work hybrid. The ortholinear layout is so different, and the split layout is such a no-brainer. Something like this, stripped down to the essentials, is the future of keyboards.
I guess I'm not surprised to hear that about the Defy, because of the ortholinear (well, I guess columnar, it's still staggered) layout. But the Raise is actually not that big an adjustment. The split and tented keyboard takes a slight bit of getting used to especially if you have bad habits (i.e. pressing a key near the middle of the layout with the wrong finger) but it really didn't take me very long, and the raise's design (whereby you can just use it as a normal staggered horizontal row keyboard and then gradually split it) makes that part easy to adjust to as well - although I never had much of an issue from the start with that.

I decided against the defy for more or less that reason - I'm going to have to type on staggered keyboards a lot, on laptops and otherwise, and I don't want it to feel awkward.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 04-03-2024 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:54 AM   #17
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I guess I'm not surprised to hear that about the Defy, because of the ortholinear (well, I guess columnar, it's still staggered) layout. But the Raise is actually not that big an adjustment. The split and tented keyboard takes a slight bit of getting used to especially if you have bad habits (i.e. pressing a key near the middle of the layout with the wrong finger) but it really didn't take me very long, and the raise's design (whereby you can just use it as a normal staggered horizontal row keyboard and then gradually split it) makes that part easy to adjust to as well - although I never had much of an issue from the start with that.

I decided against the defy for more or less that reason - I'm going to have to type on staggered keyboards a lot, on laptops and otherwise, and I don't want it to feel awkward.
Right, Columnar.

tbh though it isn't too bad if you're patient. Tougher adjustment is going from a full 108 key layout to having to use macro keys etc

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 02:35 PM   #18
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I use the G213 keyboard and it's perfectly fine if you don't care about mechanical keys. Wired, lights up, and has audio controls.

i just got one of these (thanks to the mentions in this thread) and i love it!

i had another keyboard forever and it died probably 6-8 months ago so i got the cheapest logitech keyboard staples had ($25 i think). it was 'fine' but i really missed the illuminated keyboard and never realized how much i liked having audio controls on my keyboard!
Old 04-06-2024, 07:40 PM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I spend over $50 on a keyboard I spill beer on it immediately, yet my last $20 keyboard lasted 5 years

Also a G213 user. I really like it. Z key doesn't like Guinness though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:28 AM   #20
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently using a Logitech 915tkl, a 8Bitdo Retro N edition, a rog azoth( love it) and a Corsair k70 rgb tkl from the champion series.

I'd recommended any of these but I use the 915 tkl the most because it's so slim and multi connection options .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote