Old 11-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #2281
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
New Macbook Pro

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...yboard-design/

The biggest thing that interests me is they abandoned the keyswitches from the current ones and did something new. Apparently key travel almost doubled. My biggest complaint with my work laptop is the keyboard.

And they made a physical escape key instead of the dumb oled bar.

I would gladly never touch the Touch Bar again
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #2282
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
New Macbook Pro

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...yboard-design/

The biggest thing that interests me is they abandoned the keyswitches from the current ones and did something new. Apparently key travel almost doubled. My biggest complaint with my work laptop is the keyboard.

And they made a physical escape key instead of the dumb oled bar.
Worst keyboard I've ever used.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #2283
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

So its been quite a few years since the wife and I upgraded cell phones. (we're still using iphone6s)

Right now we pay $140/month for 5g data and unlimited talk/text Nationwide (Canada & US)

Looking to upgrade now I see that phones/plans are completely different now and you pay a "phone rental" fee + a plan fee every month and just about every company charges the same.

Phone fee - $30-50 per month (iPhone 11)
Plans - Starting at $75 per month (more data but only Canada wide calling)

So in essence your now paying about $125.00 month per phone so $250.00 ....
Is this right? I cant fathom having to now pay over $100 more a month just for cell phones, I can believe how bad CDN's get fleeced by cell phone providers.

Am I missing something here?
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #2284
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Start looking at the secondary providers- Koodo, Virgin and Fido. They use the same networks as their parent providers, so coverage is the same. Also there should be deals this week for Black Friday. Typically things like buying at a retail store, putting $200 down but getting a $200 gift card.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #2285
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Worst keyboard I've ever used.
The new one?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #2286
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The new one?

No, the one they’ve had for the past few years
Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #2287
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's kinda weird how the availability of Disney+ is so hampered in the Apple TVs. I have a Apple TV HD and it's odd how it's not so straight forward to get it installed. It's super easy to install on phones and laptops with app functionality.

I'm streaming Disney+ from my PS4, but at my brother's place, we still haven't figured out how to do it (Even by following guides) on the ATV HD he has. Based on what we've checked, his is supposed to be compatible, but no dice so far.

I guess it makes sense that they are hoping you buy the newer ATVs, but it definitely would have been nice if there was an OS update or something to add Disney+ on some of the older Apple TVs.

Until then, since I'm tightening the wallet casting from phones seems to be the best option.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #2288
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The new one?

No, the one they’ve had for the past few years
Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #2289
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright folks, long time Samsung phone user (been on the S7 since it came out), making the leap to the iPhone this week.

I am debating between the iPhone XS vs the iPhone 11..... Any suggestions on which is the better bang for buck? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #2290
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Alright folks, long time Samsung phone user (been on the S7 since it came out), making the leap to the iPhone this week.

I am debating between the iPhone XS vs the iPhone 11..... Any suggestions on which is the better bang for buck? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Did you pick up an iPhone and is so which one? The 11 is the best /cheapest deal I can get through work for $500 with the XR, XS being more as well as the Samsung devices. So I am thinking about switching over being a long time Nexus/Pixel user just curious how to line the iPhone?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #2291
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just got the iphone XR after being a very, very long time android user. Got it for a crazy deal so I thought it was worth trying. Somethings I'm still not used to, but overall it's a pretty good phone.

In doing my research, I would say the 11 would be the best deal if you had to pay full price for both.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #2292
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Did you pick up an iPhone and is so which one? The 11 is the best /cheapest deal I can get through work for $500 with the XR, XS being more as well as the Samsung devices. So I am thinking about switching over being a long time Nexus/Pixel user just curious how to line the iPhone?
got the iPhone 11. got a reasonable black fri deal with rogers. I'm also a long time Samsung phone user, first time using the iPhone. I haven't put the sim in yet (awaiting on the phone case to arrive from amazon), but getting all my apps ready to roll on iPhone, and it looks good.

I do hate the home screens on the iPhone though. I liked being able to place app widgets (my calendar, sports score, weather, stock tickers) anywhere on a home screen that I choose on my android, which is not possible at all on IOS.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #2293
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the input. For $500 the 11 sounds pretty good. No deals with anything other than Apple and Samsung through work so if I want to stay Google I am out of pocket. Work likes the security of the iphone over android so they are pushing that way. All of my computers are Macs now as well so it might make sense to switch.

Might flip the whole family over (wife has the XR) in order to use the finder app with the kids potentially walking to and from school next year.

Don't like the idea of losing free backup to Google photos though. That was a nice little plus but I hear they don't offer that on the Pixel 4 anymore either.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #2294
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Thanks for the input. For $500 the 11 sounds pretty good. No deals with anything other than Apple and Samsung through work so if I want to stay Google I am out of pocket. Work likes the security of the iphone over android so they are pushing that way. All of my computers are Macs now as well so it might make sense to switch.

Might flip the whole family over (wife has the XR) in order to use the finder app with the kids potentially walking to and from school next year.

Don't like the idea of losing free backup to Google photos though. That was a nice little plus but I hear they don't offer that on the Pixel 4 anymore either.
the main reason I shifted was that all our family photos are on iCloud, which is like 150GB now........ Being able to auto sync/backup to iCloud for my pictures, as well as being able to retrieve any picture from our family archive there is awesome.

If it wasn't for this one particular thing, I would have happily gone S10.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #2295
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Aren't you still able to run Google Photos through your iphone? That way you can get unlimited storage but it's the compressed version.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #2296
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
Aren't you still able to run Google Photos through your iphone? That way you can get unlimited storage but it's the compressed version.
no idea. We've been on iCloud for years now (wife is on iPhone).... Made more sense for me to migrate to iOS, rather than having to figure out migrating my entire photo library from one cloud to another, and then convince my wife to go back to android...
Old 12-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #2297
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought you paid for icloud though? I kind of liked the free thing. But yes, you can still upload compressed files but the fill res ones will count against your storage. Not a huge deal really.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #2298
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Actually if you have an iPhone X or 11 on iOS 11, all of your Google Photo uploads are original quality uncompressed regardless if you pay or not, because they use the HEIC format

https://petapixel.com/2019/10/19/iph...ixel-4-doesnt/

So in practice, iPhone users get a better experience with Google Photos than even Pixel 4 owners do
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #2299
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1203480428751048705
Old 12-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #2300
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Anybody make the move to iOS 13.3 yet? Is it any better?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote