Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #1201
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

HAHAHAHA

$900 for cheapest iphone 7 model
$219 for those wireless airbuds
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #1202
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Still curious how you will charge and listen to the phone at the same time.
$219 CAD bluetooth airpods obviously...if you've remembered to charge them and haven't lost one or both
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #1203
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Apple pushes it every year with their faithful, finding more and more ways to milk people. Now you can get iPhones on subscription plans, or $40 a month! (not including your monthly carrier charges).
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #1204
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

will you be able to microwave this one?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #1205
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
$219 CAD bluetooth airpods obviously...if you've remembered to charge them and haven't lost one or both
That's the thing, isn't it. Ear buds are something I go through about once every 6 months. I like to have an extra pair to keep in my gym bag. They break once in a while, or I'll lose a pair here and there, and I won't really care. I sure would care about losing or breaking a $200 pair!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #1206
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man those airpods are pure genius from Apple's standpoint. There's probably at least a 50/50 chance every customer that has one will lose at least one of the pods, and I also imagine they'll never sell individual pods, and that you'll always have to buy a pair. For $220....for sound quality still worse than the $20 Sony ones I buy.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #1207
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Next up: special wall plugs for iPhone 8. Requires you to physically change your power plug at home for it to be compatible with iPhone 8 charger.

Apple's plan is to own the game top and bottom.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #1208
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like pylon, I'm still grumpy about the change to the lightening port and trying to use adapters (I've given up).

The deletion of the headphone jack is a bridge too far.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #1209
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Those prices aren't much different from my 6+ purchased 2 years ago. I don't think much has changed on that front.

I really like the upgrades to be honest. Waterproofing will probably result in 75% fewer phone replacements. It feels like everybody I know has dropped a phone in something over the years.

Overall the phones are just too good now. While I like the 7, I see no real reason to upgrade my 2 year old phone.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #1210
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

LOL.

I'm out. And Apple Music was so good too, which is a shame. Maybe there is some Android app that will allow the use of it, but enough is enough.

I will replace my 6 for the 3rd time under warranty for a bad screen, and hope I can milk a couple years out of it. I'll buy the OEM battery extension case as well. But that will be my last Apple hardware purchase.

It's getting to the point now where it's like someone is daring them to see how far they can screw their customers, and still get money.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #1211
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Looks like it's back to the good old days of Apple stuff being cheaper in the US.

Thanks Trudeau.

That jet black color has ScratchGate written all over it.

Also, series 2 watch is everything series 1 should have been, which isn't a compliment - In two years they literally haven't made a single improvement to external design?

From Apple's iPhone 7 site, in the fine print...
Quote:
The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.
http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #1212
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, the headphone thing really sucks. When my old iPhone stops working I'll probably be switching to something else. At least until prices for wireless headphones come down. Pretty disappointing.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #1213
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

People complaining about the lack of 3.5mm jack are entering "Get off my lawn" territory.

Why are people so attached to a technology that is 40 years old?
Old 09-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #1214
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because it works? Everyone has a plethora of devices that have it?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #1215
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

At those prices I'll be keeping my 5s for a while longer. Waterproofing is a great feature though.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #1216
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
People complaining about the lack of 3.5mm jack are entering "Get off my lawn" territory.

Because I have about 7 pairs of headphones, all of which work really well. I think most people, after buying an already expensive phone, would rather not drop another $200 on another pair of easy to lose headphones.

This article sums up my thoughts on it pretty well:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...s_instead.html

Quote:
In place of the venerable 3.5mm port, Apple proposes two alternatives.

First, the new phones will come boxed with a set of earbuds that connect via the Lightning port, as well as an adaptor for your old headphones. Yes, the Lightning port is the same one you use to charge the phone. Yes, that means you won't be able to charge the phone and listen to headphones at the same time.

Second, Apple will begin pushing wireless earbuds, which you'll have to buy separately if you want them. Conveniently, Apple now owns Beats, which specializes in making headphones, a new line of which will be wireless.

Conveniently for them, I mean. Not for you.
Quote:
For the most part, though, we knew or suspected all of this going into Wednesday’s event. So for those mourning their soon-to-be obsolete headphones, the real question was: What would Apple offer in exchange?

Well, for one thing, you can now drop your iPhone in the toilet. I mean, you could do that before, but now when you get it back out, there’s a decent chance it will continue to function. Eliminating the headphone jack enabled Apple to seal the phone at last, making it “dust and water resistant,” albeit not fully waterproof.

Meanwhile, the iPhone for the first time will have stereo speakers, a feature that will be welcomed by the kind of oblivious jerks who walk around with their phone’s sound turned on.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #1217
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

40+60.

Because it works, because it isn't proprietary, because this has nothing to do with "courage" and all to do with pushing people to a connection type apple owns. Because I want a set of headphones that work with everything, not another ugly clunky easily lost adapter. The 6.35 jack already gets misplaced and is annoying enough.

"The new iPhone is beautiful, thin, look at that jet black finish.. Now jam this ugly adapter up it's backside you dirty whore "
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #1218
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Because it simply worked and they they could get new ones at any price point that they want.

The only compelling reason to get rid of it from a consumer perspective is to go cordless.

But right now this looks like a move to simply get people to buy new Beats headphones with the lightning connector.

Personally, I don't think it will be that bad - bluetooth headphones have dropped in price and improved in quality a lot in the past year. But lots of people have found headphones that they like and this risks making them obsolete, or at least force them to carry an additional (adapter) cord.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #1219
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Because 3.5mm works, and bluetooth can be a pain in the ass.

There was no need to mess with it, other than to try to sell you more bluetooth devices such as Beats headphones, also owned by Apple.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #1220
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's the combination of annoyances of having to deal with either extra things to charge or flaky lightning connectors. Plus the whole thinness thing is a sham. I rarely spot iPhones outside of a bulky case, so what's the point?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote