Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #661
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

MLB needs to:

1) Vacate the 2017 World Series title. This means completely removing anything associating the Astros to the ‘17 playoffs. An asterisk is not enough.

2) Require the Astros to return the total playoff bonus money awarded players and baseball staff. Reallocate this equally to all other players in the ‘17 playoffs. Not a huge sum, but it sends a message.

3) Stop brushing aside the shoddy “investigation” into the wearable buzzer issue. MLB is acting like they’re scared of the PA. If guilty, players should face a steep penalty, but not banishment. Return bonus money, removal from future HOF consideration etc. 1-2 year ban.

I can’t wait until the first Yankees-Houston series this year. What’s the over/under on beaned Astros and bench clearing brawls? CC may come out of retirement just to chuck beanballs and knuckles.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #662
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
What’s the over/under on beaned Astros and bench clearing brawls?

0.5, and I'll take the under. Unless, of course, you want to argue that the Yankees are basically going to be so completely out of control that they won't even try to win games, favouring instead assaulting players on the other team.

And if the Yankees do what you want them to, then your own players will deserve long suspensions and big fines of their own.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #663
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

0.5, and I'll take the under. Unless, of course, you want to argue that the Yankees are basically going to be so completely out of control that they won't even try to win games, favouring instead assaulting players on the other team.

And if the Yankees do what you want them to, then your own players will deserve long suspensions and big fines of their own.
Point taken, but these things escalate quickly when batters are thrown at, which I believe is a certainty. Escalating to the point of assaulting players in favour of winning.. that's a bit dramatic.

Never suggested I want the Yankees to do this, but plunking batters happens all the time... and if there was ever a reason to.

We'll see.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #664
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Were talking about a sport that will throw balls at you for not running hard enough/watching a hit slightly long etc etc...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #665
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If Larry Walker doesn't get voted into the Hall of Fame today, I think I will hate the HOF voters more than the Astros.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #666
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
If Larry Walker doesn't get voted into the Hall of Fame today, I think I will hate the HOF voters more than the Astros.
You can hate Astros more.

He's in.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #667
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1219760581143646213
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #668
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is incredible news

I'm pretty much a Cooperstown junkie- made the trek to see Raines inducted. its the best sports hall , but its not without its quirks

first off- he's a Rockie, and deservedly so so kudos to the fans of that franchise

but...he's also a frickin' Expo! the 6th player that was produced by their farm system to be inducted- that is the most going back at least to 1960 I believe and possible longer- four of those are outfielders- incredible

and the 2nd member of the 94 team- feels right that there are two- him and Pedro, although that's sort of the poster child problem with the 94 team- they found greatness elsewhere

most incredibly though- a Canadian! Fergie Jenkins, you've got company. and a multi sport guy (like Iggy- Hockey and Baseball). not bad when you make the HOF in your fall back sport!

this should likely close the book on the Expos in the Hall, I believe at 9 (Carter, Johnson, Pedro, Smith, Perez, Dawson, Raines, Walker, Vlad) players- unless something weird happens with Rose or someone gets the Harold Baines treatment out of the blue...or Bartolo Colon comes back and plays for another 20 years..

anyways woohoo. amazing
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #669
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well deserved!

His career slash line is unreal: .313/.400/.565 with a career OPS+ of 145!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #670
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

nice
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #671
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's about damn time! Walker should have been inducted in 2001, damn it! Also, seriously. Who else could rock a neon yellow Spongebob Squarepants shirt when giving interviews?

Also, it's amusing watching Yankee fans melt down over the one voter who didn't pick Jeter. It's utterly amazing that a fanbase with that many titles is so adept at passing themselves off as perpetual victims.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #672
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

That spongebob shirt was hilarious. He’s got that fun uncle vibe down pat. So stoked for him!
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #673
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's about damn time! Walker should have been inducted in 2001, damn it! Also, seriously. Who else could rock a neon yellow Spongebob Squarepants shirt when giving interviews?

Also, it's amusing watching Yankee fans melt down over the one voter who didn't pick Jeter. It's utterly amazing that a fanbase with that many titles is so adept at passing themselves off as perpetual victims.
You just know it’s a Red Sox Writer who didn’t vote for Jeter.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #674
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
That spongebob shirt was hilarious. He’s got that fun uncle vibe down pat. So stoked for him!
just reading him online he's obviously just a very decent dude

the funniest memory for me is Walker v Johnson in the 97 (I think?) allstar game where Johnson soars one at his head so Walker switches over , flips his helmet, and starts hitting from the right side

Walker and Johnson came up through the Expos minors more or less in parallel- pretty cool to think (the beauty of baseball) that you could have caught a minor league game in Indianapolis or elsewhere back in the day and saw at least 2 HOFers on the field- rarely happens in the other sports- even hockey- as many HOFers skip the minors alltogether
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #675
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Pure Canadian.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1219768445316870144
Old 01-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #676
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
yeah that's what I was thinking- him, his brother and his best friend up all last night watching Rush videos

screw the Rockies cap he should go in wearing a Rockies Toque!
Old 01-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #677
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will never forgive baseball for stealing the World Series from the Expos. I'm pretty sure I watched the most Expos games in Western Canada between 84 and 94!

I pretty much stopped watching after the 95 series when my 3 favourite expos Walker, Grissom and Wetteland left and turned all their new teams into world series contenders. FU baseball!
Old 01-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #678
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I will never forgive baseball for stealing the World Series from the Expos. I'm pretty sure I watched the most Expos games in Western Canada between 84 and 94!

I pretty much stopped watching after the 95 series when my 3 favourite expos Walker, Grissom and Wetteland left and turned all their new teams into world series contenders. FU baseball!
1995 world series...Grissom over Hill
1996 world series Wetteland (MVP)
1997 world series Alou (dominant)/Floyd over Grissom (ALCS MVP)
etc etc
Old 01-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #679
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1220076297382244353
Old 01-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #680
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

So after reading everything that has come out about this cheating scandal, I can't for the life of me understand how a title stripping isn't automatic. This was blatant systemic cheating that assuredly won these two teams their titles.

You take those away with what we know. Very confusing why you wouldn't. The only reason I can think of is to preserve a fake reality for the fans and players of the winning teams.

What a brutal display of sportsmanship by these organizations. It's basically stealing wins with how good they were at this.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: