Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #201
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the water.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #202
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like Katz has the same sinus infection as Mickey Rourke. I didn’t know Botox helped with sinus infections. Sorry couldn’t help it. I hope he’s ok.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #203
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Damn, I saw a better picture of him. He looks rough, but hopefully he gets through it
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #204
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #205
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
It's the water.
Are you insinuating that his sinus infection was acquired through the Edmonton water supply?

Because apparently Edmonton's water can be blamed for a lot of things.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #206
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
to be fair he was voted one of sports illustrated's top ten managers of the decade.... a decade ago

classic Oilers, forgetting what decade they're in
This is a step 15 years into the future for the franchise. Instead of the rest of the OBC, who are living in the mid-80s, they brought in someone from the late-90s.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #207
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
There's nothing wrong with not taking risks in the trade market. You never see people getting fired for trades they didn't make.
For sure.

But you won't keep your job doing nothing either. And the Oilers are going to have to go one of two ways.

1) patience for contracts to roll off
2) pain to move out some bodies

2 requires some trade experience and he hasn't made many hockey swaps in the last five years.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #208
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just impossible for the Oilers to speak by doing. Every single thing they've done has been the best, and their repeated failures hasn't given them any pause from making that claim every time.

Failure of a season leads to hiring a new manager. Up and comer? A lot of work to do? A great vision for the cap problems they have?
No, a top-10 manager in ANY sport.

Where the hell do they get the confidence to spout this next to another teams cast-off?

He's been involved in successful teams, as has every single addition that's failed up to this point. He's got a lot to prove, and a big mess infront of him. He could very well be the best thing to happen in Edmonton, but why not temper the hype just once?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #209
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
For sure.

But you won't keep your job doing nothing either. And the Oilers are going to have to go one of two ways.

1) patience for contracts to roll off

2) pain to move out some bodies

2 requires some trade experience and he hasn't made many hockey swaps in the last five years.
And I think patience for 1 ran out when they drafted McDavid
Old 05-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #210
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He actually makes a good point, Holland took over a great team with no financial constraints in a pre-cap era along with some scouts who were killing it in Russia and Sweden.

The Detroit organization innovated, but when the rest of the league caught up they couldnt change it up and stay ahead.

So I guess we have to see where Holland is on that spectrum, but I'd wager and I dont mean to stereotype here, but 62 year olds are not notorious for their innovation skills.
When it comes to scouting, catching up to the rest of the league is a big improvement for the Oilers.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #211
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I just watched the debacle of a press conference. Did anyone catch this gem from Sugar-daddy Katz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz
"The objective has always been the same, and that's why you see the Greatest Arena in the World™ and one of the greatest developments in the world across the street. That's our commitment to this city and to hockey in this marketplace. And it's not a short-term commitment, it's a long-term commitment.

"Relative to our discussions about Kenny and what he did in Detroit, I think the eliteness of the system, the team and the process that he developed; for me is what I want to see. You saw what happened in the first round of the playoffs this year: if you get in, it's like another season. Anything can happen.

"You know, our objective has to be to be competitive year in and year out, and that's what builds an elite team. And I can tell you that with the core that we have—in the playoffs, these young guys—I just have the sense that we have the abilities to take it to another level...

"Ken Holland is on the top-ten list of General Managers of EVERY sport, so it is a unique individual that has this skill-set and vision to create a culture (using your words) that can lead and develop this franchise into an elite team... I think we're fortunate that—as Kenny said—we have the core with maybe the ability to do some things where we can be competitive very quickly.

"Make no mistake: Our objective is to build the Oilers into one of the elite teams in the League, who every year, we're there. And if we get in, WATCH OUT."
So much delusion. It's just a problem with the culture, apparently. The "elite core" is already there in Edmonton, and it is so good that once the team actually, eventually makes the playoffs the Oilers will run roughshod over the rest of the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #212
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lol Detroit is probably in the worst shape out of all 31 teams and that's all on Kenny. The Oilers think he's going to be a saviour? This is going to be goooooooooood.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #213
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I caught a distinct whiff of 2006 - 2013 Flames ownership's failed strategy of "just get into the playoffs at all costs" in what Katz is selling. One negative of the aberration that is the 2019 NHL playoffs is that a lot of teams are going to put way too much stock into just getting into the playoffs and anything can happen. If the finals end up as Sharks vs Bruins (two teams many expected could do just that) do any of those first round upsets really matter that much? I suppose if it's a matter of a small handful of playoff game revenue and make no mistake that is important to Katz (and Flames owners) but the goal of making the 7th or 8th playoff spot in your conference at all costs leads to a low ceiling of a team always teetering on collapse.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #214
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I caught a distinct whiff of 2006 - 2013 Flames ownership's failed strategy of "just get into the playoffs at all costs" in what Katz is selling. One negative of the aberration that is the 2019 NHL playoffs is that a lot of teams are going to put way too much stock into just getting into the playoffs and anything can happen. If the finals end up as Sharks vs Bruins (two teams many expected could do just that) do any of those first round upsets really matter that much? I suppose if it's a matter of a small handful of playoff game revenue and make no mistake that is important to Katz (and Flames owners) but the goal of making the 7th or 8th playoff spot in your conference at all costs leads to a low ceiling of a team always teetering on collapse.
To be fair, Carolina, Colorado and Dallas all basically squeaked in and could make up 3 of the 4 conference finalists if the chips fall the right way.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #215
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stauffer couldn’t wait 2 hours to make the Jim Rutherford comparison.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #216
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Don't have much to add other than: everyone here should be hoping that Katz recovers fully from his condition, it must be incredibly difficult to deal with

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #217
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I just watched the debacle of a press conference. Did anyone catch this gem from Sugar-daddy Katz?

So much delusion. It's just a problem with the culture, apparently. The "elite core" is already there in Edmonton, and it is so good that once the team actually, eventually makes the playoffs the Oilers will run roughshod over the rest of the NHL.
Greatest arena and best entertainment district? Nope. Vegas' arena is better. And the new entertainment district they built on that street would be better even if the Strip wasn't already there.

I think the Yotes' arena is better too. Great lines, great food venues and the entertainment district is good too (so is the one by the ball field).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #218
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't have much to add other than: everyone here should be hoping that Katz recovers fully from his condition, it must be incredibly difficult to deal with
Having a health problem is one thing but a billionaire looking like a homeless crack addict is all on him.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #219
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. I hope he has a long life ahead of him living out his dream of collecting all the 1980s Oilers
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #220
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz
Ken Holland is on the top-ten list of General Managers of EVERY sport
*Pre salary cap. Since then, managing contracts hasn't been his forte, and that's something that Edmonton is going to need badly right now
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote