Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #61
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
A fifth of the respondents want Gaudreau traded? Yikes.

We pretend that series never happened.
Too high of a percentage getting rid of Dube also.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #62
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default You be the boss results are in

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
That’s reasonable as they actually went to the finals.

Last edited by Reaper; 04-30-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #63
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Umm.. that's the Western Conference champs they won 2 years ago on their way to The Cup Finals.

I think this is the one you were hoping to mock:

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 10:45 AM   #64
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Umm.. that's the Western Conference champs they won 2 years ago on their way to The Cup Finals.

I think this is the one you were hoping to mock:

theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #65
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I'm sure glad the average fan (including the average Calgary pucker) aren't running the team.

It'd be like that time twitch let chat play pokemon.

Calm your tits Calgary.
I am 100% on board with the first and third things you wrote....have no clue what the second line means and that's ok because I am picking up what you are laying down..
Old 04-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #66
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
I am 100% on board with the first and third things you wrote....have no clue what the second line means and that's ok because I am picking up what you are laying down..
It let a bunch of users, using a chat window, relay commands to a chatbot for input to play Pokemon. Up, Down, B, A etc.

Naturally this meant that a lot of trolls spammed B to cancel everything, causing something as simple as a visit to the Poke Mart to take astronomical amounts of time to complete.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #67
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
What do you want him to do at 5'6 and 140lbs with his equipment on? He is a skill player, they shy away from contact. If you watched the Jets you saw Ehlers shy away from contact. William Nylander, same thing. Gaudreau is not Theo Fleury.
That is a problem because Ehlers and Nylander are supplementary players on the Jets and Leafs while Gaudreau is the man for the Flames. Fleury actualy elevated his game in the postseason which shows just how great of a player he was for younger fans that didn't get to see him play.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #68
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post
68% of the fan base thinking this season wasn't a failure is that exact reason why this franchise constantly accepts being average. The people will still flood the Saddledome and support four first round wins... in the history of the franchise.

Maybe next year
Am I missing something?

First round wins: 1981, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1989, 2003, 2015
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #69
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
The Caps made the playoffs every year and made the 2nd round every year while having great regular seasons. They kept losing to a team with 2 generational talents and i think lots of people saw that if they got over the hump if they beat the Penguins which is exactly what happened.

I dont see how that is comparable to a team that has won its division once and lost in 5 games to a team that wouldnt make the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years with their point totals. And our core missed how many playoffs earlier? Comparing us to Washington is dumb they have been a consistant team every year that took the Penguins to the brink everytime. I cant stress enough how bad our loss this year was, we lost in 5 games with home ice advantage to the freaking 90 point Avs. This is in no way comparable to taking Crosby and Malkin to 7 games every year while winning rounds and having great regular seasons.

This team has the pieces in place but no #1 Centre and wont be successful until it does. We dont have the luxury of "learning to lose" since all we have been doing is lose in 4 or 5 games any of the last 3 times we faced actual nhl teams (if we even made the playoffs). Sorry for the rant but its frustrating seeing people compare us to freaking washington. They had more playoff series wins in 4 years (excluding their cup winning year) than we had in 30. This team is never going anywhere with Monahan as our #1C. Rest of our pieces however i agree i think they are fine but we are missing something crucial.
Since ovies first season to when the won the cup the have missed playoffs 3 times and lost first round 3 times in 12 years. 6 round 2 losses. 3 of the 9 times they lost a series in playoffs was against the penguins

Tons of fans said things like ovie is a choker or he will never win a cup. He had 12 years in nhl and 9 times losing early in the playoffs before getting it done. Flames are a pretty young team with very little experience. Even gio didn't step up in playoffs this year and he had almost no experience. This team is still learning. The playoffs are a different game

Refing also matters. Some years get called tighter than others. This year I feel whislte are put away more and I believe as a result big physical teams are doing better than 2 years ago when fast teams seem to be winning
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #70
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That is a problem because Ehlers and Nylander are supplementary players on the Jets and Leafs while Gaudreau is the man for the Flames. Fleury actualy elevated his game in the postseason which shows just how great of a player he was for younger fans that didn't get to see him play.
Plus, I watched the Bruins-Leafs series and Nylander was playing the body just fine - I was actually shocked by how physical he was willing to get.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #71
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Plus, I watched the Bruins-Leafs series and Nylander was playing the body just fine - I was actually shocked by how physical he was willing to get.
When he wanted to play that is. Which seemed to be about half the time.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #72
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
When he wanted to play that is. Which seemed to be about half the time.
That's a separate issue, but I was just saying he could play the physical game just fine, which is more than I would have expected of a Nylander.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #73
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
It'd be like that time twitch let chat play pokemon.
Ha! Totally!! Who doesn’t remember THAT classic moment?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #74
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
As I noted in a previous thread, the experience argument is BS.

Before Game 5 - COL has an average of 18 games of playoff experience (including this series). The Flames average is 17. Take away these last four games and 9 COL players have less than 10 PO games. (CGY has 10) COL hasn't even dressed their most experienced PO player - Brassard with 92 PO games - in the last two games. They have 2 guys with over 50 PO games. Flames have 1. COL has 1 player who has won a cup. So do the Flames.

Grubauer has 41 PO games - but how many of those as a spectator in the best seat in the house?

Experience in the playoffs is not the difference here.A big chunk of COL's players also saw their first playoff games. Seems to me COL - especially Mackinnon (20 playoff games - including this year) did more with their "limited" experience than the Flames.

Perhaps the "Favorite" vs the "Underdog" mentality is a heavy factor.
It's not, though. The reason it is not is because not all players are identical in how they develop and trend and learn and grow.

For years Pavol Datsyuk was widely regarded as an excellent, highly skilled player who was just not gritty enough, big enough or tenacious enough to succeed in the playoffs. He did not start to break through in the post season until he was nearly 30-years-old, and after four playoff appearances.

Some players take longer than others to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #75
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...gs-from-brodie

Quote:
“He does have a big role,” Peters said. “It’s funny, we were breaking down some video from the year and in a certain scenario, (Brodie) ended up in 80% of the clips and they were all about his skating speed and his skating ability and his ability to leave people in d-zone transition.

“We were trying to get a bunch of clips put together of everybody, but he kept popping up in all of them. Why? Because he skates so well each and every night.”

Brodie’s skating has always been arguably his greatest asset. The guy can just move around the ice better than most, and that’s going to be important against a team like the Avalanche, who are quick in transition and have as speedy a top line as you’re likely to find anywhere in the league.

At this point I'd love to see TJ get traded to Toronto. Calgary is going to miss him more than fans realize, which makes me sad but will definitely make it better not to have to see any more darts thrown at him on these boards. Valimaki looks great as a shooter with size, but he got his butt whipped by McKinnon a couple times- not even close in speed to TJ, and fans are going to see that immediately next year. It will be interesting to see what happens.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #76
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It's not, though. The reason it is not is because not all players are identical in how they develop and trend and learn and grow.

For years Pavol Datsyuk was widely regarded as an excellent, highly skilled player who was just not gritty enough, big enough or tenacious enough to succeed in the playoffs. He did not start to break through in the post season until he was nearly 30-years-old, and after four playoff appearances.

Some players take longer than others to figure it out.
So the Flames are just......slow on the uptake?
Mackinnon made the most of his 20 PO game experience while Johnny is still working on it after his 20?

Every player is a playoff bust, until they are not. Ovechkin couldn't get it done, until he did. Couldn't win with Kessel, until they did. Each players' experience is their unique own, which is why I think it can't be used as proof of winning or an excuse for losing.

I get that players develop along different trajectories. Some start hot and plateau early, while others don't hit their stride until much later. Cool.

But the "Not enough playoff experience vs COL was a factor" is a trumped up excuse for a 2019 first round loss. "What did you expect, CGY dressed half a team with no playoff experience" - Guess what, so did COL! "They dressed guys who have won it all before." - NO, we each had 1 player with a ring.

I think the "favorite vs underdog", along with play in the last 10 games of the season were more a factor than playoff experience. Teams that were fighting to get in took that momentum into the post-season in pretty much every series. Having something to prove also played a factor for a couple of teams (STL, NYI) & players.

Next year it's our guys who will have something to prove. Hopefully that and some forward, fighting momentum will lead to a longer run.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #77
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
So the Flames are just......slow on the uptake?
Mackinnon made the most of his 20 PO game experience while Johnny is still working on it after his 20?
Quite possibly, yes.

Quote:
Every player is a playoff bust, until they are not. Ovechkin couldn't get it done, until he did. Couldn't win with Kessel, until they did. Each players' experience is their unique own, which is why I think it can't be used as proof of winning or an excuse for losing.
I would tend to agree, but I also think that a player's individual experience with playoff hockey, how he handles it, how he is trending must be factored into consideration. My point is not that a lack of playoff experience is the reason why the Flames lost, but I do think it was a factor for more than one high-impact player, and it is not something that can always be discounted outright.

Quote:
...I think the "favorite vs underdog", along with play in the last 10 games of the season were more a factor than playoff experience. Teams that were fighting to get in took that momentum into the post-season in pretty much every series. Having something to prove also played a factor for a couple of teams (STL, NYI) & players.

Next year it's our guys who will have something to prove. Hopefully that and some forward, fighting momentum will lead to a longer run.
I think this was also something that worked against the Flames this year, but again, it was not just one reason why they played so poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #78
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default You be the boss results are in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...gs-from-brodie

At this point I'd love to see TJ get traded to Toronto. Calgary is going to miss him more than fans realize, which makes me sad but will definitely make it better not to have to see any more darts thrown at him on these boards. Valimaki looks great as a shooter with size, but he got his butt whipped by McKinnon a couple times- not even close in speed to TJ, and fans are going to see that immediately next year. It will be interesting to see what happens.

What are you talking about? Brodie was rag dolled the entire series, didn’t utilize his speed at all defensively and showed zero physicality as usual. He’s the exact type of player you don’t win with in the playoffs with. The guy is at his peak right now and he still makes rookie mistakes and is the flames softest Dman. Can’t wait till he’s gone

If Valimaki got his “butt whipped” by Mackinnon, Brodie got eviscerated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 05-01-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #79
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really remember Valimaki getting his butt whipped. What I remember most vividly is the second pairing getting absolutely dominated and Brodie/Gio playing OK but Brodie with some huge mistakes that really cost the team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #80
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't really remember Valimaki getting his butt whipped. What I remember most vividly is the second pairing getting absolutely dominated and Brodie/Gio playing OK but Brodie with some huge mistakes that really cost the team.

I like you. And I normally agree with most of what you say (except I still don't know why you like Houston

I have blocked a lot of people this year for being needlessly relentless about several players, but most people on these boards are fair and mindful, and I really do appreciate those people. Being involved with Calgary Puck has been such a fun experience for me, and I am fairly sad that I might be 'BigBrodieFan' on a different message board soon.

That being said, TJ has given 8 years to the Flames and he has a done a lot of good. His most valuable asset has been his speed, regardless if anyone wants to admit it or not. It's what gives him the most value. Valimaki is a great kid and he's going to be a great player for the Flames, as is Andersson, Kyl, etc, etc. However, you are going to notice a definite lack of speed from your blue line with Brodie gone.

Next year, you'll just have a couple of more whipping boys- and one or two of them will be slow defensemen. Maybe they wouldn't be slow to some teams, but you've been spoiled by a very fast blue line. It's especially going to look slower without Mike Smith to help the D avoid getting hit, and having puck battles in the boards.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post: