Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #41
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Gaga is either the most in love person ever, or the best actress ever, either way that performance last night will probably result in a one night baby boom. The Favourite was definitely the best movie I saw last year so very happy Colman won although I still don't quite understand why she was nominated for lead when Stone and Weisz both had more screen time (although Colman certainly the best performance).
Old 02-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #42
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Of course it's just my opinion
Mine too!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #43
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Green Book is worth the watch, while in "normal" years it wouldn't win top film. I also would have been fine with The Favourite, Bohemian Rhapsody or A Star is Born but Roma sucked IMO and shouldn't have even got a nomination. kind of a bad year for films really!

No way that BH should have even been in the nomination for best picture. Remi was amazing and the music was great of course, but everything else was average at best, and a few parts were downright insulting. It was obvious that this movie was a complete Brian May vanity project while watching it, would have been so much better if they could have done it with no input or control from the rest of the band
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #44
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So Gaga is either the most in love person ever, or the best actress ever, either way that performance last night will probably result in a one night baby boom. The Favourite was definitely the best movie I saw last year so very happy Colman won although I still don't quite understand why she was nominated for lead when Stone and Weisz both had more screen time (although Colman certainly the best performance).
Most in love? Didn’t she just break off an engagement? Might be behind in my gossip.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #45
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Holy ####! Regina King won an academy award, didn't even know she was nominated. I only know her from playing the foul mouthed kids from The Boondocks, but do I ever love her for it.

NSWF Language

NSFW!
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #46
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

It seems like Bradley Cooper is really chasing an Oscar the past couple years, and he keeps on falling short. I wonder if his ego can handle that.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #47
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I liked the awards without the schtick of a lame host.
I didn't miss the 30 extra minutes of bad jokes.

my god, Lucy Boynton is beautiful, though. with her by his side, I almost didn't notice Rami Malek was there.
I agree big time. The hosts are usually fine, but it feels like there's often a running gag that falls flat out the gate and keeps going through the night. NPH had that briefcase... Kimmel surprises people... sometimes it makes for decent entertainment. Mostly though it just leaves me wondering if it'd be better to cut the 10 minute joke and give everybody an extra minute to thank their dead parents before the mic is cut and they're played off the stage.

My preference would be Tina and Amy with no "skit" beyond the opening monologue. It'd be awesome.

Last edited by Russic; 02-25-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #48
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Holy ####! Regina King won an academy award, didn't even know she was nominated. I only know her from playing the foul mouthed kids from The Boondocks, but do I ever love her for it.

NSWF Language

NSFW!
Regina King is pretty much awesome in everything she does. I really enjoyed her work in the TV series "Southland". Big fan of hers.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #49
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

In terms of presenters, the entire show was 'B' Team. When is the Academy going to figure out that every single presenter needs to be a comedian? If they are not going to consider comedy 'art', at least they can give them the job of entertainment.

Or just have Lucy Boynton stand up there and hand out statues. I didn't really know who she was, but I have to agree that when she was on the screen, that's all that I could see.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #50
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think there is a lot of pushback on comedians. People in the industry take the awards extremely seriously and often hate when comedians are yucking it up on the holiest of holy nights.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
It seems like Bradley Cooper is really chasing an Oscar the past couple years, and he keeps on falling short. I wonder if his ego can handle that.
That or he's doing a good job picking his roles.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #52
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think Spike knew he wasn't going to win Director or Picture, so he did his rant when he won for Adapted Screenplay.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #53
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They don't really strike me as Oscar bait movies. They are mostly pretty commercial movies, that had some award attention. He did a good job of moving his career from the guy from the Hangover Movies.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #54
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
They don't really strike me as Oscar bait movies. They are mostly pretty commercial movies, that had some award attention. He did a good job of moving his career from the guy from the Hangover Movies.
Yeah that's what I think as well. Mostly mainstream movies that happened to end up highly acclaimed. That said he apparently did a great job in his Broadway rendition of The Elephant Man a few years back so he's not exactly playing things safe either.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-25-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #55
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Spike Lee not happy with Green Book winning best picture

Old 02-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #56
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

spike lee is never happy.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #57
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some perspective on Spike's point. Here is Wesley Morris, one of the most decorated critics in america.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/a...riendship.html

Quote:
Any time a white person comes anywhere close to the rescue of a black person the academy is primed to say, “Good for you!,” whether it’s “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “Mississippi Burning,” “The Blind Side,” or “The Help.” The year “Driving Miss Daisy” won those Oscars, Morgan Freeman also had a supporting role in a drama (“Glory”) that placed a white Union colonel at its center and was very much in the mix that night. (Denzel Washington won his first Oscar for playing a slave-turned-Union soldier in that movie.) And Spike Lee lost the original screenplay award for “Do the Right Thing,” his masterpiece about a boiled-over pot of racial animus in Brooklyn. I was 14 then, and the political incongruity that night was impossible not to feel. “Driving Miss Daisy” and “Glory” were set in the past and the people who loved them seemed stuck there. The giddy reception for “Miss Daisy” seemed earnest. But Lee’s movie dramatized a starker truth — we couldn’t all just get along.

Quote:
Money buys Don a chauffeur and, apparently, an education in black folkways and culture. (Little Richard? He’s never heard him play.) Shirley’s real-life family has objected to the portrait. Their complaints include that he was estranged from neither black people nor blackness. Even without that thumbs-down, you can sense what a particularly perverse fantasy this is: that absolution resides in a neutered black man needing a white guy not only to protect and serve him, but to love him, too. Even if that guy and his Italian-American family and mob associates refer to Don and other black people as eggplant and coal. In the movie’s estimation, their racism is preferable to its nasty, blunter southern cousin because their racism is often spoken in Italian. And, hey, at least Tony never asks Don to eat his fancy dinner in a supply closet.
Quote:
Mahershala Ali is acting Shirley’s isolation and glumness, but the movie determines that dining with racists is better than dining alone. The money buys Don relative safety, friendship, transportation and a walking-talking black college. What the money can’t buy him is more of the plot in his own movie. It can’t allow him to bask in his own unique, uniquely dreamy artistry. It can’t free him from a movie that sits him where Miss Daisy sat, yet treats him worse than Hoke. He’s a literal passenger on this white man’s trip. Tony learns he really likes black people. And thanks to Tony, now so does Don.

Last edited by corporatejay; 02-25-2019 at 03:40 PM.
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corporatejay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #58
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Maybe they need a David Niven type to host. Respected actor that has a quick wit. George Clooney? Robert Downey?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #59
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I guess he cast himself in Star is Born. He chewed a little scenery in that movie, Gaga was really the understated one.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #60
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We could see Bohemian Rhapsody repeated again this year, with Rocketman, and Taron Egerton as Elton John. Seems to be what the Academy likes.