Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #61
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Think it can cruise past Avatar inflation adjusted? Which is $3.2 billion BTW.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #62
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the franchise's 22 films have now grossed over $19.8 billion worldwide, of which nine have topped $1 billion at the global box office.
Disney bought Marvel 10 years ago for $4.24 billion.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #63
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Think it can cruise past Avatar inflation adjusted? Which is $3.2 billion BTW.
The challenge for Endgame is that so many wanted to see it opening weekend to avoid spoilers and due to the lingering cliffhanger. So you’d have to think it won’t have the legs of Avatar. It has a huge head start obviously but will it be enough? I predict it won’t make it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #64
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Weekend isn't over and Endgame has already decimated all prior opening records at $1.2billion. Hasn't even opened in all international markets yet.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4507
Those foreign numbers are crazy.

I'm not going to say anything about this movie bit shattering records, after I was clearly wrong on Captain Marvel's legs.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #65
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The challenge for Endgame is that so many wanted to see it opening weekend to avoid spoilers and due to the lingering cliffhanger. So you’d have to think it won’t have the legs of Avatar. It has a huge head start obviously but will it be enough? I predict it won’t make it.
It needs 2.3 times earnings from here on out. Batman Vs Superman has a 1.98 multiplier. So it would have to be historically frontloaded not to make it to 2.4.

I do agree that the no spoilers definitely will be more front loaded than the normal marvel movies that get 2.5 to 3. It also has big summer releases following that will hit it as well.

I’d go 50/50 odds it will make it. It will easily clear Titanic.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #66
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Titanic is over $3 billion inflation adjusted.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #67
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one thing that could hurt End Game breaking Avatars record is competition. Detective Pikachu will be a big hit especially in the foreign market and is coming out May 10th and John Wick 3 and Aladdin come out soon and will take away a lot of screens. Going to be a photo finish but I think it will do it.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #68
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might sound dumb, but how can a sequel like this outpace the previous film so dramatically at the box office? Are there really that many people watching Endgame who didn't watch Infinity War? Or who streamed Infinity War instead of going to a theatre but are now making the trip to a theatre to watch its sequel?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #69
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This might sound dumb, but how can a sequel like this outpace the previous film so dramatically at the box office? Are there really that many people watching Endgame who didn't watch Infinity War? Or who streamed Infinity War instead of going to a theatre but are now making the trip to a theatre to watch its sequel?
I definitely think there are some people who didn’t see the previous movie until Netflix or whatever. This one definitely has the event feel to it so those viewers probably want to see it in theatres. Then you’ve got those people who will see it multiple times in theatres. I don’t really know if that’s a large group that impacts the box office much but I suppose you’ll have more of those people this time around.

I see the North American box office was revised upwards to $357 million.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #70
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cause everyone who saw the 1st one will see this one, plus everyone who watched it some other way since release.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #71
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus the quality of the first movie factors in. Infinity War was universally liked and built anticipation for the next one. You aren’t losing many customers from one to the other.

Compared to Star Wars where I suspect this Christmas you will see declining box office for the three movies in the trilogy.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #72
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
The one thing that could hurt End Game breaking Avatars record is competition. Detective Pikachu will be a big hit especially in the foreign market and is coming out May 10th and John Wick 3 and Aladdin come out soon and will take away a lot of screens. Going to be a photo finish but I think it will do it.
Lol. Aladdin.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #73
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This was the first marvel movie I've actually seen in the theatres, and it was simply because it''s the culmination of so much work.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #74
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Endgame at $1.786 billion heading into the 2nd weekend. Will probably break Infinity Wars $2.048 and Force Awakens $2.068B before the weekend is over.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...marvel2019.htm
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #75
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Endgame at $1.786 billion heading into the 2nd weekend. Will probably break Infinity Wars $2.048 and Force Awakens $2.068B before the weekend is over.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...marvel2019.htm
I'm not a huge 'Box-Office' fan, but wow. This is amazing.

I wonder if something like this was the grand plan 10 years ago when they set Marvel out on this path.

Just out of curiosity, whats the total that all of the Marvel Universe films associated with this project have made? Is that easily available somewhere? It would be interesting to see how much money this entire story-arc has made.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #76
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not a huge 'Box-Office' fan, but wow. This is amazing.

I wonder if something like this was the grand plan 10 years ago when they set Marvel out on this path.

Just out of curiosity, whats the total that all of the Marvel Universe films associated with this project have made? Is that easily available somewhere? It would be interesting to see how much money this entire story-arc has made.
MCU films along gross $20.5B so far, this is before merchandising and ancillary benefits for other Disney brands. Disney paid $4B for it and at the time tons of analysts thought Disney overpaid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...uperhero_films

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-04-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #77
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MCU films along gross $20.5B so far, this is before merchandising and ancillary benefits for other Disney brands. Disney paid $4B for it and at the time tons of analysts thought Disney overpaid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...uperhero_films
Jesus.

Between Marvel and Star Wars and now most of Fox.....

This is how the world ends....to the sound of applause.

One day Disney is going to buy us all and that day may have already come and gone.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #78
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Domestic box office is at 619 million.

If it tracks Infinity war from here on out it gets 922 which is short of TFA
If it tracks Civil War it gets to about 835

China is at 575 to and tracking to 607.
It has 996 million world wide minus China.

So the question is can it catch Avatar world wide at 2.788 Billion.

So it’s international minus China on the low end tracking domestically it would need 350 million to beat Avatar with the mid point drop between civil war and IW it needs about 300. Of it tracks Infinity war it needs 260 or so.

Id say 50/50 right now. If it can get a little better than the 607 from China and hit the midpoint of Infinity War and Civil it makes it. If it follows Civil Wars trends it misses.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #79
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yeah seems unlikely now it breaks the domestic box office record. Bit of a steeper drop this weekend than anticipated.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #80
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So Domestic box office is at 619 million.

If it tracks Infinity war from here on out it gets 922 which is short of TFA
If it tracks Civil War it gets to about 835

China is at 575 to and tracking to 607.
It has 996 million world wide minus China.

So the question is can it catch Avatar world wide at 2.788 Billion.

So it’s international minus China on the low end tracking domestically it would need 350 million to beat Avatar with the mid point drop between civil war and IW it needs about 300. Of it tracks Infinity war it needs 260 or so.

Id say 50/50 right now. If it can get a little better than the 607 from China and hit the midpoint of Infinity War and Civil it makes it. If it follows Civil Wars trends it misses.
It's already at $2.25B and that's before the 2nd weekend is up. It will break Avatar, it's just a matter of sooner or later at this point.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4509&p=.htm