Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #881
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rotate the bell under the handle bar, so I can flick it with my thumb, and brake at the same time while keeping full control.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #882
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
As some of you that follow me on Strava know- I did my first post-crash commute yesterday. (2/3 commute- to my buddy's house.) However, upon riding and reflecting I noticed an inherent flaw in my bike setup- one that if corrected would have prevented my crash. At the risk of being branded Captain Obvious- I'd like to share that with you all in the hopes that I might save somebody else some of my pain.

As I passed people; especially people with dogs, I made sure I slowed right down, gave the warning ding of my bell, and got ready for a louder ring and on the brakes. That's when I realized the flaw. My bell is controlled with my right hand; same as my rear brake. What that means is if I'm getting ready to ring the bell, my left hand is free to apply full braking to the front. If my bell was to be switched to my left hand, that would leave my right hand free to apply full braking to the rear brake.

So, make sure your bell is on your left side, leaving your right hand free for braking.

How was your setup exactly? I have my bell on my right, but I only use my thumb to give it a quick ding or two. My fingers are still available to pull both brake levers if necessary.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #883
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

So stupid question, I know nothing about bikes, but why even have two sets of brakes? Couldn't they design it so you push one trigger that breaks both front and back or why would that not be favourable? Is it just not enough force from one hand?

Whenever I'm biking and need to slow down or quickly brake I just always press on both.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #884
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's tough to get the balance right. Typically you need to apply different pressure to the front and rear so you don't endo. Squeeze the front to hard, and over you go. So if you have them linked, and brake suddenly you are more likely to endo.

I have a friend with one usable hand, and he had a custom setup made to work just like that, but it required vigilant adjustments to prevent endos.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #885
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

is it bad form to not have a bell? i just yell on your left and that seems to work. I dont really ride too many places with blind corners though
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #886
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
is it bad form to not have a bell? i just yell on your left and that seems to work. I dont really ride too many places with blind corners though
Im the same. If you’re moving fast you can yell quicker and safer then ring a bell. I have a bell on my bike as I think there’s a fine in Calgary if you don’t, but I don’t even know if it works.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #887
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's tough to get the balance right. Typically you need to apply different pressure to the front and rear so you don't endo. Squeeze the front to hard, and over you go. So if you have them linked, and brake suddenly you are more likely to endo.

I have a friend with one usable hand, and he had a custom setup made to work just like that, but it required vigilant adjustments to prevent endos.
I honestly couldn't tell you which brake was which when I'm riding. Mind you, I suck so I'm never going fast. But especially not in an emergency situation where all my thoughts are just on pressing the brakes. I have, however, been told to readjust your weight when braking so your butt is very far back and that will help prevent flipping over.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #888
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
It is against Calgary bylaws to not have a bell or horn on your bike. For what that's worth.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...-pathways.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #889
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I use a bell first and then yell if someone is oblivious/headphones on. I hate riding without a bell, I feel like an idiot yelling at someone from 20 feet back that I'm going to pass them.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #890
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bell or yell, depending on the situation, and if it appears they haven't heard me they get the thunderhorn.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #891
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to start up the Dothraki war cry as we approach people?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #892
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How was your setup exactly? I have my bell on my right, but I only use my thumb to give it a quick ding or two. My fingers are still available to pull both brake levers if necessary.
From right to left (two dimensionally) I have my brake, then the gear shift, then my bell dinger. However once you add in the depth that each one is at, it's just enough that I cannot have my thumb on the dinger, and be able to cover the handle. Which is why I thought my post might fall on the category of being an obvious mistake, but something that didn't occur to me until I was actually thinking about each action as I rode yesterday.

I may try Fuzz's idea of having it under, but may just move it to the front brake side.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #893
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have grip shift so I can't get the bell to close. So I screwed a piece of plastic onto the ringer nub to extend it, and make it easier to use with big gloves on.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #894
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my bell i son my right side, at this point i'd likely have issues working my bell with my left hand.

i try and slow down to manageable speed when passing folks especially those with dogs, but every once and a while you have a nice tail wind and you are workign on a strava time and you keep on hammering.

i guess i'd be inclined to give a couple of bell rings, then make sure i have both hands firmly on the bar and ready to grab a handful of brake.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #895
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
From right to left (two dimensionally) I have my brake, then the gear shift, then my bell dinger. However once you add in the depth that each one is at, it's just enough that I cannot have my thumb on the dinger, and be able to cover the handle. Which is why I thought my post might fall on the category of being an obvious mistake, but something that didn't occur to me until I was actually thinking about each action as I rode yesterday.

I may try Fuzz's idea of having it under, but may just move it to the front brake side.

This is my rig. I can keep some fingers on the brakes and be ready to flick the bell with my thumb. I don't keep a very firm grip on my handlebars at casual speeds. If I was going down a hill or otherwise going fast, I would keep a couple of finger over the brakes and have a better hold on the grips.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #896
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ cable operated brakes - how savage but yet vintage of you
Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #897
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ cable operated brakes - how savage but yet vintage of you

Change scares me.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #898
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/05/...iving-to-work/

Chu, Magliocca and Keating voted against the Idaho stop proposal with Magliocca wanting to re-institute a bike licence program.. SMH. They're also up in arms about hiring a cycling coordinator because they make more than councillors.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...ripDistance=16

My trip cost is $0.32 vs $40 cycling vs driving. No brainer for me.
Plus Deerfoot and Glenmore are a travesty in traffic.

Last edited by kermitology; 05-24-2019 at 09:27 AM.
kermitology is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kermitology For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #899
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing about the cycling coordinator is we already had one and were paying him, he has left for Vancouver so this is a search for a replacement. Not a new position that was just created.

My bike versus car cost was $0.19 to $23.50. Commute distance is 9.4km.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-24-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #900
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
This is my rig.
It looks like your gear shifters take up less space than mine. Here's my handlebars- you can see the mark where the bell was before:
Spoiler!

Took a little getting used to this morning, but I think the new placement will work better for me.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote