Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2018, 12:42 AM   #21
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The predominant theory is a will is not required because you will live forever or deal with that notion in your own suitable timeframe. Speaking of which, I better get my ass in to see Troutman. I keep dragging it forward in my calendar.
I've been 100% successful at living forever so far. Extrapolation seems reasonable with a success rate like that.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 02:56 AM   #22
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was going to start a new thread about this, but figured this may be as good a place as any.

My father in law passed away suddenly a few weeks ago. Without going into details, due to somewhat complicated and unpleasant family dynamics, we are looking for a lawyer to consult with to give us an idea what our options are.

Many thanks
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Does your executor need to live in Alberta? Someone told me that once which has been one of the reasons I've hesitated to do a will. The people I would prefer to ask live in Saskatchewan.
https://nwcalgarylaw.com/probate-bon...epresentative/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #24
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #22 View Post
I was going to start a new thread about this, but figured this may be as good a place as any.

My father in law passed away suddenly a few weeks ago. Without going into details, due to somewhat complicated and unpleasant family dynamics, we are looking for a lawyer to consult with to give us an idea what our options are.

Many thanks
pm troutman
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #25
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this isn't really a time pressing issue, but my mother has drawn up her will and named my brother and I as co-executors. I am not enthused about this for a couple of reasons - I have already done this with my dad's estate and I don't think my brother and I work well together on this, I also don't have a huge amount of trust in his ability to either do this alone or be completely transparent about things. He has made some comments about how he would like to do some property development and stuff and I am just not interested. I also simply don't have the time to babysit this and keep track of what is going where, etc. I think I would rather have her choose a lawyer to be executor, but is this a good idea?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So this isn't really a time pressing issue, but my mother has drawn up her will and named my brother and I as co-executors. I am not enthused about this for a couple of reasons - I have already done this with my dad's estate and I don't think my brother and I work well together on this, I also don't have a huge amount of trust in his ability to either do this alone or be completely transparent about things. He has made some comments about how he would like to do some property development and stuff and I am just not interested. I also simply don't have the time to babysit this and keep track of what is going where, etc. I think I would rather have her choose a lawyer to be executor, but is this a good idea?
One joint executor can always renounce their appointment to the other.

If neither of you want to manage the estate, appoint a Trust Company (not a lawyer).
Old 12-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #27
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
One joint executor can always renounce their appointment to the other.

If neither of you want to manage the estate, appoint a Trust Company (not a lawyer).

I think the issue is he does want to be the executor, whereas I agreed only because I don't really trust him with this alone, based on previous experience. I don't have the time though and I am not as nearby as he is, so I was looking for an option where we are both hands off and somebody else distributes the estate fairly.

It's not as toxic a relationship as it sounds, I just think he has other ideas that I don't agree with and I don't want to have to argue with him about them.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #28
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think the issue is he does want to be the executor, whereas I agreed only because I don't really trust him with this alone, based on previous experience. I don't have the time though and I am not as nearby as he is, so I was looking for an option where we are both hands off and somebody else distributes the estate fairly.

It's not as toxic a relationship as it sounds, I just think he has other ideas that I don't agree with and I don't want to have to argue with him about them.
He could act on his own, and still provide you a transparent accounting at regular intervals so you can oversee what is happening.

Or, hire a Trust Company - they take a fee of course, but they provide a great service.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #29
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wondering if online wills are of any use these days. I have no aversion to using a lawyer at all but I get frustrated with the nature of my potential estate. It changes at least yearly, often more frequently, in ways that require substantive alterations to any legal will I create. So I like the online products because they give you access to change pretty much any time you want.

Anything outside a lawyer used to be a hard no like those will kits you could buy for 50 bucks. But I'm single, kidless, kinless and will likely die without much consequence save for a charity or two. So it seems like I should be able to spin something up like this....

https://www.legalwills.ca/members/mywill_intro?t=t&ref=[write_a_will]gaw_cdnwill

Any thoughts?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ how does your will, in what you describe as a simple situation, change so frequently? I’m not asking for personal details or anything, but is it the assets or beneficiaries, or what’s causing that?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #31
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you are kid less, kin less, etc., what is it about changes to your estate that would necessitate constant changes to the will? Particular stocks or types of assets shouldn’t make a material difference.

Edit: Slavalossed
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 05-02-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #32
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'm wondering if online wills are of any use these days. I have no aversion to using a lawyer at all but I get frustrated with the nature of my potential estate. It changes at least yearly, often more frequently, in ways that require substantive alterations to any legal will I create. So I like the online products because they give you access to change pretty much any time you want.

Anything outside a lawyer used to be a hard no like those will kits you could buy for 50 bucks. But I'm single, kidless, kinless and will likely die without much consequence save for a charity or two. So it seems like I should be able to spin something up like this....

https://www.legalwills.ca/members/mywill_intro?t=t&ref=[write_a_will]gaw_cdnwill

Any thoughts?
A typical will does not mention specific assets, accounts etc, but deals with your general “estate”. You don’t have to change your will normally every time you acquire a new asset or open a new account. The details of your assets can be set out in a separate inventory that you store with your will and update from time to time.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #33
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been mulling this over lately and there's a few things I was wondering if someone could confirm... if you and your spouse pass away and your kids survive, they automatically go into the care of the governing body, correct?

They do not automatically go to the next of kin/relatives etc. The next of kin would have the strongest reasons for adopting said children, but it still would be a royal pain the ass that no one wants to go through especially after deaths in the family. That alone is the reason why I wanted to draft a will with my wife as soon as possible.

Second question, for the type of thing that OMG!WTF! posted. Would it be beneficial to bring something that that filled in to a lawyer? I've been hearing ranges lately for the set up of a "relatively basic/ basic will" of anywhere between $900 to $2,000. I know a few lawyers in the past who were willing to do it for significantly less than that, but I don't know if it was their regular fee, or a special rate to me due to close relationships/referrals.

Is setting up a will an all inclusive fee (I doubt it)? Or is it by the hour (what I expected)? If the latter, I presumed pre-doing something like what OMG!WTF! posted is helpful to wrap up the completion of the will quickly. Or am I wrong and does it muddy the waters to bring something like that in when prepping the will?

EDIT: and not trying to say it is not necessary as I am aware there is true merit to having a lawyer set up a will in a way that doesn't cause serious legal problems after our passing... But if you pen a basic will yourself without the aid of a lawyer, is it technically acceptable as a will?

For instance, can I merely toss together a note saying that my wife and I want X, Y, Z in the following order of people to be guardians and A, B, C in the order to be executors of the estate, an estate which will be used for the well being and education of our children in the event of our untimely passing, then have both of us sign it and have a legitimate document so our kids would go to surviving family members etc.? Because I'm thinking I should do that in case that something happens to my wife and I before we get a chance to sit down with a lawyer.

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-03-2019 at 10:39 AM.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #34
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Troutman did mine and my wife's for us recently. I highly recommend him if you are looking to have it professionally done, and in the end it didn't take us all that much time, he had most of the bases covered before we showed up, and it was nice to have all these little questions cleared up that you are asking. I'm a big DIY guy, but in this case I think it's worth it, doesn't cost all that much or take much time.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #35
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do I need a will as a DINK?

We were going to wait till we had our first kid before doing a proper will.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #36
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't do wills, but just remember this simple thing - if you do your own will and F it up, your beneficiaries/children have no recourse. If you get a lawyer to do it and the lawyer F's it up, the lawyer carries insurance which will make the beneficiaries whole (at least in dollar terms). I certainly could have done our own will, but we paid someone else to do it.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #37
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Troutman did mine and my wife's for us recently. I highly recommend him if you are looking to have it professionally done, and in the end it didn't take us all that much time, he had most of the bases covered before we showed up, and it was nice to have all these little questions cleared up that you are asking. I'm a big DIY guy, but in this case I think it's worth it, doesn't cost all that much or take much time.
If you don't mind my asking... how much time did it take? Also, how much did it cost? (Feel free to PM or not mention it if you'd like)

Of my parent friends who recently got wills done, the numbers that they have paid within the last 6 months: $1.8K, $800, $900 and $1.1K. I have no idea whether it was just a basic will or if additional services were involved. I have heard a few lawyers mention rates between $300-500 bucks for a will to be done, but again, not sure if that's their regular rates or discounted rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Do I need a will as a DINK?

We were going to wait till we had our first kid before doing a proper will.
I think as a DINK, a will was to help reduce the risk that someone comes out of the woodwork (not even related to you) to try and get your assets (ie: a "friend" who "helped" a lot, then suddenly thinks they deserve compensation or something). Assuming there's someone who could in theory inherit your money like a surviving parent or relative. That's I seem to recall hearing before I had a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I don't do wills, but just remember this simple thing - if you do your own will and F it up, your beneficiaries/children have no recourse. If you get a lawyer to do it and the lawyer F's it up, the lawyer carries insurance which will make the beneficiaries whole (at least in dollar terms). I certainly could have done our own will, but we paid someone else to do it.
Yes, that's true. But having something you draft yourself is better than nothing at all, right? Like I said, I am still going to go to a lawyer, but my wife and I are going on a trip without the young one in a few weeks. It's better to toss together a "memo" before we head out and get the proper will drafted in the summer, right?

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-03-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #38
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

DoubleF:

Without a Will (no guardians appointed) I would think the Public Guardian would try to place your children with kin if possible - guided by what is in the "best interests of the children". Unlikely they would be placed in foster care permanently.

A Will for a couple with us $425. $875 would be if you did all three documents - will, power of attorney and personal directive. Fees could be double downtown with the larger firms.

We quite often have to fix problems created by people making their own wills. They can be invalid for not being properly executed. They may be too vague to be effective. They may not contemplate important considerations or contingencies. I think getting a Will done with a lawyer is not a huge investment, and offers the best protection.

We can usually complete the process within a week or two. A initial meeting to gather information, draft documents are sent out for review, then clients return a final time to sign the approved documents.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #39
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
DoubleF:

Without a Will (no guardians appointed) I would think the Public Guardian would try to place your children with kin if possible - guided by what is in the "best interests of the children". Unlikely they would be placed in foster care permanently.

A Will for a couple with us $425. $875 would be if you did all three documents - will, power of attorney and personal directive. Fees could be double downtown with the larger firms.

We quite often have to fix problems created by people making their own wills. They can be invalid for not being properly executed. They may be too vague to be effective. They may not contemplate important considerations or contingencies. I think getting a Will done with a lawyer is not a huge investment, and offers the best protection.

We can usually complete the process within a week or two. A initial meeting to gather information, draft documents are sent out for review, then clients return a final time to sign the approved documents.
Thanks Troutman, that totally clears things up for me.

I'm guessing the others parents must have hand the the power of attorney and personal directive prepared along with the will and the numbers totally make sense now that you describe it in that manner.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #40
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
That plus a lawyer screwing it up seems very unlikely.

DIY wills scare me because I’m seen huge problems.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote