Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Celebrity Death John Mahoney

Played Frasier's dad on the Frasier Crane show.

the British born character actor was 77

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3801314

RIP

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I really like him, he played Marty so well. You could tell the love the character had for his kids despite the fact they had absolutely nothing in common.

That said, I thought he passed a few years ago.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I'm a middle aged married person who has very little else to do in the evenings we've been re-watching Frasier. Unbelievable performances and writing in that show.

John Mahoney was fantastic in it.

RIP.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent character actor. He was also great as the dad in Say Anything.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

John Mahoney was in one of my favourite movies of all time. He played Kid Gleason, the manager of those 1919 Black Sox in John Sayles' Eight Men Out.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only 77? That surprises me. I guess he was playing much older on Frasier since he's only 15 years older than Grammer.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Only 77? That surprises me. I guess he was playing much older on Frasier since he's only 15 years older than Grammer.
That is crazy that he’s only 15 years older then Grammer. The Silent Generation has aged poorly. Wilfred Brimley was 51 years old when he filmed Cocoon. I thought he had passed away years ago as well.

Martin Crane was one of the best sitcom characters of all time.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was amazing in Fraser which of course is where most people know him from. I also thought he was fantastic in Dan in Real life. Had a knack for always playing the gentle father figure who always knew best. Will be missed.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

He was 37 when he started acting...so, there's still time for most of us to achieve our dreams
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I remember being surprised in the 90s to find out that John Mahoney was from Blackpool originally and he was just using an American accent. His real accent would have been more accurate than Daphe's fake Manchester accent.

I always wanted to hear how it actually sounded, much like I've always wanted to hear what Patrick Stewart's real Yorkshire (working class) accent sound like.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I remember being surprised in the 90s to find out that John Mahoney was from Blackpool originally and he was just using an American accent. His real accent would have been more accurate than Daphe's fake Manchester accent.

I always wanted to hear how it actually sounded, much like I've always wanted to hear what Patrick Stewart's real Yorkshire (working class) accent sound like.
Google interviews with the actors you're curious about to hear what they actually sound like. I love hearing them in their actual accents.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

It's incomprehensible

https://www.wimp.com/patrick-stewart...shire-dialect/
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #13
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice tribute from Cameron Crowe, who directed Mahoney in Say Anything.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news...ahoney-w516403

Quote:
John Mahoney came into our Say Anything world with a bounce in his step and a twinkle in his eye. He had mighty Chicago cred too. He'd come from the esteemed Steppenwolf acting troupe, was already friends with John Cusack and had just performed in John Guare's House of Blue Leaves on the Broadway stage. Mahoney brought joy to every scene and every take. The more dramatic and powerful the performance, the louder his unmistakable laugh as soon as I called "cut."

You see, John Mahoney's laugh wasn't just a laugh. It was a two-note foghorn; a call to arms that said, "That's right, when it's good, it's fun!" The biggest Mahoney laugh might have been when we shot the scene in which Lloyd (Cusack) visits Jim Court on the prison yard, bringing him a final letter from his daughter Diane (Ione Skye). The scene was fraught with tension. We discussed many different tonal versions, deciding on a quiet one. We stood out by the barbed prison fence. Action.

"How you doing?" Lloyd asks Jim Court, almost tenderly. Mahoney then used all the character frustration and love and pain he'd been building for the entire shoot of the movie and just yelled: "I'M INCARCERATED, LLOYD!" That moment and John Cusack's reaction is one of those moments I'll be forever grateful for. They sure made a young director feel good. And when the take was over, you know what happened. The Laugh. And it was loud.

A few months later, I ran into John Mahoney again. I was in my neighborhood McDonald's and felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around. It was Mahoney. He saw the curious look on my face. This consummate actor, born for the stage, just standing waiting for a Big Mac. The laugh was unforgettable. With skill and hilarity and soul and pain and a dash of mystery, John Mahoney always did make unforgettable look easy. I hope this made you laugh, John, wherever you are, feeling all this love from so many. Bravo, my friend.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #14
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was also outstanding in Moonstruck.