Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #141
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #22 View Post
- Survivors - a two series (twelve episode) post-apocalyptic TV drama broadcast on BBC

(I found it on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Ended on a cliffhanger and got cancelled the following year. )

-Curb Your Enthusiasm (Not officially cancelled, but on the bubble and apparently up to whether Larry David wants to do it or not. I hope he does)
Oh yeah, I forgot, Survivors was really good.

I believe Curb Your Enthusiasm is a yearly renewal for HBO. LD won't commit to more than one season at a time for fear of running out of ideas. It drives HBO mad apparently because they would love to lock him into a long-term contract, but he's too neurotic for that. So, he calls them when he's got enough material for a season and ready to film. I believe next season is a go.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #142
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Millennium
V
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles
The Unit
The Dollhouse
Alphas
Rome

And I could have watched another ten years of 24...
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #143
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

"The Agency" was a great show
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #144
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
"The Agency" was a great show
Oh yeah, I remember watching that.
They ended season 2 on a cliff hanger, but it never got picked up for season 3 so we never found out what happened at the end
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #145
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am guessing that this show has already been mentioned at least once, but to me the original LAw & Order was cancelled way too soon.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #146
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
I believe Curb Your Enthusiasm is a yearly renewal for HBO. LD won't commit to more than one season at a time for fear of running out of ideas. It drives HBO mad apparently because they would love to lock him into a long-term contract, but he's too neurotic for that. So, he calls them when he's got enough material for a season and ready to film. I believe next season is a go.
Man the LD would be tough to work with. Not because he's difficult to get along with, but because of stuff like you mentioned; how flighty/neurotic he is. HBO must get annual headaches from this stuff.

I was watching some Curb behind the scenes thing a few months back, Vivica A. Fox said she didn't even know her character was leaving the show until she got her script for that week. His "wife" Cheryl Hines also mentioned she didn't know they were "breaking up" until she got hers too. Both didn't seem mad about it or anything, you can tell they like him. It was more of an exasperated, "Ohh Larry..." type of reaction, they know how he rolls.

I'm praying to the golden gods for a season 9, probably my favourite show running right now. Crazy to think if they do make a season 9, then Curb will have done as many seasons as Seinfeld.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #147
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
I'll add another vote for Clone High - the most quotable-in-real-life-meme show since the Simpsons as far as I was concerned.
I have actually started refering to Chris Butler as "Mr. Butlertron". When he finished his check last night I exclaimed "Awesome, now go get gold plated and lowered!"
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #148
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Unless you're one of these people, it doesn't matter anyways...

http://www.bbm.ca/en/bbm-ratings
And, really, those people don't matter either. Being a popular show in Canada isn't going to stop a US network from cancelling a show that has low ratings in the States.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #149
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the Black Donnelly's was a pretty good show that was cancelled too early, mostly because Olivia Wilde was gorgeous in that series.

Also a lot of people are putting on shows that weren't cancelled too early. If the show ran 5+ seasons that is usually enough in my mind. Many of those shows weren't even cancelled, but just creatively stopped production. Look at Breaking Bad for example, could they probably have given is a couple more seasons? Probably, but they wouldn't be giving us the same quality for those two seasons, so they thought it would be best to end it while it's still on top. Then look at shows like The X-Files, 24, and even The Sopranos, all of them seemingly ran for too long and there was a drastic decline in quality in the last few seasons. Each of them may have been better served ending things a couple seasons earlier when they were still on top.

One that should have ran longer, and has only been mentioned once was Rome. Now that's a show that definitely was cancelled too early, but really only because it cost so much to film each episode

I'd say it's better than Game of Thrones after two seasons, but that's just me of course.

Last edited by trackercowe; 02-27-2013 at 01:02 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #150
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Undergrads.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #151
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Foreign Objects', produced by Ken Finkleman for the CBC. A shame it was only 5 or 6 episodes. And now I can't find them anywhere
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #152
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelBacklund View Post
Life on Mars
My Name Is Earl
Did anyone catch the "My Name Is Earl" reunion on "Raising Hope" this week?

All the principle characters were on the show and making references to "Earl."

Cowperson
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #153
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How to make it in america(it was on hbo, ran two seasons)

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keselke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #154
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Man the LD would be tough to work with. Not because he's difficult to get along with, but because of stuff like you mentioned; how flighty/neurotic he is. HBO must get annual headaches from this stuff.

I was watching some Curb behind the scenes thing a few months back, Vivica A. Fox said she didn't even know her character was leaving the show until she got her script for that week. His "wife" Cheryl Hines also mentioned she didn't know they were "breaking up" until she got hers too. Both didn't seem mad about it or anything, you can tell they like him. It was more of an exasperated, "Ohh Larry..." type of reaction, they know how he rolls.

I'm praying to the golden gods for a season 9, probably my favourite show running right now. Crazy to think if they do make a season 9, then Curb will have done as many seasons as Seinfeld.
Not to derail the thread, but if you're an LD fan like me you will get a real kick out of this:

http://www.laineygossip.com/Larry-Da...ar-Party/26090

Pretty, pretty, pretty good!

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #155
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I have actually started refering to Chris Butler as "Mr. Butlertron". When he finished his check last night I exclaimed "Awesome, now go get gold plated and lowered!"
Bling...

... bling
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #156
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ones already mentioned:
- The Norm Show
- Firefly
- Enterprise
- Millenium
- Dead Like Me
and the Canadian "The Outer Limits" did go 7 seasons, but I certainly wouldn't have minded 7 more.

Ones I didn't see previously mentioned:
- Original Trek
- Jericho
- Damages
- Daria

And there are a few that got RUINED too early due to poor ratings:
- The John Laroquette Show (thought to be too cerebral for a sitcom; got dumbed down after two seasons, ruining it's appeal)
- The 4400 (first two seasons were good, but the potential for greatness was ruined by poor writing and poor re-writing to bring back popular characters)
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote