Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Indoor herb garden...

Not sure if this should go under technology, or Home improvement / gardening.

Mods can move as required.

My wife is interested in a home garden kit to grow herbs indoors for cooking.

The options online and in store vary greatly depending on how much $$$ you want to spend.

Anybody have / use one. Which model and how do you like it ??

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's legal now, you don't have to be so cagey about it
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have an Aerogarden (forget the model). Generally I like it, but the holes for the planters are too close together so it doesn't work well for larger herbs or lettuce; it has room for 6 pods but I can generally only fit 3 or 4 plants. There are models that are more spaced out though. The herbs grow pretty quickly, you need to harvest pretty regularly.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can build you a ventilated and climate controlled pod so you can grow the best "herbs" around.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO get the cheapest AeroGarden you can.

I bought one, it sat in the box for 7 years, used it once, went back downstairs. I expect that's the norm.

If she uses it regularly get one of the fancier ones.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I have an Aerogarden (forget the model). Generally I like it, but the holes for the planters are too close together so it doesn't work well for larger herbs or lettuce; it has room for 6 pods but I can generally only fit 3 or 4 plants. There are models that are more spaced out though. The herbs grow pretty quickly, you need to harvest pretty regularly.
Sounds like we have the same one. We got ours at Costco, then ordered the herbs we wanted. I went with Genovese basil, Thai basil, mint, thyme, cilantro and rosemary. They all seem to do well, but yes, you have to harvest regularly.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Aerogardens go on sale all the time on Amazon.

Beware the older models use replacement bulbs, so make sure the one you look at has LED

I used the 3 pod version but the reservoir is so small so it needs to be refilled daily. Doesn't work for my lifestyle so I stopped using it. Maybe pick it back up later.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not just put a planter pot by a window?

Those aerogarden things I think are more useful for actual plants like heirloom tomatoes and vegetables. I feel like they're overkill on basic kitchen herbs unless you need them to grow fast because you will be plucking like crazy.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm having that discussion with my wife right now. She bought a lighting system and heat pad. A few years ago I built a shelf by the window, but I guess that isn't good enoguh now. So next season I'm going to be running a test to see if the window ones do better with low effort on my part or the lighting ones with all the extra effort. To late this year as she already has it all on the go.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a tray, get some starter soil and pots. That plus what she bought is all you really need.

Oh, and timer. Set to 18hrs of light/day. Make sure the light is very close to the seedlings so that they don't stretch. You will need to repot fairly soon.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Get one of these. They come in all kinds of sizes, and you can hang LED's in them to grow stuff.

https://www.wayfair.ca/Flowerhouse--...xoCgvUQAvD_BwE

They are designed for herbs and veggies.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can buy a lot of herbs and veggies for $559.

That's my issue with all this fancy stuff. You end up spending way more on the equipment than you ever save. And while having home grown stuff is nice, it can be down with natural light and nothing fancy. So spending on all that stuff doesn't make much sense. It's hard enoguh to come out ahead given our water costs. Adding in expensive equipment kills the deal.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can make your money back if you grow tomatoes and peppers.

Unless you have a large south facing window, it's very hard to do with natural light, esp. in winter. I would never bother with something like what Tron_fdc linked to. It's meant for pot growers.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #14
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a tent similar to the one tron linked to, although not nearly as big with an LED light so I can start all my veggies and cannabis plants for our backyard garden from seed early in the year (end of February-beginning of March). As Shazam mentioned, doing this is next to impossible without a setup like the tent or overhead light garden if you don't have a big, unobstructed south facing window. We have only east/west facing windows, so growing in natural light isn't really an option for me. I'm thinking about getting one of those Aerogardens as well for year round herbs. It's not so much the cost savings for me as it is having fresh herbs to use and the hobby aspect of it. I love planting things and watching them thrive.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #15
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

ATK likes the Click and Grow Smart Garden system. Works better than Aerogarden as the pods have soil in them (Aerogarden's pods are basically just peat moss to hold the seed, which degrades very quickly).

https://www.amazon.ca/Click-Grow-Sma...-1-spons&psc=1