Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
i tried to get into it but gave up after 3 episodes. im gonna try again because all i hear is how amazing it is and i dont want to be "that guy" that cant get past a few shows
I got the DVD box sets for Christmas years ago and could never make it out of the first season. I don't find it bad or unwatchable but it just hasn't hooked me.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #22
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn I love The Wire. I first saw it in a hostel and later collected all the DVDs. I've seen it 3 times included the last with my wife who also loved it. I don't think it is a slow burner at all and was hooked from the first episode. The premise with McNulty and the judge leading to the investigation is great and I knew right away this would be an interesting and well written show.

My favourite moment is the time McNulty goes undercover at the brothel and Dominic West gets to use an English accent. My favourite season is 4 which beats out Breaking Bad season 4 as my favourite season of any show ever. The tragic story of the 4 boys combined with the mayoral race makes for brilliant television.

It kick started the careers of many amazing actors too. Idris Elba and Michael B Jordan are mega stars, West and Aiden Gillen are pretty big too, and many others have kept busy since the end of the show.

Also I don't think it has aged at all other than obviously technology was different 10 years ago. The stories around the working class, gentrification, education, and the media to name a few are still very relevant today.

It's great. I don't know what else to day other than that. Oh, obligatory:

Old 03-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #23
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Damn I love The Wire. I first saw it in a hostel and later collected all the DVDs. I've seen it 3 times included the last with my wife who also loved it. I don't think it is a slow burner at all and was hooked from the first episode. The premise with McNulty and the judge leading to the investigation is great and I knew right away this would be an interesting and well written show.

My favourite moment is the time McNulty goes undercover at the brothel and Dominic West gets to use an English accent. My favourite season is 4 which beats out Breaking Bad season 4 as my favourite season of any show ever. The tragic story of the 4 boys combined with the mayoral race makes for brilliant television.

It kick started the careers of many amazing actors too. Idris Elba and Michael B Jordan are mega stars, West and Aiden Gillen are pretty big too, and many others have kept busy since the end of the show.

Also I don't think it has aged at all other than obviously technology was different 10 years ago. The stories around the working class, gentrification, education, and the media to name a few are still very relevant today.

It's great. I don't know what else to day other than that. Oh, obligatory:

Yes, thank you. By far my favorite season as well, but I find it really hard to watch more than once knowing what happens to them.

I've never seen a show that covers so many complex themes well, let alone covers them at all. It's not just a cop show, or a gangster show, or a political show, or a show about misguided youth, or a show about the decline of media and news reporting, or a show about the American Dream.

It's a show that attempts to connect all the workings, peoples, problems, virtues, etc. of a modern American city in a meaningful tapestry. It's a depiction of the struggle against a slow and steady decay of urban America and the inevitable conclusion that this will all continue even after all the players in the game are gone. It's beautifully tragic, and it's well worth the watch, even if you didn't like it the first time.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #24
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

It was a bit of a slow burn for me. I didn’t start watching it until well after it had gone off the air. The first episode is painfully slow. I stopped watching after that for a few months. The next 2 or 3 aren’t a whole lot better, but by the end of the first season I was hooked and after that the wife and I watched the whole series in a matter of weeks.

Fantastic show, one of the best in the history of TV. In my top 5 TV shows of all time without a doubt.

Going to watch it again in it’s entirety soon.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #25
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yes, thank you. By far my favorite season as well, but I find it really hard to watch more than once knowing what happens to them.
Just looking at the four of them brings back the pain. The last couple episodes of that season are rough.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #26
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously, given my screen name, I think very highly of the show. I don't think there's a debate it's the best scripted TV show ever (Planet Earth is untouchable). The real joy is in rewatching and picking up on the subtle genius of the writing. As an ensemble it's unsurpassed, even the minor characters are brilliantly cast. It is a slow burn, and expecting to understand it all in one go is unrealistic, but those who do give it the chance clearly have a pretty strong consensus about it.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #27
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #28
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If anyone has HBO on Telus they can watch all of the episodes of The Wire on demand which is nice. In the summer when there is no hockey and boring TV I usually re-watch The Wire. Such an amazing series!
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #29
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my favorite shows of all time. It's a great series to rewatch every few years once you forget about the details.

A good sense of humor too.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #30
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
what? Who?
Maybe I am getting Bill Simmons musings confused with real facts. I am sure that he had David Simon on a podcast and discussed a potential 6th season. I just googled and Simon said to not expect a reboot.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #31
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 6th season was originally planned, dealing with hispanic migration into the city, but they aborted it because they didn't know enough about the topic to do it properly.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #32
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Maybe I am getting Bill Simmons musings confused with real facts. I am sure that he had David Simon on a podcast and discussed a potential 6th season. I just googled and Simon said to not expect a reboot.
Nice use of a pleonasm.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #33
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re-watched it last year. Still as good as ever.

Currently re-watching Friday Night Lights.

Damn, there's been a lot of good TV series.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #34
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I had no idea Michael B Jordan was in The Wire, I finally know where Wallace is at.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I watched it on DVD about 8 years ago. I figure I'm ready for a rewatch. Anyone know if the version they have on Crave is the original, or the one they remastered a couple years ago in widescreen format? I don't want to buy it again, but I'm a bit OCD about watching the best version of something I enjoy.
It looks like it's the HD remaster.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #36
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

The first 3-4 episodes are pretty bad in isolation, but set the show up so nicely for an amazing show after that. If you stick with it you’ll love it.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #37
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Re-watched it last year. Still as good as ever.

Currently re-watching Friday Night Lights.

Damn, there's been a lot of good TV series.
I’d love to do both shows again as well. Two of the all-time best in my opinion.