Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Ugly sandal trend

Birkenstocks have got to be the ugliest sandals out there. Yes sure, there are uglier sandals but nobody actually wears them.

How birkenstocks get off the shelves has boggled my mind for the last few years. You can look great but your birkenstocks are a total turn off.

Can you pleeease explain what i’m missing? Is it the comfort? Cause i find pijamas comfortable but i don’t were them in public.

If i was dictator of the planet i would ban them with a 10 year prison sentence for those insisting on wearing them.

Please show me a trending sandal that’s uglier? Trick question, there isn’t. We can all agree that Birkenstocks are the worst and should be left for gentle walks in the sahara desert. Even then, crocs would be better.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Please show me a trending sandal that’s uglier? .
Sanuks
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Please show me a trending sandal that’s uglier?
Hang on, let me check my Excel spreadsheet of sandal ratings.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

My kid wears fluorescent socks pulled to his knees and birks or slides.

He's 11, and I laugh every time he does it. Usually he has a bucket hat on too. Looks like Gilligan.

Cool story bro: last time I did that combo was in 1997 when I was living in Australia. Had a guy approach me and tell me he could always pick out the Canadians because they were the only ones wearing wool socks and Tevas. I've never done it since.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Funny, “ugly” sandals are a big fashion trend right now, and Birkenstocks aren’t even close to being the ugliest.

My opinion: sandals are just generally ugly. Curious to see what someone thinks a nice sandal looks like. Probably because feet are mostly ugly.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Funny, “ugly” sandals are a big fashion trend right now, and Birkenstocks aren’t even close to being the ugliest.

My opinion: sandals are just generally ugly. Curious to see what someone thinks a nice sandal looks like. Probably because feet are mostly ugly.
Yeah, I have Birks because I consider them nicer looking than most sandals. And they are comfortable. But I definitely don’t feel sexy or stylish in them!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you are going to wear sandlas and barefeet you have got to at least clean and do something with your toenails.

the only time i wear socks with my sandals/flip flops is when i am going to the golf course, or to the trail head or perhaps running to the store to get a jug of milk or whatnot.

i like my Sanuks
Old 07-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Birkenstocks have been popular in North America since the hippy days.... I'm not sure if that qualifies as a "trend" there Abe.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone willing to wear sandals in public has already given up fashion or image. Doesn’t mater what they are, they look stupid and childish, so you might as well get the most comfortable ones possible. Apparently it’s Birks, so people wear them.
Much better than adult men in flip flop thong things, ten fold.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Anyone willing to wear sandals in public has already given up fashion or image. Doesn’t mater what they are, they look stupid and childish, so you might as well get the most comfortable ones possible. Apparently it’s Birks, so people wear them.
Much better than adult men in flip flop thong things, ten fold.

The 1950s called and they are missing one grumpy grandpa. You should hurry back.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #13
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Birkenstocks have got to be the ugliest sandals out there. Yes sure, there are uglier sandals but nobody actually wears them.

How birkenstocks get off the shelves has boggled my mind for the last few years. You can look great but your birkenstocks are a total turn off.

Can you pleeease explain what i’m missing? Is it the comfort? Cause i find pijamas comfortable but i don’t were them in public.

If i was dictator of the planet i would ban them with a 10 year prison sentence for those insisting on wearing them.

Please show me a trending sandal that’s uglier? Trick question, there isn’t. We can all agree that Birkenstocks are the worst and should be left for gentle walks in the sahara desert. Even then, crocs would be better.
Kid had few friends over. They may not agree.

Trigger warning.

NSFW!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #14
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I read the title as Ugly scandal trend.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #15
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Birkenstocks have been popular in North America since the hippy days.... I'm not sure if that qualifies as a "trend" there Abe.
This. Birkenstocks have been around for ever. One of the best sandals out there for comfort and I don't think they look bad. Whats your idea of a good looking sandal?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't find Birkenstocks any more or less obtrusive than any other sandal; they're all equally ugly.
They are incredibly comfortable though, and therein is where I suspect their ubiquity stems from.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #17
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Kid had few friends over. They may not agree.

Trigger warning.

NSFW!
Ugghhh.,.

The germaphombe in me is cringing at the thought of those people walking around your house barefoot after having their feet in those nasty sandals. I would move if I were you.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #18
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were recommended to us by ortho & rheumatology, particularly for foot/arch support for my daughter, on the foot that was so badly injured. I got a pair because my daughter had so much success with them & I have the flattest feet ever. I was tired of waking up, barely being able to walk in the mornings, because my feet hurt so much. Inside of 2 weeks of having the Birks, that didn't happen anymore.

My first pair were just retired after 4 years, breaking in a new pair, although it's not much to break in, as they're the same style as the first pair. I used to hate them but now, because I'm not so crippled up, I don't give a flying purple eff that anyone thinks they're ugly lol. Being able to walk trumps all of that. I loathe socks & am not fond of an enclosed shoe except in winter, so the Gizeh style works for me. *shrug* My old "retired" pair are getting hucked in the trailer for camping trips.

As for the dirtiness of those ones in the picture, there is a cleaner available, someone should point it out to them, lol. You can buy the Birks cleaner & cork sealer or just use some soap/water to give the footbed/shoebed a scrubbing & a suede brush to restore the "nap" of the shoe bed.

Last edited by Minnie; 07-19-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #19
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Ugghhh.,.

The germaphombe in me is cringing at the thought of those people walking around your house barefoot after having their feet in those nasty sandals. I would move if I were you.
Yeah it's gross. If people are walking barefoot on my floor, how am I supposed to eat off it?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #20
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Birks are my yard shoe/garage shoe. I have been known to wear them as far as the 7/11 but I'm not sure I'd wear them anywhere classier than that. Super comfy, east to slip on for quick runs to the garbage bin, bbq etc.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: