Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-27-2023, 08:03 AM   #1
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Buffy Sainte-Marie may not be Indigenous

this is a big story as I believe she is the most famous Indigenous person in Canadian history. If you real the entire article, it looks as if she's a big fat liar. her own family said she's a white american.

Buffy Sainte-Marie’s claims to Indigenous ancestry are being contradicted by members of the iconic singer-songwriter’s own family and an extensive CBC investigation.

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/...y-sainte-marie

Late last year, CBC received a tip that Sainte-Marie is not of Cree ancestry but, in fact, has European roots. She is the latest high-profile public figure whose ancestry story has been contradicted by genealogical documentation, including her own birth certificate, historical research and personal accounts — the latest chapter in the complex and growing debate around Indigenous identity in Canada.

A simple Google search shows that virtually every available source says Sainte-Marie was born on the Piapot First Nation in Saskatchewan.

But that was contradicted late last year when a tipster provided CBC with a copy of what appeared to be Sainte-Marie’s birth certificate, obtained from a small town hall in Massachusetts.

That record said Beverly Jean Santamaria, who started going by the name Buffy Sainte-Marie early in her music career, was born in 1941 in Stoneham, Mass., north of Boston, to Albert and Winifred Santamaria — the couple Sainte-Marie claimed adopted her.

Mother, father and baby were all listed as white.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 10-27-2023 at 08:10 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:26 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's a pretty big lie to live. Wow.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:29 AM   #3
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh boy, that was quite the read.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:30 AM   #4
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1717609253199127019

https://twitter.com/user/status/1717327990080881033

Last edited by Cheese; 10-27-2023 at 08:33 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 08:34 AM   #5
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

How, when and why CBC News investigates claims of Indigenous identity

https://www.cbc.ca/news/editorsblog/...tity-1.7009049

Quote:
As I explained in my response to the ombudsman, CBC News covers all aspects of life in First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities. There is no doubt we have connections to many Indigenous communities, partly because CBC has made such coverage a priority and, through its journalism, has built trust and relationships.

These relationships, coupled with our previous work on false claims of Indigenous identity, have resulted in tips (far more than we report on), often from the very communities for whom the stories matter most. To ignore these tips would be a form of journalistic negligence, especially at a time when the question of Indigeneity is roiling through a number of Canadian institutions — from the arts and culture sector to government and academia.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:34 AM   #6
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

She always had a look that looked like the equivalent look of blackface for indigenous. Like Magda from Something about Mary.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:36 AM   #7
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just let people be who they want to be. We have adopted fluidity in our definitions of who we are as individuals and as a society.

Also, what is the end goal with this type of reporting and investigation by the CBC? Is this revelation supposed to be a net positive or net negative for the First Nations communities? Are they trying to cut down, dare I say "cancel", the achievements of someone who has established themselves as an icon in the First Nations communities and is probably seen as an inspiration?

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 10-27-2023 at 08:56 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 08:55 AM   #8
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

there is a response to the Piapot comments in the article.

n an email to The Fifth Estate, some members of the Piapot family said: “Buffy is our family. We chose her and she chose us.”

They said Sainte-Marie’s adoption by Emile and Clara Piapot makes her part of the Piapot First Nation and that community acceptance “holds far more weight than any paper documentation or colonial recordkeeping ever could.”

“Every understanding of our spiritual practices, the history our grandparents shared with us and the traditions of the Cree refute your suggestion that our Auntie Buffy is not Indigenous or a member of our community,” they wrote.

However, Teillet has a different view, saying being adopted “doesn’t make you Indigenous.”

“It simply makes you a member of that family. It’s a very serious and lovely thing that they’re bringing you into their family and that gives you lifelong familial obligations, which are serious. But it doesn’t have anything to do with whether you’re Indigenous or not.”

TallBear said it’s clear the Piapot family have long-standing personal relations with Sainte-Marie, but she agrees with Teillet that relationship doesn’t make her Indigenous.

“I don’t think anyone is probably going to disrespect their decision to continue claiming her as kin,” said TallBear.

However, she said, Sainte-Marie’s ancestry claims went well beyond her adoption by the Piapots.

“That does not contradict or make up for five decades of fabrication of one’s story of origin, one’s childhood, the disavowal of one’s biological family,” said TallBear.

If you didn't read the whole article from CBC
here are the people I quoted

Indigenous scholars like Kim TallBear, a professor of Native studies at the University of Alberta in Edmonton and a member of Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate, say it’s unacceptable for non-Indigenous people to speak for Indigenous people and take honours set aside for them.

Sainte-Marie’s story fits an all-too-familiar pattern, said Métis lawyer Jean Teillet of Vancouver.

who in 2022 completed a comprehensive study called Indigenous Identity Fraud for the University of Saskatchewan.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #9
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Just let people be who they want to be. We have adopted fluidity in our definitions of who we are as individuals and as a society.

Also, what is the end goal with this type of reporting and investigation by the CBC? Is this revelation supposed to be a net positive or net negative for the First Nations communities? Are they trying to cut down, dare I say "cancel", the achievements of someone who has established themselves as an icon in the First Nations communities and is probably seen as an inspiration?
I believe the investigation came about from Indigenous people seeing red flags and beginning questioning on their own. CBC didn't just decide one day to smear a beloved icon.

And yeah, I think many Indigenous people would want to an extent cancel the achievements of someone based their entire career on lying, and being part of a people they don't belong to.
She received many Indigenous honours and prizes meant for Indigenous people. If she's white, didn't deserve them. It's a betrayal. She was an inspiration that Indigenous people can succeed. I think people would want to know if she's just another white person that used them instead, no matter what her heart came to believe.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:04 AM   #10
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Read the link I posted a couple posts above yours, as to why the CBC is reporting this. The main article also gets into this and how First Nations view a situation like this.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:06 AM   #11
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that pictures dont tell the whole story, especially what they wear, but if I was to meet her without knowing who she was, my first impression would likely be indigenous.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 09:06 AM   #12
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 09:07 AM   #13
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
yes you are fotz, 100%
Old 10-27-2023, 09:10 AM   #14
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

This takes fake it til you make it to a whole new level
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 10:23 AM   #15
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find it more offensive that someone refer to Buffy Sainte-Marie (who?) as "an icon"...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:24 AM   #16
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

What is the point of this? This whole story and investigation seems unnecessary.

Edit: oh boy, I am dumb. I should read full articles rather than synopsis's.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 10-27-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #17
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I find it more offensive that someone refer to Buffy Sainte-Marie (who?) as "an icon"...
Sorry, didn't realize you were the authority of who is and isn't an icon.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 10:43 AM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I know that pictures dont tell the whole story, especially what they wear, but if I was to meet her without knowing who she was, my first impression would likely be indigenous.

The article is claiming she is half Italian?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:44 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
What is the point of this? This whole story and investigation seems unnecessary.
Her entire life and career has been a lie. Don't you think her fans should know about it before buying more of her music?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 10:44 AM   #20
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, didn't realize you were the authority of who is and isn't an icon.
Nowhere in my post did I claim to be an authority... On brand comprehension from calgarygeologist.

I'll acknowledge that I'm definitely not up on "Indigenous" (intentional quotes) "Icons" (again), but if I had to guess, I'd estimate maybe 1 in 20 people could identify BSM from a photo and even fewer would have any more than a passive recollection of her name.

But, in the days where that qualifies someone as an "icon" and Fortze is a unicorn, I guess it all makes sense.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote