Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #61
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Article about it being discontinued and no longer updated.

http://deviceguru.com/r-i-p-boxee-box/
Hmm, after reading that I take back any recommendation to buy one of them. Never noticed any of the issues because I mainly use it to stream media from a network share.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #62
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I was getting my boxes mixed up. Roku is the one I'll look into since Boxee is being discontinued. Found a site that talks about Canadian Plex Channels for the Roku and they talk about HGTV, CTV, Global, City, etc.... I'm assuming it's free to add plex channels. Does anyone know for sure?
Its free to add the plex channel to Roku
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #63
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Its free to add the plex channel to Roku
Yeah, best to stick to the market leader in things like this for best chances at getting future content and maintained support. Outside of the gaming systems, and the Apple thing for the Apply people, the market leader is pretty clearly Roku right now. I was really hoping Google would have done something interesting, but Google TV seems to have stalled out.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #64
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Yeah, best to stick to the market leader in things like this for best chances at getting future content and maintained support. Outside of the gaming systems, and the Apple thing for the Apply people, the market leader is pretty clearly Roku right now. I was really hoping Google would have done something interesting, but Google TV seems to have stalled out.
I'm going to pick up a Roku 2 XS next week and will give it a try. It looks promising.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #65
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm going to pick up that device too and see how it goes. I'm going to cut the Shaw cable at the end of June. The only thing I'm worried about is hockey. Instead of selling my shaw gear I might just give it to my sister for a spare room and hook up a sling box to it. An antenna for cbc and Global... I don't function we without my morning Global morning news.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #66
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going to pick up a Roku 2 XS next week and will give it a try. It looks promising.
The Roku 3 was released in the States back in March. I'm sure the Canadian version should be coming up here in the near future.

Having said that, if you are truly interested in the Plex channels, if I were you, I would install Plex on your computer and take a look at what these channels truly offer. Admittedly, I looked at these channels a long time ago but I do recall that even though they offered a wide selection, the actual shows each channel app provided was bare. So if Plex does offer the global channel, you may want to check out just exactly what shows are being offered in that channel.

Maybe things have changed but I do recall I wasn't impressed back then. I will have take another look at the Plex channels again to see if things have improved.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CKPThunder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #67
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is setting up American netflix on roku easy?

I've managed to get work arounds on my xbox, nexus and computer.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #68
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Is setting up American netflix on roku easy?

I've managed to get work arounds on my xbox, nexus and computer.
I use unblockus and just setup my router. It's cheap and works ok. Haven't found free reliable ways.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #69
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
The Roku 3 was released in the States back in March. I'm sure the Canadian version should be coming up here in the near future.

Having said that, if you are truly interested in the Plex channels, if I were you, I would install Plex on your computer and take a look at what these channels truly offer. Admittedly, I looked at these channels a long time ago but I do recall that even though they offered a wide selection, the actual shows each channel app provided was bare. So if Plex does offer the global channel, you may want to check out just exactly what shows are being offered in that channel.

Maybe things have changed but I do recall I wasn't impressed back then. I will have take another look at the Plex channels again to see if things have improved.
Some sites I've read say plex needs to be put on a PC that's always on. Always? Or just when you want to watch plex channels on the Roku?

Last edited by shane_c; 05-23-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #70
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I use unblockus and just setup my router. It's cheap and works ok. Haven't found free reliable ways.
Tunlr.net is free and does the same thing (allegedly) as unblockus. No account required, just set DNS to 192.95.16.109.

They claim uptime isn't guaranteed (i.e. the DNS server might not be functional all the time), but I don't know how reliable the service is.

Ah, it seems to use US Netflix you have to whitelist your IP here: http://gatekeeper.tunlr.net/login
Looks like you might have to "renew" that every 2-3 weeks by logging in again, though it's not clear if it can automatically renew or what. I imagine it requires hitting the site periodically and entering a CAPTCHA just to prove you're a real person.

Last edited by Bob; 05-23-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #71
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Found the link for the Plex app but it didn’t go so well.

I installed the app on my PC and then when it when the install was done it launched Plex Media. There was some status bar saying it could take a few moments and that it was loading media or something like that (there was also a skip button). I waited a few minutes and then the computer froze. I had to manually power down because ctrl-alt-del wouldn’t work. So I turned the computer back on and it loaded up in the screen where it asks if I wanted to start in safe mode or normally. It counted down from 30 to 29 and then froze. Another manual power down and this time I hit enter the second the screen popped up. I got the computer to load up, although slower than usual, and launched Plex Media and hit ‘skip’ this time. I was able to go in and browse some channels and added a few. There seems to be a good selection to choose from. Then it completely froze on me again so I had to manually power down. Started the computer again and went back into Plex Media clicked on My Channels – Add channel and the computer automatically restarted and then froze again on the safe screen. *sigh* Had to manually power down AGAIN and then tried to restart 4 times with no success. Each time I turned the computer on the CPU would come on but the monitor and keyboard would be dead. On the 5th attempt at a restart it worked so I went in and uninstalled Plex Media.

Depending on my patience levels at the end of the day I may try to install it again or just give up.

Update: I was able to get plex installed and working on my PC. I had to update my Adobe Flash.

Last edited by shane_c; 05-25-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #72
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Some sites I've read say plex needs to be put on a PC that's always on. Always? Or just when you want to watch plex channels on the Roku?
I don't know when the Roku 3 would be available in Canada. It is all speculation at this time.

As for Plex, you would have to have server portion running at all times or at least have it running whenever you wanted to watch your Plex content.

As for my comments on channels/plug-ins, you can disregard them. I had totally forgotten about the unsupported plug-ins. I will try and install the Canadian one this weekend to see how good the quality is in terms of picture and content.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #73
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Okay. I have an Apple TV. I also have unblock-us set up on the router. However, it appears that while I can play CBC shows on the iPad, I can't airplay them on the Apple TV. From Internet searches it seems that other people have the same issue. I guess the unblock-us country settings ONLY work for Netflix? Because I set myself back to Canada and still can't airplay CBC shows.

What I *can* do is play the CBC show on the iPad and mirror it onto the TV. Which seems strange since the Apple TV and iPad are going through the same Wifi router connection.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #74
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I use a lot of US based services over Unblockus not just netflix. Pandora all the major network sites some google services. So Unblockus should work for more than netflix. No experience with apple so can't help there.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #75
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, all US sites seem to work fine. It's the Canadian ones that are not working.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #76
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sold my Boxee and ordered a Roku 3 from Amazon.com for $116.93 including shipping and import fees deposit. From the reviews it looks like the Roku 3 should be a pretty decent box and will suit my needs. I should be able to get all the US streaming sites and apps via unblockus set-up on my router. I'll post my thoughts once I get it and I'm able to play around a bit.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #77
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
Okay. I have an Apple TV. I also have unblock-us set up on the router. However, it appears that while I can play CBC shows on the iPad, I can't airplay them on the Apple TV. From Internet searches it seems that other people have the same issue. I guess the unblock-us country settings ONLY work for Netflix? Because I set myself back to Canada and still can't airplay CBC shows.

What I *can* do is play the CBC show on the iPad and mirror it onto the TV. Which seems strange since the Apple TV and iPad are going through the same Wifi router connection.
If you are talking about airplaying content from inside an app (a CBC app in this case), I'm fairly certain the developers are able to specify whether their content is air-playable or not.

In your case, it likely has nothing to do with unblock-us, and everything to do with the specific app.

The region selection is indeed for Netflix only - it says so right on screen.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #78
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been playing around with Plex the last couple days on my PC and am pretty happy with the content. My download speed is 20 Mbps but even when I have Plex set to a lower quality I find it still has to buffer once in a while.

For those with Plex, can you play video from PBS? If I go to the PBS site I can watch This Old House or Antiques Roadshow without issue. But if I try to watch through Plex it doesn't work. I'll click the link, can hear audio but get no video for about a minute. When the video finally does start it's incredibly choppy and doesn't match the audio.

I'm hoping to pick a Roku 2 XS up later this week.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #79
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heading to Walmart to pick up a Roku 3 today. Assuming they have one in stock somewhere here, I will give a review in the next couple days.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #80
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Heading to Walmart to pick up a Roku 3 today. Assuming they have one in stock somewhere here, I will give a review in the next couple days.
Are you in Canada?