Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #41
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Were refunds a thing for bad movies? I don't recall ever asking for a refund because a movie was bad. At the end of the day it's on the renter to do a little homework on the movie in advance if $5.50 means that much to them.
I never thought about asking for a refund because I chose a bad movie to rent. Now, I did go to my local movie store that offered 2 for 1 rentals from 9:00pm to 10:00pm (when they closed). It was pretty cheap at that time too, like $2 or $3 at the most. No big deal.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #42
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
It was easy, actually. I bought the movie review paperback books every two or three years. They had capsule reviews written by newspaper reviewers.
Didn't Leornard Maltin have a huge bible that came out every year?
Old 07-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #43
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
There are actually lots of things wrong with that. It's all good if your species has a healthy population. But, for example, lions. People go to Africa to kill the biggest, baddest male lion they can find...a trophy male. These are the leaders of the pack. When one dies, the lesser males come along and kill all the cubs the old lion had, they take out a couple of the productive females. Then they kill each other until the next alpha cat emerges. So killing one trophy lion destroys multiple animals and breeding cycles.

Same for elephants, rhinos, all other cats, pretty much everything people consider a trophy.
It's not quite that simple, again if we are talking the farmed hunts the guides will planned out where to take the people and which lions to target. In area's where tags for wild lions are done ( tags handed out by the government bio's) it is because the area has more lions that they want in that area or conflict is high. The cycle you listed above can happen any time non biological lions head out to new area. Old males will stop fathering after 8-10 years and go nomad, they are often the targets.

And this is not the case for all things we call trophies, mountain lion males are solitary and only the female stays with the litter and in the case of the brown bear old males are targeted as they will kill young to try and breed the female. This is why in areas they want to recover numbers they will remove the dominant male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post

There are many problems with farmed lions just as there are with farmed fish. When you really look into it, wild lion populations would be much healthier and much better off without farmed hunting. Farmed hunting has destroyed lion populations. Jay's also talking about legal wild lion hunting. Not farmed lion hunting. Why would a conservation minded hunter think it's ok to shoot a lion when there aren't enough of them around? There's a specific scenario where it may be beneficial to kill off an older male of a species but that's up to biologists not hunters.
How has farmed hunting destroyed number? These areas often gap between national parks and villages acting as a buffer and keeping down conflicts. They are also patrolled so there is less poaching in these areas. There are only 3 countries that allow lion hunting, they allow it because there populations can handle it, as per the biologists there. This is not a case where someone is just showing up and doing what they want, it is structured and the money for the wildlife studies and programs comes from the hunting which is why Botswana reopened elephant hunting(they feel they are above carrying capacity in areas) to fund there conservation studies.

You may not like the pictures but at the end of the day if the government feels there are too many in a area or they are in conflict with village and livestock then you will see them shot out of helicopters/poisoned (both used for alberta wolves) or you can earn income on them and yes any safari or guide uses the meat.
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how we've gone from crazy Edmontonian taxidermist Lion murderers to bad 90s films and vintage TV guide.

Drop. The. Puck.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #45
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

'DISGUSTED': Daughter of lion killing Canadian couple speaks out

https://canoe.com/news/world/disgust...ple-speaks-out

Sydney Carter, 19, the daughter of Darren, addresses her father directly, condemning his actions and vowing never to call him dad again.

(to be fair, it seems she hated him to begin with)
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #46
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“After everything he’s done, he didn’t pay child support, he didn’t even give my mom a little bit of money, but he has enough to pay for a $15,000 trip to Africa with his wife that he cheated on my mom with to go to Africa and trophy hunt.
Sounds like a real stand-up dude.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #47
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

Sydney Carter, 19, the daughter of Darren, addresses her father directly, condemning his actions and vowing never to call him dad again.

Hey try to stay on topic
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #49
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJolg View Post
How has farmed hunting destroyed number? These areas often gap between national parks and villages acting as a buffer and keeping down conflicts.

Because like 99.99% of everything in Africa, hunting is felled by corruption and antiquated laws. South Africa allows the sale of lion bones to south east Asia. They allow 800 lions a year to be sold in such a manner. This effectively creates an open market for poachers (not like anyone is counting lions at the border). I'm not going to post dozens of articles on the issue. You should check for yourself. But the easiest thing to understand is lion populations before and after canned lion hunts. The wild population fell by 2/3's since the early 90's when canned hunting began. Among other issues is the relatively cheap cost of a canned lion hunt brings down the cost of a wild hunt. None of the money gets to local populations from a lion farm and farms are just as likely to interfere with migration patterns as create a buffer zone. Lions need habitat not farms. No farmed lion has ever been released into the wild. Farmed lions pass on diseases to wild lions. Watch "Blood Lion" if you want to see what the reality is.

Quote:
You may not like the pictures but at the end of the day if the government feels there are too many in a area or they are in conflict with village and livestock then you will see them shot out of helicopters/poisoned (both used for alberta wolves) or you can earn income on them and yes any safari or guide uses the meat.
The government doesn't think there are too many lions. There's only a couple thousand in all of South Africa. If a lion is rampaging through your ancestral village I fully support killing it.

Bringing up the Alberta wolf cull is super ironic and typical of what hunters and untrained wildlife officers think about population control. The reality is our wolf cull has not increased caribou populations in targeted areas. In fact caribou populations have gone down in those areas...or rather followed the decline of other populations in areas where wolves were not culled. When wolves are introduced into new areas, ungulates thrive as does the balance of the ecosystem. If you want thriving populations you need to expand natural habitat, not shrink it via farms or other industrial projects.

It's super easy and logical to think like this...want more rabbits? Kill everything that eats rabbits. But that's not how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

That's heart breaking. I do not understand abandoning your kid like that. Add a really stupid looking dbag full sleeve of dumb tattoos to his dbag resume...another thousand bucks his kid didn't get. I fully support all the shame that comes his way now. Poor kid.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #50
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Were refunds a thing for bad movies? I don't recall ever asking for a refund because a movie was bad. At the end of the day it's on the renter to do a little homework on the movie in advance if $5.50 means that much to them.
I wasn't completely accurate in describing that. In reality, we would offer the angry customer a free rental in exchange. Rarely did we give them cash back.
But we stocked some real garbage on the shelves that we sourced from some low quality suppliers. Particularly when we no longer could afford a lot of copies of the popular stuff, we would fill it up with b-movie trash.

Not a well run business. But a great part-time job.
I would sit there and watch movies and play Sega genesis and make pizza for myself (once we moved to McKnight and Edmonton Trail the owner figured the key to success would be having a pizza oven)
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote