Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #7401
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Well, it isn’t debatable. Not in any near term timeframe at any rate. Not unless you and everyone else on Earth wants lower qualities of lives, which they don’t and nobody is serious about.

I recommend researching energy, it’s use, demand and precisely what types of things oil and gas provide. It’s a hell of a long list that’s a hell of a lot short on substitutes that don’t otherwise also destroy the planet- and that’s if they exist at all. Any chatter about a quick transition away from oil, and by quick I mean like the next 30-40 years, is unlikely IMO.

Hell we are still working on phasing out coal let alone oil and gas. In fact I think gas consumption is set to grow not shrink. But sure let’s continue to all pretend we care about the environment and climate change and not do anything about it because it means a massive, enormous change to our lives to the massive, enormous downside.

Anyway I look forward to your response from your almost entirely oil and gas supplied life about how you want it phased out but don’t understand what it is or what it does or how much of it you rely on. Again, I recommend some thorough research on all the products and pieces of your life that rely on it, then let’s start the debate. But there is no debate with idealist nonsense based on hyper groupthink popular commentary about “the transition “. Nobody is ready or really willing to “transition”.
Sounds like you’re the one who doesn’t understand the industry. Even Shell has come out with a prediction that oil demand is seat to peak in the next five years and start to fall away as other energy sources overtake it.

Will oil disappear in 40 years? No. Will we be much much less reliant on it than we are today as other energy sources take over? Absolutely.

Just because it’s something you can’t personally imagine, doesn’t mean it’s hyper groupthink and idealist nonsense. If it is, I guess you’re one of the very few in the world not in “the group.” How does sand taste?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #7402
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Trump probably did enough to hold onto his hard core base. At the same time I highly doubt he did anything that encouraged the undecided to vote for him.

Biden on the other hand held his own and did nothing to discourage people from voting for him.
CNN’s little poll of decideds had nine moving to Biden, none to Trump, and two still undecided. Unscientific but interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:53 PM   #7403
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
CNN’s little poll of decideds had nine moving to Biden, none to Trump, and two still undecided. Unscientific but interesting.
lol I hope someone is there to get them home safely
Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #7404
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

"undecideds" are Trump voters who want to keep it to themselves.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #7405
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
"undecideds" are Trump voters who want to keep it to themselves.
Yeah, I think that could be one wild card in all this with regards to polling. You'd think almost anyone who's still undecided would eventually just vote for Trump (if at all). If he hasn't turned you off yet, then what's it going to take?
Old 10-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #7406
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell was Biden thinking saying that oil will get phased out?!

There’s only political downside to that statement, especially given the swing states in play. Dude just needs to stick to the empty platitudes and let Trump keep hanging himself. Trump almost couldn’t believe his ears. Seemed genuinely shocked to be gifted that.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:06 AM   #7407
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sounds like you’re the one who doesn’t understand the industry. Even Shell has come out with a prediction that oil demand is seat to peak in the next five years and start to fall away as other energy sources overtake it.

Will oil disappear in 40 years? No. Will we be much much less reliant on it than we are today as other energy sources take over? Absolutely.

Just because it’s something you can’t personally imagine, doesn’t mean it’s hyper groupthink and idealist nonsense. If it is, I guess you’re one of the very few in the world not in “the group.” How does sand taste?
So “oil will be phased out” but it won’t be phased out in the next 40 years?

Sorry what exactly are we talking about here? I guess let’s try this another way, what do we all mean by “oil will be phased out”?

Because you made a statement I can agree with but it doesn’t mean what’s implicated by Biden tonight, or whatever he said was very disengenuous and by the way if there’s any country on earth I don’t believe for a millisecond that gives a rats ass about “phasing out oil” it’s the United States. Any global consumption chart for the last 3 or 4 decades should tell you that.

And no, sorry, when it comes to energy, oil is not going anywhere in a material way. In fact if you follow along the BP’s and Shell’s of the world, even they don’t say that. So what are we talking about when we say “phasing out”. The way Biden tried to characterize it or the reality of what’s going to happen (people will still use a #### ton of it)?
Old 10-23-2020, 12:14 AM   #7408
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post

There’s only political downside to that statement, especially given the swing states in play. Dude just needs to stick to the empty platitudes and let Trump keep hanging himself. Trump almost couldn’t believe his ears. Seemed genuinely shocked to be gifted that.
The VAST majority of Americans want fossil fuels phased out...even in the swing states

The "I heart Oil" types weren't voting for Biden or democrat anyway

Last edited by dino7c; 10-23-2020 at 12:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 12:16 AM   #7409
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I highly disagree they do.

People can say things they want, it’s their actions I would look at. The average American and Canadian for that matter have absolutely no clue how much oil and gas they depend on. Like, zero. So no if the average American understood what “phasing out” oil and gas would mean to them- I highly doubt they would want that.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:27 AM   #7410
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post

Trump couldn't believe his ears that someone was telling the people the truth.

Oil is going to be phased out as a primary fuel. That is just the way it needs to be.

Oil extraction will continue long past that point though as oil has other industrial purposes.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:44 AM   #7411
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

So a) that’s quite a large departure from “oil will be phased out”. Words matter. They have meaning.

B) what are we saying here? Oil as a primary fuel will be phased out. When? Where? How? What “fuels”? Like... jet fuels too? Worldwide? What timeframe? I know Tesla just posted record sales and all that snazzy stuff but if you look at worldwide car manufacturing projections into the future- ICE vehicles still will make up the majority (large majority last I saw unless there’s new data which I’m happy to look at) of future vehicle sales.

What’s going on with ethanes propane butane condensates and heavy oils? What’s going on with lighter ends and roads? No more roads? No more clothes? Chemicals and petrochemicals?

Phasing it all out? Such a stupid phoney argument. Let’s be intentionally vague. You can’t fly around on solar panels people.

Oil isn’t going anywhere in a material way for a long time. It just isn’t. And people don’t care enough about climate change or the environment or any of that stuff more than themselves and it’s simply human nature.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 01:00 AM   #7412
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I highly disagree they do.

People can say things they want, it’s their actions I would look at. The average American and Canadian for that matter have absolutely no clue how much oil and gas they depend on. Like, zero. So no if the average American understood what “phasing out” oil and gas would mean to them- I highly doubt they would want that.
So how is that relevant to the election? fact is the vast majority of Americans support phasing out oil. When the guy who just said they will phase out oil (over 30 years) gets millions more votes a week Tuesday you wont have much of an argument.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:10 AM   #7413
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we see some proof of this "vast majority" fact?

Also, the latter part of your statement is just ridiculous. It's not a vote on oil policy, it's a vote on the president against the worst president in anyone's lifetime.

Last edited by nik-; 10-23-2020 at 01:14 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 04:55 AM   #7414
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Car companies aren’t moving increasingly to hybrids and full electric vehicles for the hell of it. Utilities are not moving to greener forms of energy and phasing out fossils fuels in their portfolio for the hell of it. Chemical companies aren’t moving to solventless and green processes for the hell of it (company I work for no longer allows new products to launch without the process being solventless or near quantitative recovery of solvents).

They are doing these things because of customer demand and a feeling of responsibility to the communities they operate in.

The way the world is moving can be summed up by the following: make electricity green and then electrify everything.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:17 AM   #7415
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Mr. Coffee for the win!

Anyone who is familiar with the oil industry knows that a peak in oil production has been predicted many times throughout the decades, never to come true (or deter future predictions of same).

Read any of the CP oil and gas threads your dealing with a subject matter expert, both you and Cali got owned.

Unfortunately you waded into an argument that you couldn’t twist round and round into your social justice warrior abys.

The poster child for CERB telling someone with infinite knowledge of the industry “how’s that sand taste?” is delicious.

It’s fascinating to see how the average person has such little understanding of how oil and gas intertwines life like crazy.

Peak oil demand is the flavor of the month and people are rushing to publish predictions, prescriptions, guidelines, and fantastical views of a fantastical future. But petroleum remains by far the fuel of choice in transportation and other industries.

You sound like every person interviewed representing green energy in Micheal Moore’s documentary short on answers but not short on catch phrases and moral high grounds.

Last edited by Yoho; 10-23-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #7416
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes the use of the term “existential” when referring to CC is going too far. I would put that in with doomsday conspiracy theories and there is no evidence if that. Many animals will face extinction if we continue to destroy the planet(due to many other environmental factors as well) but not humans.

Nuclear weapons remain the biggest threat to our extinction. Other then the short bit about North Korea it really did not come up that much.

On the rest of the debate I think we can put our minds to rest, Trump is done. His performance was good but it seemed like this is his first step in moving to a new career and a part of shoring up his post presidential act.

Nixon did well after he left office and stayed in the public eye. He showed up often on news shows as a commentator on foreign policy.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 10-23-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #7417
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Mr. Coffee for the win!

Anyone who is familiar with the oil industry knows that a peak in oil production has been predicted many times throughout the decades, never to come true (or deter future predictions of same).

Read any of the CP oil and gas threads your dealing with a subject matter expert, both you and Cali got owned.

Unfortunately you waded into an argument that you couldn’t twist round and round into your social justice warrior abys.

The poster child for CERB telling someone with infinite knowledge of the industry “how’s that sand taste?” is delicious.

It’s fascinating to see how the average person has such little understanding of how oil and gas intertwines life like crazy.

Peak oil demand is the flavor of the month and people are rushing to publish predictions, prescriptions, guidelines, and fantastical views of a fantastical future. But petroleum remains by far the fuel of choice in transportation and other industries.

You sound like every person interviewed representing green energy in Micheal Moore’s documentary short on answers but not short on catch phrases and moral high grounds.
Really? I was just parroting Shell, Mr. Coffee “owner” them, did he? His infinite knowledge outweighs one of the biggest energy companies in the world, does it? But oh yes, you got me with the cliche “you don’t know how intertwined it is in our lives!” line. While I’m sure it’s nice pretending people don’t know that, fact is that they do, and the projections remain the same. Oh well, right?

That said, Sorry, I’m not too shook by being called a social justice warrior or poster child CERB from CP’s resident racist Trump fanboy, though I’m surprised you didn’t go back to the thrilling “you rent your home!” line, such an original. Maybe you can go back to posting tweets and giving out thanks, original content isn’t really your speed bud.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #7418
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please, keep posting these anti-science takes everyone. It really helps to populate my ignore list in a more efficient way if I can see them all in one spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #7419
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, it isn’t debatable. Not in any near term timeframe at any rate. Not unless you and everyone else on Earth wants lower qualities of lives, which they don’t and nobody is serious about.

I recommend researching energy, it’s use, demand and precisely what types of things oil and gas provide. It’s a hell of a long list that’s a hell of a lot short on substitutes that don’t otherwise also destroy the planet- and that’s if they exist at all. Any chatter about a quick transition away from oil, and by quick I mean like the next 30-40 years, is unlikely IMO.

Hell we are still working on phasing out coal let alone oil and gas. In fact I think gas consumption is set to grow not shrink. But sure let’s continue to all pretend we care about the environment and climate change and not do anything about it because it means a massive, enormous change to our lives to the massive, enormous downside.

Anyway I look forward to your response from your almost entirely oil and gas supplied life about how you want it phased out but don’t understand what it is or what it does or how much of it you rely on. Again, I recommend some thorough research on all the products and pieces of your life that rely on it, then let’s start the debate. But there is no debate with idealist nonsense based on hyper groupthink popular commentary about “the transition “. Nobody is ready or really willing to “transition”.
I’ll be your huckleberry.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 10-23-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:26 AM   #7420
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Please, keep posting these anti-science takes everyone. It really helps to populate my ignore list in a more efficient way if I can see them all in one spot.
Bro YoU gOt OwNeDdddd
Closed Thread