Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2017, 01:12 PM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Sure...but autofocus was fast 5 years ago...very fast 3 years ago...very very fast last year.

I'm all for good value...just pointing out that cameras from a few years ago are cheap as borscht and can provide functionality well beyond the needs and capabilities of most users.

ISO however, is worth the $$$ if you shoot in low light or indoors.
Totally agree, anything in the last 5 years will be a big improvement over a 10 year old model on focus and ISO.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #42
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well I will give the old Canon a try first. There is still a few weeks left in my kids seasons so if it doesnt work out with the 9yr old one I guess I will have to look around for other options. Sounds like faster autofocus may be a big difference maker on the newer models.

My worry is that I wont be able to hold it steady enough so I may look into using a tripod. Ice sports move real quick so we'll see.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #43
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A monopod would be your best bet. You can get tripods that detach one leg for a monopod, if you want both options.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #44
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Practise practise practise.

Practise the rule of 3.
Practise a steady hand.
Practise focusing on a specific point and snapping the shot when the subject enters the frame. (Pre focus)
Practise taking shots without looking into view finder or screen.
Practise taking shots while moving (steady hand and smooth movements)
Practise accessories deployment such as tripods, lens hood etc.

Auto focus and ISO are huge improvements over the last few years, but IMO, they're improvements that mostly aid unskilled people take better pictures "by accident". Changing angles, waiting for subjects to enter the frame, proper "centering" of the subject in the photo, those help to take better shots too.

I am one of those fools that likes to point a camera on auto and click pictures. I sometimes wish I could sit down and tweak settings for much more killer shots, but I am too lazy for that.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #45
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Your form also matters. Holding the camera to your face means you've got another contact point. Placing the viewfinder against your eye socket helps hold it more steady as will holding your arms against your body instead of out in front of you. Positioning the shoulder strap so it's tight before you take the shot could also help steady the camera. Also control your breathing...basically pretend you're a sniper.

Or get a support like a tri or monopod. There are a ton of instructables of bodging your own tri/monopod out of a bolt and some string. It may seem silly but having tried it, it does help. There are also people who have used PVC tubing, ski poles, dowels and the like for a decent alternative.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #46
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mounted an arca-swiss receiver on my hiking pole for a monopod. It works great and nice to have a dual use piece of gear while in the mountains.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #47
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the advice guys. In years past it seems like there always used to be a photographer at my kids tournaments that I could go through their shots and find a nice one to put in a frame. But its been a few years and many tournaments since I have found this setup in place again. I would like to update their 8x10 frames with some more current action shots.

Hopefully I can get lucky with my own work!
Old 01-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #48
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't know to post this in the endless photo thread or here, but it seems like this might be the start of a good gear type thread...so here.

Anyway, I need/want a tripod. I've looked at all kinds online and read lots, and was getting a little overwhelmed with info. when I saw this recommendation. A Wirecutter article ranked it their best buy. I'd like it if I didn't have to spend much more than this and I'm getting tired of looking.

I'd be using it for landscapes for the most part, with the possibility of wildlife shots as well. I'd do a bit of hiking with it, but more out of vehicle use. Seem like a good all round tripod for a relative noob? Any reason not to get this particular one, or recommend something better around the same price?

Vanguard Alta Pro
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #49
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Vanguard-VAVEO...PPZXCQQ2ENA3BW

I think the Camera Store has it $10 cheaper, and you can go check it out. I chose this because I wanted something small enough to be portable for travel, and this is very compact with the extra leg segment. It is sturdy enough for my D7100 with 18-200 lens, but on the lighter side of most. I wanted the snap lock legs, not the twist. I've strapped it to my camera backpack and taken it biking without much issue. It's also a couple pounds lighter than the one you selected.

Honestly for a tripod of this price, I'd go to the Camera Store and get hands on with them, see what you like. Which is what I did, then told my wife to buy it for my birthday . They have a few of the Vangaurds and Manfroto in this price range.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #50
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. In years past it seems like there always used to be a photographer at my kids tournaments that I could go through their shots and find a nice one to put in a frame. But its been a few years and many tournaments since I have found this setup in place again. I would like to update their 8x10 frames with some more current action shots.

Hopefully I can get lucky with my own work!
If he is still playing in February I can possibly come out and shoot a couple photos for you. I am an amateur and go out occasionally to practice. Here are some of my shots.

Here are a couple I have taken:

Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #51
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
If he is still playing in February I can possibly come out and shoot a couple photos for you. I am an amateur and go out occasionally to practice. Here are some of my shots.

Here are a couple I have taken:

Thats a very kind offer! Hopefully I can get something decent on my own, but I will check in with you if I am failing miserably. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 AM   #52
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
...Any reason not to get this particular one, or recommend something better around the same price?

Vanguard Alta Pro
It is not cheap and it is aluminum, which is a bit heavy. Add $100 and go for carbon fibre. Gitzo carbon fibre tripods are super lightweight and sturdy. Plus, used ones are almost as good as new ones. You can pick a good used Gitzo on eBay or Kijiji. Gitzo Traveler series are the lightest, yet very solid.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2017, 06:16 AM   #53
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I looked at the Gitzo's but they started at $1000. Mine is aluminum, and weighs just a little more than the Gitzo's I looked at, and is just as compact. Sure, it isn't as high quality, but it also wasn't $1000. Most of the Carbon ones I looked at in my research weren't much lighter, maybe a few hundred grams at most.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #54
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, at this point Gitzo is out of my league.

One thing I'm wondering is height importance. I mean obviously you're gonna want it as close to eye level as possible, I guess? So many of these look suitable, but then I see max height isn't even 60". My eye level is around 72" give or take.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #55
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found researching that everything is a compromise with tripods. Want more height? It will be heavier and less sturdy. Want a travel size one? More leg segments. And on and on. You sound tall, so I don't think you will ever find a perfect one. I'm 5'11 and in using mine I don't extend the upper segment to much and it isn't to awkward even though the camera is lower.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #56
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good tips. Thanks. Do you find the snap click legs quicker and easier than twist?
Old 01-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #57
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that you can unlock all the snaps, collapse, and snap them closed all at once. I've never used the twist lock but I think they would take more time. The benefit is probably lighter weight and a little more streamlined.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #58
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Yeah, at this point Gitzo is out of my league...
That's negative thinking, Buzzard . Gitzo makes the best tripods and monopods on the market today, so the retail prices start to reflect that. They weren't nearly as high just a couple of years ago. If there's one thing I have learned in this hobby, if you don't really need something right now, a little patience will bring good rewards. People get in and out of the hobby; they often sell stuff that's nearly new or even never used. I have three Gitzo tripods - Traveler (light), Mountaineer (medium) and Series 3 (heavy-duty) plus a really heavy Bogen for studio macro photography and I spent less than $1,000 in total buying them. Your bird photos suggest to me that you are a patient guy. Why not do some bargain hunting and get the best for less than half-price?

Also, good tripod is only part of the deal. You also need a good reliable tripod head and quick-plate. Gitzo makes decent heads (although not the smoothest). Markins ball heads are the best - they work like butter, but again, you will need to hunt for one to get it for 50% of retail. In the beginning, I suggest hunting for an all-in Gitzo (tripod+head) deal on eBay and you will find one within budget if you stretch it a little. I have a decent Gitzo head with Gitzo quick-plate, which I don't use anymore (I switched to all Markins heads and arca-swiss plates); if you end up buying a Gitzo tripod without a head, let me know, I can let you use it so that you can try it out and see if you like it.

These are quick examples right off eBay today:

Mountaineer:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/401265328203?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201790929753?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

One more thing, total height is VERY important and relevant to your eye level. If you plan on spending more than a couple of minutes at the tripod, bending even slightly down to the viewfinder for more than a few minutes strains your neck and back a lot. This means - to Fuzz's point - there are compromises for leg height/column height/weight/folded size and, of course, price. This is where 3-section vs. 4-section becomes important.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 01-27-2017 at 11:38 AM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #59
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Thats a very kind offer! Hopefully I can get something decent on my own, but I will check in with you if I am failing miserably. Thanks!
You should try to get some pointers from someone who has an idea about photography. It's always nice to take pictures with someone more experienced. From a similar vantage point, they can help you correct and explain the differences in yours and their pics. Things you wouldn't even know to look for or ask.

This especially since they know the conditions of the photos taken, they have a better ability to explain what you're doing that's hampering your photos after looking at them (ISO, aperture, form, angle/rule of 3rds, flash/zoom etc.). You won't learn all of it in one go, but learning basic form and tips will go a long way to figuring out how to take good pictures.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #60
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
That's negative thinking, Buzzard . Gitzo makes the best tripods and monopods on the market today, so the retail prices start to reflect that. They weren't nearly as high just a couple of years ago. If there's one thing I have learned in this hobby, if you don't really need something right now, a little patience will bring good rewards. People get in and out of the hobby; they often sell stuff that's nearly new or even never used. I have three Gitzo tripods - Traveler (light), Mountaineer (medium) and Series 3 (heavy-duty) plus a really heavy Bogen for studio macro photography and I spent less than $1,000 in total buying them. Your bird photos suggest to me that you are a patient guy. Why not do some bargain hunting and get the best for less than half-price?

Also, good tripod is only part of the deal. You also need a good reliable tripod head and quick-plate. Gitzo makes decent heads (although not the smoothest). Markins ball heads are the best - they work like butter, but again, you will need to hunt for one to get it for 50% of retail. In the beginning, I suggest hunting for an all-in Gitzo (tripod+head) deal on eBay and you will find one within budget if you stretch it a little. I have a decent Gitzo head with Gitzo quick-plate, which I don't use anymore (I switched to all Markins heads and arca-swiss plates); if you end up buying a Gitzo tripod without a head, let me know, I can let you use it so that you can try it out and see if you like it.

These are quick examples right off eBay today:

Mountaineer:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/401265328203?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201790929753?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

One more thing, total height is VERY important and relevant to your eye level. If you plan on spending more than a couple of minutes at the tripod, bending even slightly down to the viewfinder for more than a few minutes strains your neck and back a lot. This means - to Fuzz's point - there are compromises for leg height/column height/weight/folded size and, of course, price. This is where 3-section vs. 4-section becomes important.
Ha, patience definitely isn't my strong suit! I'm more lucky than patient, that's for sure.

I didn't think to look on ebay for used. I looked on kijiji and didn't see any Gitzo. I think I will be patient though and keep watching. Looks like there may be some good deals to be had on ebay.

Thanks for the info and the offer on the Gitzo head. I'll figure out something and if I go that route, I'll let you know.