Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #141
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learned that the extreme side effects of medication are real and can happen to anyone. After decades of just glazing over briefly over side effects of prescribed medication, never being worried I got stung last night. I got a prescription of levofloxacin and took my first pill before bed. I woke up at 1 am with tingling and sharp pains all up and down my arms right to my fingers. Persisted all night and even right now my fingers don't feel right. Never, ever felt anything like it before as it felt like my entire arms were asleep, arthritis, and lighting pulses of pain. I checked the side effects and peripheral neuropathy is exactly what happened. Needless to say I won't take another one of these pills as the damage can be permanent.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #142
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh that's the one that causes achilles ruptures too. Is there an alternative?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Oh that's the one that causes achilles ruptures too. Is there an alternative?
Yes it is. I stopped taking the medication (only took one pill) and have an appointment with my doctor to discuss.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #144
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I may be a little sarcastic. Who knew?
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #145
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a few years ago had a major bone breakage and over a week stay in the hospital. Witch Doctor prescribed a non-opiod narcotic for pain management. Told her I don't metabolize that stuff... she insisted... I said fine we'll try it your way first. Didn't work. She refused all changes to her medication program whilst in the hospital. In addition to almost zero pain control I ended up with about 90% of the negative side effects including that neuropathy, lightning bolts up & down my legs, tingling nerves, numbness, wild dreams on the few occasions I was actually able to sleep, headaches, incredible thirst, and of course lovely bowel issues. Never had anything like that before. Witch still insisted I continue the meds, we had a big argument, she eventually "divorced" me as a patient.

After approx 2 weeks on the nasty meds it took almost another 2 weeks after stopping for the bad sh*t to stop and the body to return to normal. Fortunately I had extra pain meds at home that substantially helped me, and I was easily able to wean myself off them (not to mention I simply ran out).

So yeah, take the side effects seriously and don't be afraid to ask/advocate for alternatives to suit your pain management (and other issues). Also be sure to advocate for your friends/family as well if their doctor and/or drug program is not working for them. This is serious stuff and can have real consequences.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #146
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I learned that the extreme side effects of medication are real and can happen to anyone. After decades of just glazing over briefly over side effects of prescribed medication, never being worried I got stung last night. I got a prescription of levofloxacin and took my first pill before bed. I woke up at 1 am with tingling and sharp pains all up and down my arms right to my fingers. Persisted all night and even right now my fingers don't feel right. Never, ever felt anything like it before as it felt like my entire arms were asleep, arthritis, and lighting pulses of pain. I checked the side effects and peripheral neuropathy is exactly what happened. Needless to say I won't take another one of these pills as the damage can be permanent.
I took levofloxacin for pneumonia and it screwed up my knees really badly. I could barely walk down stairs for a few months. I know it's on us as patients to be aware of side effects but doctors really need to let people know how serious they can be with that one.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #147
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't think I was a fan of martinis but after making a gin martini with Tanquery no. 10 gin, I think I might have found a recipe I like

2 oz Tanquery no. 10 gin, splash of dry vermouth, splash of olive brine and 3 olives (for a dirty martini), stirred with a lot of ice, and strained into a martini glass

LChoy
Old 10-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #148
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How to make a martini.

1 Martini glass
some Gin - good type
minuscule amount of dry vermouth

Pour good gin, minuscule amount of dry vermouth in shaker and shake good gin ferociously.
Pour in martini glass.

That's all, don't even think about adding anything else.

Last edited by Fuzz; 10-21-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:00 AM   #149
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learned what Quibi is.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:23 AM   #150
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I learned what Quibi is.
On the day they announced they're shutting down.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #151
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learnt I don't want to live without a beer or two.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #152
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today I learned Clemson University has a freshman WR who is from Brooks. First Canadian kid to play football for Clemson. Ajou Ajou, he is the son of Sudanese immigrants. That is an awesome feel good story.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #153
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Bama has a receiver from Burlington too I think.

And then there’s the Abbotsford kid Chase Claypool who played for ND and is now tearing it up for the Steelers.

Some good Canadian content out there right now. Good to see.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #154
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. Chuba Hubbard probably at the top of the list right now for Canadian talent in the NCAA.

Deane Leonard (Calgary) playing at Mississippi State too. Two Canadians on that roster.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #155
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Mixing songs is incredibly time-consuming with a virtually infinite number of possible settings
2. Should probably pay a professional to do it
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #156
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That returning to school at 44yrs old isn't as awkward and intimidating as I anticipated it to be.
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CrazyCaper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #157
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
That returning to school at 44yrs old isn't as awkward and intimidating as I anticipated it to be.
My brother is 46 and he's starting his machinist third year at SAIT on Monday. He was a chef for years and wanted a change of pace. I'm not sure I could do it but I congratulate you both.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #158
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
Good for you!! that's awesome. am curious about your journey back to school, what's the driving force, and plan going forward.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #159
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Good for you!! that's awesome. am curious about your journey back to school, what's the driving force, and plan going forward.
It was a hard and scary decision to make. Just recently had a baby and my wife is currently on mat leave. Have been in sales for close to 20yrs with some high profile organizations but can read the writing on the wall that salespeople, like myself, are running on limited time.

Started doing some research into different medical programs and realized that most require some sort of chemistry background. I'm currently enrolled in academic upgrading at SAIT with an anticipated finish date of December. Have applied to 2 different programs for enrollment next fall. Will know in a few weeks if I was successful. Fingers crossed.
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CrazyCaper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #160
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Harem” is pronounced “hah-reem”. Learned that twice yesterday via disparate BBC clips about elephants.