Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #61
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have both and think you can't go wrong with either, but if you are a guy that is going to play a lot online, get the Xbox 360. PS3 Network sucks, and can't hold a candle to Microsoft. EA sports games in particular are extremely laggy on Playstation Network. I bought Madden for PS3 and returned it for the XBOX 360 copy so I could actually stand playing a game of it online.

Any extra money you pay for the Microsoft Online Network is well worth it.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:33 AM   #62
C-ero
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
No. No it doesn't.

I am a nintendo fan boy. At the end of the day, I will play my Wii before 360 or PS3.

But in previous console generations it was N64 and PSX, Gamecube and PS2 annnnnd.... Wii60.

Why? the change? Because the PS3 is an inferior gaming machine. Sure it's a better media system, but for games? The exclusives and the way it plays multi-platformers just don't compare to the X-Box.

Uncharted is a glorfied Tomb Raider that plays more like a bad action movie than an action game. At least Halo has the claim to fame that it completely changed a genre, not played right into a cookie cutter of it.
Halo is a glorified...any FPS game ever made before it.

But there is really no point in arguing about these TBH. All comes down to personal preference.
C-ero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 AM   #63
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Uncharted 2 was short, boring, contrived, linear, one dimensional, and dumb.

However, the graphics, voice acting, and overall motions of characters and surroundings (physics) were top notch.

However, for me it failed on game play which is the biggest factor.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #64
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which is now the standard for all FPSes. They changed it.
So your definition of redefining is dumbing down a genre? I really hope they don't create new standards that often then.

PC FPSes give you much better degrees of customization, content expansions, tactile feel, precision, etc that you couldn't possibly hope for on Xbox or PS3.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #65
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Uncharted 2 was short, boring, contrived, linear, one dimensional, and dumb.

However, the graphics, voice acting, and overall motions of characters and surroundings (physics) were top notch.
The same could easily be said about Halo.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #66
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
PS3 controller is straight out of 1997.

360 FTW.
Really? Even though I already have a Xbox360, I bought a PS3 just because I wanted the play FF13 on a Playstation controller rather than the bulky crappy Xbox360 controller. So I guess PS3 FTW!
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #67
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like 360 controllers for FPS and sports.

I like PS3 controllers for platformers and fighting games.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #68
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
redefining
Kind of the definition of the word.

Changing something. Not for better or for worse, but changing something.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #69
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like someone pointed out

- Pick the same console as your friends you are likely going to be playing with. One of the more enjoyable aspects of console gaming is that it is easy to play with your friends.
- If you are not a multiplayer, than the above point doesn't matter. Go with than the interface and controller.
- I don't put too much weight on exclusive titles. The really biggest games over the year have been released on all systems. However, if there is one console that has an exclusive game that you will play, and play often, than it makes sense to pick that console
- Network ability. PS3 use to have the edge with built in blu-ray. However blu-ray players are much cheaper now than they first use to be. PS3 is easier to network to your TV, computer, and entertainment system imo. Xbox however does the job just as well, but without Blu-ray

Honestly, go with what you think is right for you, as everyone has their own preferences
Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #70
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Screw both the PS3 and 360. He should be getting a Wii!
Welllll... Epic Mickey does look like a pretty freakin' sweet game.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #71
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Really? Even though I already have a Xbox360, I bought a PS3 just because I wanted the play FF13 on a Playstation controller rather than the bulky crappy Xbox360 controller. So I guess PS3 FTW!
I guess one reason for my preference is that I'm 6'4 and the little PS3 controller gets lost in my big hands. It's like playing hockey with a really really small stick.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #72
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who want Xbox 360 controllers on their PS3s there are adapters for this sort of thing
http://www.xcmlive.com/cgi-bin/xcmli...d&id=RKS000165
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #73
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks a lot for all the information folks. I am still mulling all this information over. I don't know if it's swayed me toward one system or the other, rather I think it's tempted me to buy both! But I won't be doing that right away, I'll pick one and go from there. I've also started amassing a list of cross platform games that I would like to play.

A couple people mentioned Wii and PC gaming. I already own a Wii like most people, and I am sure like most people, I never use it. No reason in particular, I just don't use it. As for PC gaming I find it's good for some types of games, but not others. RTS's like Starcraft and first person shooters are the only things I play on it. I would like to play more racing, action adventure, and third person games which I find are better suited for console playing. I'll still play the occasional game on the PC, but I want to shift toward the console. Bigger screen, better sound, more comfortable seating etc.

What's the multiplayer experience like compared to PC multiplayer? I've found that with PC gaming there are constant updates to the game, or steam or the server hosting the game. Is the Xbox or PS3 experience any better? It's annoying when you want a quick play of a multiplayer game but you spend most of your time updating.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #74
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I prefer Shooters/sport games on 360. RPG's on ps3 >3 . Live>PSN. However, if i didn't own a blu-ray player, i would choose the ps3 as you gain alot more benefit from it imo.

the 360 is a much better multiplayer gaming experience. more people use mic's etc. ps3 is a better fit for a tv room with no other high def setup (i also think the DLNA streaming on ps3 is better then the 360 counterpart..)

and if it matters at all, kinect seems to have taken off much more then ps3 move..but as you said, you don't play your wii so i dunno if that is important.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #75
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm an XBox 360 owner and totally think I should've went PS3 (I won't go into detail here, I'm sure you can find my issues with 360 in that older thread). But one plus I'll give for XBox over PS3, especially considering the forum we're on:

as a guy who's played NHL'11 on both systems, does anyone else find it to run waaay better on XBox? It seems so much less fluid on PS3, and harder to create offence. My buddy bought a PS3 basically just for NHL'11, and already wants to exchange it for an XBox because he thinks the game sucks on PS3. It just seems more bogged down to me.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #76
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I'm an XBox 360 owner and totally think I should've went PS3 (I won't go into detail here, I'm sure you can find my issues with 360 in that older thread). But one plus I'll give for XBox over PS3, especially considering the forum we're on:

as a guy who's played NHL'11 on both systems, does anyone else find it to run waaay better on XBox? It seems so much less fluid on PS3, and harder to create offence. My buddy bought a PS3 basically just for NHL'11, and already wants to exchange it for an XBox because he thinks the game sucks on PS3. It just seems more bogged down to me.
i find most EA sports games i've played play better on 360 then ps3.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #77
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
i find most EA sports games i've played play better on 360 then ps3.
For sports games if you want to play multiplayer online and you're willing to pay for live it might be worth it. For local play though, PS3 wins because it can connect more controllers. Nothing beats having 4 friends over and playing online vs matches with all the positions filled. High fives are better in person.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #78
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Thanks a lot for all the information folks. I am still mulling all this information over. I don't know if it's swayed me toward one system or the other, rather I think it's tempted me to buy both! But I won't be doing that right away, I'll pick one and go from there. I've also started amassing a list of cross platform games that I would like to play.

A couple people mentioned Wii and PC gaming. I already own a Wii like most people, and I am sure like most people, I never use it. No reason in particular, I just don't use it. As for PC gaming I find it's good for some types of games, but not others. RTS's like Starcraft and first person shooters are the only things I play on it. I would like to play more racing, action adventure, and third person games which I find are better suited for console playing. I'll still play the occasional game on the PC, but I want to shift toward the console. Bigger screen, better sound, more comfortable seating etc.

What's the multiplayer experience like compared to PC multiplayer? I've found that with PC gaming there are constant updates to the game, or steam or the server hosting the game. Is the Xbox or PS3 experience any better? It's annoying when you want a quick play of a multiplayer game but you spend most of your time updating.

With respect to PC gaming, I'm fortunate in that my computer can be synced to my TV. There are a few advantages to PC gaming. It's better for FPS as you are more precise with a mouse than a thumb stick. There are also Xbox and PS controllers that can be used on the computer.

I can't speak for the PSN, but compared to Xbox Live, PC multiplayer are more likely to have dedicated servers. This is great if you want to be part of a clan or just found a great server with a good mod and people you enjoy playing with.

The last thing I like about the PC multiplayer is that PC gaming is more open to the mod community. Console gaming is generally a closed system so you only get new material by the developer of the game (which you usually have to buy using points). PC gamers may have more access to user made maps, different modes, and other goodies that the console's won't get. Also, to your specific comments on patches, Xbox gets those 2, but generally they just download to your system when you start a game.

Lastly, it's common that you PC/Mac has better graphic capabilities than consoles, assuming it's not a game that has been ported to the computer.

For multiplayer experiences on console, there are good things as well. Consoles were just designed for multiplayer. It's usually quite easy to get connected. Both consoles come with headsets which helps. Lag is lag, it's pretty much the same as PC multiplayer.

Another pro in my opinion to console mulitplayer is that it is a lot harder for people to cheat on console. I don't know how prevalent it is in PC, but I do here stories about aim bots and cheater programs in PC gaming, but it's much less common in console gaming, imo

Lastly, a counter to the better graphics on the PC, console gaming puts everyone you play against on equal footing. Everyone's using the same controller and the same hardware. Besides internet connection, there isn't any technological advantage to be gained in console gaming

Hope this helps
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #79
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks again for all the helpful advice everyone. I pretty much racked my brain throughout December trying to decide on one. At first I was leaning toward the Xbox 360, then I was pretty sure I would get a Playstation 3 and then I went back to the Xbox 360 and ended up picking up the holiday bundle on Boxing day.

In my mind there wasn't much difference between the two systems. Most of the games that I really want to play are cross platform and both seem to have good exclusives, but none that jumped out at me. What sold me on the Xbox was more of my friends have it, one friend who has both buys games for the Xbox over the Playstation, better multiplayer and the potential of Kinect. I am sure I would have been happy with either system, but the Xbox just edged the Playstation for me.

The holiday bundle came with Forza 3, which is not bad and Alan Wake is a pretty good game. I've also picked up Batman: Arcane Asylum, but I probably won't play that until I'm done with Alan Wake. I've also noticed that the new design is much quieter than the old one and everything so far has worked great so far.

So where does everyone buy their games? There is some older games that I wouldn't mind playing and they are much cheaper than new ones. I was looking at gamestop's website and they sell lots of pre-owned games. But sometimes they are only $5 cheaper, is it worth it spending more for the new one? Have you guys had good luck with used games?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #80
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

You will love Batman: Arkham Ayslum. That was one of my favorite games to play, ever. Can't wait for the sequel.

I used to buy all of my used games at Gamestop/EB Games, but I have noticed that they have the highest priced used games. Sometimes you can get a deal there on some older titles, but for comparison Red Dead Redemption was $44.99 used @ BestBuy in November while being $54.99 @ EB Games. Thankfully Red Deer is small enough and most of the major game outlets are all on the same end of the city and within a few blocks of each other...combine that with most stores advertising their 'used' prices online I can shop around very conveniently. I should also mention that the copy of RDR I bought was in pristine condition, but missing the included poster and fold out map. Disc was flawless on a game released about 5 months earlier. Blockbuster also has used games for sale, at competitive prices.

If it is a coveted title or a special edition, I would suggest buying new in order to get all the limited edition stuff that comes with them. Otherwise, save a bit of cash if all you want is the game itself.

To add to the discussion, does anyone know where the best place to trade games in is now? Like, where will you get the most value?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:

Tags
console , playstation 3 , video games , xbox 360