Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Puppy with Parvovirus

Okay, where to begin. We got a new puppy last Saturday from a breeder outside of Jasper. She is a golden retriever and became apart of the family right away. I have two kids who were dying to get a dog after our 13 year old family dog passed away last year.

The breeder had taken the litter for vaccines and microchips a few days before we got the puppy and all seemed well for the first two days. On the third day, not 72 hours after having her she became lethargic and started vomiting so we took her into the emergency vet where she tested positive for parvo.

Although we caught it early she is not doing well and for those that have had to keep an animal with the vet know that it is insanely expensive. We have informed the breeder who, at this time, said that the other puppies that are still there are not showing any symptoms. Reading about the incubation period there is no way she contracted it with us. We were not around any dogs so I am trying to make sense of this.

I guess I am just looking for any advice on treatment and perhaps what to do with the breeder. At this point there has been no conversation about compensation as we are giving her an opportunity to do the right thing but I think she will just deny it, especially if her other dogs are fine (which I am not sure I believe). I'd appreciate any advice. My kids and wife are heartbroken and the financial burden is very difficult to justify at this time.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unfortunately, I don't have a suggestion for you but just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're going through that.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have your bases covered with the facts. I would start by getting a cost estimate from the vet and then take that to the breeder and ask for some participation in these costs. Ensure you communicate clearly the incubation information that you have discovered.

I hope they are compassionate and offer to contribute in some way. Most of all I hope your pup pulls thru. Goldens are amazing dogs and companions. We have 2 of them and cant imagine our lives without them.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #4
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does the purchase agreement say?

This is your contract. This is what they will be bound by in a court of law/claims court

Having purchased many dogs from breeders usually there is a clause to have your own vet check the dog within X days and some sort of health guarantee.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like my wife who was responsible for the purchase didn't get one. Looks like we may be SOL.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

it all sucks, I effing hate dog breeders, I hate what dogs have become because of the whole shysty industry.

I spent a couple of years keeping an eye on my local pounds until the right 3 year old jack russel mutt turned up which I adopted 12 or so years ago, strong as an ox never needed a vet in his life and could cut a rat in two faster than you could say 'get it', if you end up needing to replace the little fella dont get hung up on getting a puppy or a pure bred, think about a rescue
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Looks like my wife who was responsible for the purchase didn't get one. Looks like we may be SOL.
That’s weird in general . You got no paperwork with the purchase ?

Check the website for any implied guarantees

I have no idea what the law in Alberta says about contractless animal purchases. But they must have something ! Time to start the google train
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is such a wide range of breeders. One who doesn't give any paperwork sounds shady and unlikely to give you much help, unfortunately.

Parvo is super contagious though and your dog doesn't need to be around another dog to catch it. If you go to a dog park, or somewhere that an infected dog was previously, your dog could get it.

I hope things turn around for your pup. It is very expensive to treat, unfortunately, partly because of how contagious it is (and the isolation requirements needed) and partly because it is such a severe disease.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #9
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can see how this could happen (lack of receipt). One of our Goldens came from a non traditional "breeder". Essentially a person who had a couple Goldens and decided to give it a shot.

We didnt even think about receipts, etc at the time.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #10
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
There is such a wide range of breeders. One who doesn't give any paperwork sounds shady and unlikely to give you much help, unfortunately.

Parvo is super contagious though and your dog doesn't need to be around another dog to catch it. If you go to a dog park, or somewhere that an infected dog was previously, your dog could get it.

I hope things turn around for your pup. It is very expensive to treat, unfortunately, partly because of how contagious it is (and the isolation requirements needed) and partly because it is such a severe disease.
We never left our house as we had her for only 72 hours.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:23 PM   #11
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

dp

Last edited by red sky; 01-21-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #12
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My SOL language may have been too strong. I think we have a case and just hope the breeder steps up and does the right thing.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #13
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We never left our house as we had her for only 72 hours.

Thanks for the kind words.
Yeah, that definitely sounds like she already had it. Hope she pulls through. Parvo is an awful disease. :-(
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:24 AM   #14
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
My SOL language may have been too strong. I think we have a case and just hope the breeder steps up and does the right thing.
Good luck with that. Seriously.
You're dealing with a puppy mill, the used car salesmen of the pet world.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:11 AM   #15
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Various US states have puppy lemon laws to prevent this sort of thing. In Alberta, I believe it's mostly based on the contract associated with the purchase. Even with no contract, you might have a case in small claims. The implied warranty of merchantability may apply, since puppies are usually classified as "goods"
In fact, sometimes breeders have the customers sign waivers to release them from this warranty. The enforceability of these agreements are sometimes contentious.

Alberta has the Sale of Goods Act (see RSA 1980 cS-2 s17). You might have an argument if you relied on the seller's judgment or description.

But it would be easier if the breeder just agreed to settle in some manner.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #16
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a way for you to figure out who else the other puppies were sold to? Based on the timeline of it being acquired from the breeder others should be in the same situation as you.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #17
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just to give a quick update on this. I will avoid where I am at with the breeder at the moment as this is a public forum but we couldn't keep pup at the vet anymore because the cost was just too much. At this point we wanted to give her a chance to live, even if it was 50-50, as it would be zero if were to euthanize her.

Fortunately on the Saturday she was starting to improve, albeit slightly, and at this time she seems to be on the mend. We are not out of the woods yet but it is good to have her back home where we can shower her with love and care. Fingers crossed that she can fully recover from this. Parvo is just brutal and the last week has been really stressful on our family. Thanks for the advice and kind thoughts.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #18
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah this sucks hope you guys pull through. I know it often is an oversight or people think it's a scam but I am big supporter of pet insurance. We have used trupanion and had a ton of issues with our dog. They've saved us in the range of 10 to 12 thousand so far in vet bills.
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #19
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cznTiburon View Post
Ah this sucks hope you guys pull through. I know it often is an oversight or people think it's a scam but I am big supporter of pet insurance. We have used trupanion and had a ton of issues with our dog. They've saved us in the range of 10 to 12 thousand so far in vet bills.
We have Trupanion for our golden - it saved us $500 to remove an abscess from her back a few years ago.

It’s not cheap, and it’s not perfect, but it’s worth it to never worry about money being the reason the dog lives or dies.

I’m very glad your pup is doing alright. Parvo is no joke.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #20
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What does Trupanion cost per month if you don't mind me asking?