Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #761
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Crazy race.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #762
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well that was a mess. An interesting track that could have produced some interesting racing and Lewis just drives off again. That must be so frustrating for Bottas, he's probably about ready to lose his marbles.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #763
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

A Canadian is currently 4th in the driver standings. That’s cool.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #764
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’ve been harping on the idiotic safety car rules for years. This whole lead driver can do whatever he wants is total ####ing BS. It’s unfair and dangerous.

Hopefully this will be the catalyst for change.
I watched the start again. Leaning towards blaming Leclerc. He was pretty far back from Hamilton, when he went the rest of the pack went too and then he slowed because he went before Bottas. Constatina effect got worse towards the back end of the pack, then the demo derby was on.

The regulations need to be changed. Something like what NASCAR does; maintain pace car speed and fire at any point in the restart zone or when the leader reaches the end of the restart zone and the green light is displayed.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #765
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Funny enough I just saw this happen in Indy about a month ago on an oval. One guy jumped the gun and a big pileup ensued on the restart.

But I like that nascar idea.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #766
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oh and don’t buy F1TV. It’s a terrible product and borderline scam.

I upgraded my account to Pro hoping they’d fixed all the previous quality issues I’ve read about online since it’s launch and since we now get Pro in Canada. Worth a try, I use the archive often enough with my Access subscription. Anyways F1TV app or site didn’t sync my Apple purchase for Pro. When I emailed their customer service asking them to fix my account and make it Pro, as that’s what I’m paying for, they proceeded to cut off my F1TV Access subscription (which up to that point still worked but should have been Pro), refused to honour the Pro subscription I bought and refused me a refund.

I reported them to Apple for scamming customers. I should have trusted reddit which has been saying it’s a trash product for two years.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-13-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #767
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had F1TV this whole year since I don't have Sky in my cable package, I have had no problem except last week when there was some bandwidth issue, but I don't know who to blame for that.

I brought my chromecast from home and am able to watch on the big screen, I think it's worth the money. I haven't tried Pro though, what's the difference?

Oh, unrelated question, what's a good photo hosting site, photobucket doesn't work anymore without a sub.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #768
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Oh, unrelated question, what's a good photo hosting site, photobucket doesn't work anymore without a sub.
I just use imgur now
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 10:53 PM   #769
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’ve been harping on the idiotic safety car rules for years. This whole lead driver can do whatever he wants is total ####ing BS. It’s unfair and dangerous.

Hopefully this will be the catalyst for change.
It's legalized brake testing. Everytime I see highlights I get more angry.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:01 AM   #770
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The restart line should be before the straight. Having a green light appear, and being on the fastest part of the course is going to have this happen.

While the track itself looks incredible to drive, It's not a great race course. The straight is the only overtake zone, as there are no heavy braking corners anywhere.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #771
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah as soon as I saw it announced I knew it would be a Monaco-lite. great track but not suited for F1, needs smaller cars/smaller grid to work
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #772
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy race, but nowhere as fun as the one previous week. Not much racing, but it’s good to see Raikkonen score his first points of the season. Would have been nice to see Russell have a top 10 finish as well, but Ferrari found themselves with both drivers in the top 10 in their 1000th race.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #773
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright...first off a big FU to Bottas. Just too timid to ever give Hamilton a run. He really needed to sharpen his elbows this season and every time he looks like he can, he doesn't. Or he says give me the opposite strategy to Lewis and then pits first...SERIOUSLY!?!?!. The only time Hamilton has ever been pushed is Rosberg...speaking of which, I highly recommend his YouTube channel. Some great insights into driving the track. He also has some great interviews, especially with Toto Wolff (see below).

The race...wow. The red flags were an issue. But the big crash on the straight is 100% on the midfield drivers IMO. They all got the same track briefings, know the slipstream is powerful, and had to know that Bottas was going to minimize that. They simply wanted to jump each other and that caused what could have been a devastating crash. I dont think anyone brake tested (the data would be very clear).

I'd rather change the stupid red flag rules. NO CHANGES AT ALL!! Force guys to keep the same tires on that they had. Your car is damaged...tough ####.

Anyways...enough of my moaning, lol. Jepworth with the top score this week and 3 right picks, nice work. Arsenal14 and Jayswin are now tied for 2nd with DoubleK and Fuzz tied for 4th. Not the best week for us with Max, Stroll, Sainz, etc all going out.

REMINDER: LE MANS is this weekend!!!

Spoiler!

FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #774
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I don't know if anyone cares but I'm gonna tell you anyway.

Last week I did my school at the ring and it was pretty friggin awesome. I was worried going in cause these 'courses' are usually designed for people who don't even understand how a clutch pedal works, and when I got there the group looked pretty much like that. However, the school did a great job of making sure everyone got a good experience and pushed to their own limits, without holding up anyone who was faster.

The instructor lead groups of 6 in two 20 min sessions and they would let everyone have a turn behind the lead, then pull them aside to let the faster cars through. The instructor was on the radio the whole time talking you through your laps when you were behind him all in german so I never knew what was going on with anyone else.

I got english so it was kind of cool cause i knew right away i was the subject if I could understand the chatter. In both sessions I was the last car up to the instructor and by that point he knew I wanted to go fast (because I would drop way back in the slow section each lap to get a full on run in down to dunlop and up the ess) and both times I got some really good laps in.

The cars were old F4 cars, apparently Seb raced in them back in the day. 1200cc engines, sequential gears, way too much tire but still managed to get them a bit loose in the ess. Loved the feel of the open wheel and laying way back. It was so comfy for a race car and the pedals were easy to manage even though they were practically touching and had about 1/2 in travel.

Anyway after all that I was leaving the track and one of the taxi ride companies was set up so I blew the dust off my wallet and took a ride around the Nordshliefe in a GT3RS. I can't even describe how viceral that was. The car is a monster and the track is so rough and raw. We were running a 7.30 pace but had two incidents to go around so it killed the lap. The video doesn't convey just how narrow the track is, and how blind some of those corners are.

I'm still trying to edit the race school video but here's the in car from the Porsche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovUS...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by speede5; 09-14-2020 at 11:55 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #775
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

And a little something to sweeten the prize pot.

Last edited by speede5; 09-14-2020 at 11:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #776
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

On the contrary I think your video did do the track justice. I was just imagining myself in that seat, looks like an absolute blast!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #777
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all kinds of jealous. That looks awesome.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #778
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Cool!
Old 09-14-2020, 09:42 PM   #779
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh man, that looked so awesome!! I'd have to cut up my credit card to not do that for about 15 laps. Very cool and thanks for sharing.

What track did you do the F4 on? Did they shut the Ring down for open wheelers??
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #780
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes it was pretty awesome, I've rewatched the video a couple times and giggled. No fear of doing it again though, the budget really didn't include the ride but I knew I had to scratch it off the bucket list.

For the school they had a section cordoned off starting above turn 3 and just past turn 7. On this map you can see where we cut across the track, I'll eventually post a video and you'll see why they called it 'Little monaco'. So we basically ran down the hill towards 5 and up to 7. For those little cars it was more than enough to get a feel and run them close to the edge, although the track is a bit large for them and it was hard to get in too much trouble. I did almost dump it once at the top of 7 when i downshifted a bit too aggressively, but in the corners there was lots of grip.

They run a few different schools in different sectors of the course.

For the Nordschliefe they were doing the taxi rides and tourist drives (people with their own cars paying by the lap to go drive the course) so it was completely segregated from the new F1 course. 25 euro per lap plus any damages you do to the track and tow fees if they have to remove you. Also if you get into it with another driver one of you has to pay damages to the other, and there's actually some insurance policies that cover it, and if you can't agree the cops will be called and it will be treated as a traffic accident!

My rental car policy wont allow me to take it on track which is probably a good thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post: