Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #3301
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think itís adequate relative to price. You will always have a good meal but there are far more interesting options at the price point.

For example Keg vs Workshop (RIP)
Sure, but if I want a good steak they usually have good cuts and experienced cooks. Relative to the price. I'm not going to Ruth's Chris every week or anything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

I Take my Pangolin-Steaks Medium Rare! No Lower!
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #3302
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Love the Keg.

Also, can't let you guys dog BP's without standing up for it. First of all, their lunch special is outstanding. Bunch of great options for $10. I go with a pizza with three toppings and ceasar salad. $10 for that? It's so much better than almost anything else for the same money.

Also, their ceasar salads are super good. Meteor pizza is great. Kids meals are good and you can get veggies as a side instead of fries. I get that people hate it, but everything I have there every time is really good. Now if they'd just bring back the team pitchers with that hollow sleeve they used to fill with ice.
It's also owned by Trelivings, and we do happen to be fans of a team who employs a Treliving at GM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #3303
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I've never really been on board with Montana's. And I'm one of them troglodytes who genuinely loves BP's too.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #3304
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
BP's is not cheap.
Compared to what?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #3305
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The whole talk of price point is stupid anyways. Most expensive thing on the menu? Cheapest? For two? For four? With kids? From the daily special or lunch menu? Where are you located? Last time I checked the suburbs aren’t exactly thriving with local eateries. Are people drinking alcohol? Are there appetizers? Is this a weekly thing? Monthly?

There’s nothing more obnoxious than people who think everyone in society should share their tastes in food and everyone else is a ghetto ass pleb if they dare as eat at lesser establishments.

Except when I do it. I won’t eat anything not prepared by Bobby Flay. The version you see on tv is a life model decoy. He’s actually chained up in my basement Parasite style.

I laugh when you lower class people talk of your fancy Calgary restaurants. Lol. I wouldn’t let my dog eat that garbage you people call fine dining.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #3306
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Compared to what?
I could get a burger from Flipp'n Burger, Jane Bond, or Modern Burger for less than one at BPs.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #3307
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
The whole talk of price point is stupid anyways. Most expensive thing on the menu? Cheapest? For two? For four? With kids? From the daily special or lunch menu? Where are you located? Last time I checked the suburbs arenít exactly thriving with local eateries. Are people drinking alcohol? Are there appetizers? Is this a weekly thing? Monthly?

Thereís nothing more obnoxious than people who think everyone in society should share their tastes in food and everyone else is a ghetto ass pleb if they dare as eat at lesser establishments.

Except when I do it. I wonít eat anything not prepared by Bobby Flay. The version you see on tv is a life model decoy. Heís actually chained up in my basement Parasite style.

I laugh when you lower class people talk of your fancy Calgary restaurants. Lol. I wouldnít let my dog eat that garbage you people call fine dining.
Dude, price doesn't enter into it. It's that Montana's sucks - it's not a class thing. I think Popeye's chicken sandwich is better than the chicken at Smugglers. I'm not above cheap food. Friggen Edo is one of my go-to places.

Montana's has terrible food and it's not even cheap. I've been there twice and was horrified at the brutal value both times. If anything, it's the big spenders that I can picture eating there because it is one of the worst value propositions for food in the whole city. I'm not rich enough to be wasting my money on that garbage.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #3308
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
BP is worth it just for the spicy Pyrogy pizza. I love that pizza.
This is the only edible thing on that menu and by #### it is EDIBLE!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #3309
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Dude, price doesn't enter into it. It's that Montana's sucks - it's not a class thing. I think Popeye's chicken sandwich is better than the chicken at Smugglers. I'm not above cheap food. Friggen Edo is one of my go-to places.

Montana's has terrible food and it's not even cheap. I've been there twice and was horrified at the brutal value both times. If anything, it's the big spenders that I can picture eating there because it is one of the worst value propositions for food in the whole city. I'm not rich enough to be wasting my money on that garbage.
Every time someone mentions Smugglers I think the same thing.........How the #### is that ####hole still in business.

Talk about horrible, blech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #3310
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

UCB having a bit of a day, I guess.

Hangover RGMG. Christ.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #3311
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
UCB having a bit of a day, I guess.

Hangover RGMG. Christ.
Actually I had a bunch of calls to make so I went for a 2 hr walk and crushed them.

Have a call at 4:30, so gonna coast till then.

The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #3312
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The whole talk of price point is stupid anyways. Most expensive thing on the menu? Cheapest? For two? For four? With kids? From the daily special or lunch menu? Where are you located? Last time I checked the suburbs arenít exactly thriving with local eateries. Are people drinking alcohol? Are there appetizers? Is this a weekly thing? Monthly?

Thereís nothing more obnoxious than people who think everyone in society should share their tastes in food and everyone else is a ghetto ass pleb if they dare as eat at lesser establishments.

Except when I do it. I wonít eat anything not prepared by Bobby Flay. The version you see on tv is a life model decoy. Heís actually chained up in my basement Parasite style.

I laugh when you lower class people talk of your fancy Calgary restaurants. Lol. I wouldnít let my dog eat that garbage you people call fine dining.
Iíd agree with this except for Boston Pizza. That place is garbage. Unless you are there with a team or other multi family type event. Then they kick ass at the logistics of dealing with large groups, multiple bills and people on the same bill sitting a different tables.

If you arenít in one of the above mentioned groups you deserve to be hit with a flying slice of pizza from one of the aforementioned groups.

As a note based on all your criteria BP still sucks.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #3313
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Unless you are there with a team or other multi family type event. Then they kick ass at the logistics of dealing with large groups, multiple bills and people on the same bill sitting a different tables.

If you arenít in one of the above mentioned groups you deserve to be hit with a flying slice of pizza from one of the aforementioned groups.

As a note based on all your criteria BP still sucks.
I have never had a BP team meal go smoothly always a gong show, and this covers off BP's from Whitecourt to Wainwright

The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 03:07 PM   #3314
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really count myself very lucky that I have never had to go through a BP team meal ever in my life.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:14 PM   #3315
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A burger from Fatburger is better than BP and it's cheaper. Maybe I'm just ghetto.
CroFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:14 PM   #3316
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Every time someone mentions Smugglers I think the same thing.........How the #### is that ####hole still in business.

Talk about horrible, blech
Smugglers is gone a couple years actually I believe. The place on MacLeod right?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #3317
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I'm too lazy too look but I'd guess that for a family of 4, eating at Montana's or BP's is quite a bit cheaper than The Keg or Joeys or Earls.

Also, I doubt most people are ordering the top tier menu items (steak) at places like BPs/Montanas.

If I'm eating at one of these places it is for a burger or some other simple dish. BPs most likely pizza (which can be pricy when not on special) but they have other menu items for dirt cheap.

I've noticed that many places, like Cactus Club, even a run of the mill burger that isn't far different in quality from BPs or Montana's, but runs about $20-25. That's too much for the quality.
As others are saying, it's not that Montana's or BP's are expensive, they're just expensive for what you get. Same with Earls and Joeys. The quality is a step up and the price is up to match, but you're still getting a ####ty deal for the quality.

You look at the Pizza, for example. Around that $28 mark for a 15" pepperoni, their cheapest pizza.

That's right around the same price as premium local pizza spots like Nikos ($28 - 14"), Connie and Johns ($29 - 16"), Noble Pie ($29 - 18"), etc. And in most cases, you're getting a bigger pizza with better ingredients.

We talking burgers at Montana's? $17. Cool, off the top of my head you can get a burger and fries for cheaper at Clive or Boogies (~$15 at either place depending on what you get), which kick Montana's in the teeth.

So it's not that BP's or Montana's are necessarily "expensive," they're just too expensive for the quality they're putting out. No different than Earl's or Joey's in that regard.

You can pretend it's ragging on poor tasteless plebs if you want. But I'm gonna go ahead and spend less money on better food made by a Calgary business instead of a chain. If I'm about to spend $17 on a burger and fries, I'm going to go get a good burger and good fries for it. If I want to spend less and am ok with lesser quality, I'll just get fast food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Slaps means good? Asking for an older friend.
Yeah, slaps = good. Keg is dope.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #3318
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Smugglers is gone a couple years actually I believe. The place on MacLeod right?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #3319
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
As others are saying, it's not that Montana's or BP's are expensive, they're just expensive for what you get. Same with Earls and Joeys. The quality is a step up and the price is up to match, but you're still getting a ####ty deal for the quality.

You look at the Pizza, for example. Around that $28 mark for a 15" pepperoni, their cheapest pizza.

That's right around the same price as premium local pizza spots like Nikos ($28 - 14"), Connie and Johns ($29 - 16"), Noble Pie ($29 - 18"), etc. And in most cases, you're getting a bigger pizza with better ingredients.

We talking burgers at Montana's? $17. Cool, off the top of my head you can get a burger and fries for cheaper at Clive or Boogies (~$15 at either place depending on what you get), which kick Montana's in the teeth.

So it's not that BP's or Montana's are necessarily "expensive," they're just too expensive for the quality they're putting out. No different than Earl's or Joey's in that regard.

You can pretend it's ragging on poor tasteless plebs if you want. But I'm gonna go ahead and spend less money on better food made by a Calgary business instead of a chain. If I'm about to spend $17 on a burger and fries, I'm going to go get a good burger and good fries for it. If I want to spend less and am ok with lesser quality, I'll just get fast food.

Yeah, slaps = good. Keg is dope.
Does dope mean good? Asking for Troutman.
CroFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #3320
Cappy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I grew up in a small town. We had a Boston Pizza growing up and that was it. It was honestly awesome.

Whether tastes have changed, or i have become snobby with more variety, it is certainly not as good as i remember. I think the prices increased, the portions changed, and the ingredients got cheaper.

I used to travel a lot to small towns for work. Most of these places would have a Boston Pizza, and a couple independent restaurants. The indies were always better, but definitely were not as busy.

Brand recognition is important to a business like BP/Montana's. People want certainty, regardless of how blah the product is, they know what they are getting.

I remember living in Grande Prairie during the boom when transients were at an all time high. These guys weren't going to the great independent greek restaurant there; it was Mr. Mikes, Canadian Brewhouse and those overpriced mediocre places.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote