Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #1101
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I was being facetious, because the words Scorpio and Scarlett are so similar.

Much closer than One and Series
The problem isn't that "One" and "Series" sound too close. It's that they're both between "Xbox" and "X" or "S". It's easy to get both mixed up if you aren't a serious gamer. Even I find myself having to have a double take a lot to make sure whether I'm readying about the One X or the Series X.

You can look it up to make sure but you shouldn't have to. My parents without ever having to look it up know that the PS5 is the new Playstation. They don't know what the new Xbox is. They knew the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One was the new Xbox at the time.

"Scorpio" and "Scarlett" are one word. One is an astrology sign and the other is a female name or you can associate it to the color even though it's spelled different. It's much easier differentiate even though both start with "Sc".

Last edited by Inferno; 12-05-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #1102
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripTDR View Post
Just picked up a series X. TV does 4K @ 60hz. Can see a noticeable difference over the One. Everything is nice and buttery smooth, really enjoying some of the older titles. SSX 3 was one of my favourites and looks great on the Series X. Will be getting quite a bit of time off for Xmas plus a operation in the new year that will put me out. All this plus covid is giving me a good reason to get my game on!

Question...is it worth it to upgrade my tv to 120hz? I guess it will only take advantage of the games that will support it, but can anyone confirm it's worth it?
Try to get vrr if you can. Apparently it will be one of the next big things.

Ssx and burnout are amazing for me right now. Forza horizon 4 is really smooth.

A few pages ago in this thread I posted that the fast load/quick resume was nice quality of life but not that big a deal for me personally. I was wrong. I now just fire the Xbox up and away I go. I’m seriously impressed with how fast I can be playing a game.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #1103
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Is it still possible to buy a new XBox One? I bought Forza Horizon 4 at Best Buy but can't find anywhere to buy a console. I've seen some used ones on Kijiji, some for more than I thought they were when new.

I realize I could play it on the Xbox Series X but that's even more expensive and from what I can tell won't be on shelves until the new year.
Buy a used One X, you can get one for $200-$250 and that is a steal IMO
Old 12-05-2020, 11:47 PM   #1104
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd sell my One S for a reasonable offer.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #1105
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to find the official Sony produced charging station for the PS5 controllers. Sold out everywhere. Guess they didn't make very many.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #1106
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Terrible example, Gamecube was never available at the same time as the Switch. Should have went with the Nintendo 3DS to the New 3DS stuff.

I understand exactly what you are all saying. I am sure it hinders Microsoft's sales sightly when a parent goes online, googles "New Xbox" and sees Xbox Series S/X, when that very same parent can google "New Playstation" and see Playstation 5.

When they go to order or buy the Series X and see a One X and think....hmm this has got to be the same thing but cheaper, even though they are different by name. I better get the One X as this is definitely the info I found when I googled "New Xbox" and google told me "Xbox Series S/X".

It must be confusing for the average consumer, that literally does zero research and goes in blindly buying products. I am also sure the whole online only ordering system has really hindered the average consumer. They can't walk in to a store and be like. I want the new "insert console here" and have a salesperson take them directly to said console for purchase or answer any and all questions they have.

When my sisters, Mom, Dad asks for a specific coat, tool, make up or some random #### I have no idea what it is. I research and make sure I am purchasing the correct, expected gift.

Yes, MS is not doing the regular lazy ass consumer any help while Playstation does, as it is very important to Sony. Much more important to Sony than Xbox is to MS.
Any marketing strategy that pins itself on praying customers do oodles of research is a horrible one.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #1107
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Any marketing strategy that pins itself on praying customers do oodles of research is a horrible one.
One Google search <> oodles of research
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #1108
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

My friends PS5 died last night, apparently it started with some freezing and locking up over a couple days and now it tries to power on and just shuts down. He had his laying horizontal on an open wall shelf but I find you really need back clearance as this is where the heat pumps out.

I moved my PS5 after playing and the screw holding the stand vertical was hot enough I couldn't touch it. Might need some 3rd party or even 1st party AIO cooler solutions for it in the future.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #1109
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
My friends PS5 died last night, apparently it started with some freezing and locking up over a couple days and now it tries to power on and just shuts down. He had his laying horizontal on an open wall shelf but I find you really need back clearance as this is where the heat pumps out.

I moved my PS5 after playing and the screw holding the stand vertical was hot enough I couldn't touch it. Might need some 3rd party or even 1st party AIO cooler solutions for it in the future.
Gamers Nexus YT channel ran temp probes directly onto the CPU, GPU and Memory and I believe the memory was registering above 90 degrees Celsius.

I have noticed that my PS5 runs quite hot.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #1110
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a problem last night where my PS5 would beep when I tried turning it on and the controller would flash but nothing would turn on so I had to press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. It seemed to be a rest mode problem.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #1111
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

On his the blue light on the PS5 turns on then shuts off, nothing has worked.

I've got a t least 200hrs on my PS5 and some long sessions like controllers dying and using the second controller long and no real issues. I did have some graphic freezing yesterday that was weird I usually run in a colder room but with the temps these days and my AC turned off the room was getting hot so might be related. I need to look into custom cooling more I think, watching the Gamer Nexus video right now.

Edit: EBgames is swapping his out today, i'm curious how they are doing that when they don't have any? hmmm lol

edit edit: apparently West Edmonton Mall EB got some in today

Last edited by Raekwon; 12-07-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #1112
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

My PS5 gets extremely hot. The hottest console I can remember. It hasn't shut down or anything so no issues but the fan is always on and I think I got the noisier B fan. I've generally had good luck with Sony consoles but I'm not sure about the longevity of this one.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #1113
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as it is exhausting the heat, then I wouldn't be too concerned (although the added fan noise isn't exactly desirable). But the memory temperatures per Gamers Nexus are concerning for longevity, yeah.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #1114
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post

Was he playing the latest COD game? I heard that game was bricking some Xbox Series X and PS5.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #1115
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

XXX back once again.

https://www.xbox.com/en-ca/configure...stlekc6w1xjl00
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #1116
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Was he playing the latest COD game? I heard that game was bricking some Xbox Series X and PS5.
When it happened . . . . No Mans Sky but he does play Cold War
Old 12-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #1117
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

More XXX

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/xbox...x/apd/ab434739
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #1118
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also use "$15OFF$199+" and ebates for even more savings. The XXX is still in stock.

Finally out of stock, nearly a full hour even with the discounts.

Last edited by chemgear; 12-08-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #1119
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any luck finding PS5 lately?
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #1120
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
One Google search <> oodles of research
Fair, but really it should be 0 google searches and just don’t pick ridiculous names.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote