Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some of the bad ones by the City, there are some good ones too:

Old 08-03-2017, 11:57 PM   #22
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved most of the public art we have here in Vancouver; the laughing men by English Bay, the East Van sign, The Golden Tree by Douglas Coupland.

Why is Calgary getting this so wrong? The blue ring is laughably bad and every time I fly back to Calgary, it's one of the first things you see leaving the airport.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #23
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Replace the rocks with gas cauldrons and light em up! Be a lot better that what we got.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:03 AM   #24
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Would probably be better for the city to fund the art college actually in the city.
Yeah, or that. You could restrict the endowment recipients to Calgary residents either way.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #25
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to defend this piece but a great tweet I saw last night was along these lines:

"My travel photos are of art, both good and bad. Not photos of the roads."
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #26
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
First time I saw this, I actually had to stop and read it for a while. Mostly because it was advertising the need for a blacksmith. Turns out they were running a string of Calgary Herald headlines from like 1895.

As far as the new installation at Bowfort Road goes, ugly as sin. Much like the crap at Memorial and 10th, I just don't get the fascination with rust. It looks like leftover garbage that they were too lazy to dispose of.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #27
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree....with ........Sean Chu?

Hurts to say. But man - that is one terribly conceived piece of art. I am all for rusty pieces, or pieces that need to be understood to be appreciated. But that is just a rubbish (literal & figurative) selection for a highway.

I shall title it "Sticks and Stones may break my bones - when I hit it at 110 on the Transcanada"
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #28
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll wait until I drive by to see it but in principle I like the program to fund public art. I wish they didn't restrict it so much to be so local to the project. A large piece that you could interact with wiThin the paskapoo slopes development would be a better place.

It seems that integrating Art with an interchange outside of the glenmore fish is quite difficult.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #29
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I personally think the public arts program is a pretty valuable counterbalance to the city's years of unchecked growth & sprawl during boom times. Otherwise we might be subjected to little more than drab areas of grey concrete slabs.

I think this is particularly apparent when you see the decorative elements (such as the jumping fish along Glenmore Trail) on our major thoroughfares. Details like these go a long way to making for a more "beautiful" city, and is money well spent in my opinion.

Now is every piece a winner? No absolutely not, but it seems we have 2 bad pieces up against a dozen more good pieces that do enrich the public space.

Last edited by Regular_John; 09-18-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I'll wait until I drive by to see it but in principle I like the program to fund public art. I wish they didn't restrict it so much to be so local to the project. A large piece that you could interact with wiThin the paskapoo slopes development would be a better place.

It seems that integrating Art with an interchange outside of the glenmore fish is quite difficult.
Most interchange art is designed to be subtle. i.e.: the granite "Garrison Woods" sign and maple leaf engraving on the new Flanders Avenue bridge.

For some stupid reason though, City Council is fascinated with making ostentatious garbage the first thing visitors see when they enter our city. Though my appreciation for the blue circle is greater today than it was yesterday. It may be a stupid waste of money, but at least it isn't just left over rusted girders.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #31
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm the opposite. I like the rust and the rocks. You may not be able to see the fossils and water ripples from the far lane at 80km/hr. But you'll know it's there. And you can be that guy who knows everything to all your family and friends. How cool is that? I had no idea rundlestone was unique to Alberta. Now everyone I see is going to know.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #32
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'm the opposite. I like the rust and the rocks. You may not be able to see the fossils and water ripples from the far lane at 80km/hr. But you'll know it's there. And you can be that guy who knows everything to all your family and friends. How cool is that? I had no idea rundlestone was unique to Alberta. Now everyone I see is going to know.
Have you actually seen this piece in person? I saw it last week not knowing it was art and I thought it was construction guys screwing around. The problem with this is that when you drive by it (which is how everyone is actually going to view it) it doesn't convey any of that. So while those elements might be great somewhere where people walk up and read a sign, to a motorist on a busy highway it's just clutter.

And no, I have no desire to impress visitors with my knowledge of a half million dollar boondoggle, other than to point out how frivolous we are with our public money.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #33
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Have you actually seen this piece in person? I saw it last week not knowing it was art and I thought it was construction guys screwing around. The problem with this is that when you drive by it (which is how everyone is actually going to view it) it doesn't convey any of that. So while those elements might be great somewhere where people walk up and read a sign, to a motorist on a busy highway it's just clutter.

And no, I have no desire to impress visitors with my knowledge of a half million dollar boondoggle, other than to point out how frivolous we are with our public money.
Yeah it's interesting because I first heard about it on the radio and thought it sounded super cool. Then I saw the photos and thought it was pretty bad. The video made it look a bit better but I can see it looking like a scrappy hunk a garbage. I'm over the 500k. We're idiots and we've been given a check so we're going to do what idiots and their money do.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #34
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Have you actually seen this piece in person? I saw it last week not knowing it was art and I thought it was construction guys screwing around.
Saw it the other day and that was my first thought as well. Construction guys messing around with leftover steel piles and chunks of rock they didn't want to get rid of.

Its better then the blue ring.... but that's not saying much.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #35
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take this guy

Spoiler!

And turn him into this:

Spoiler!

And everyone is happy. It's a great and classic looking piece, and it honors the indigenous history of this area.

I am almost certain the top picture is a Blackfoot Warrior. But you get the idea either way.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You want to turn a native warrior into a white general? Talk about whitewashing!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #37
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
First time I saw this, I actually had to stop and read it for a while. Mostly because it was advertising the need for a blacksmith. Turns out they were running a string of Calgary Herald headlines from like 1895.
It is interesting to see the kinds of things people actually read 100 years ago. I think it's actually pretty clever, interesting and has historical value.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #38
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Most interchange art is designed to be subtle. i.e.: the granite "Garrison Woods" sign and maple leaf engraving on the new Flanders Avenue bridge.

For some stupid reason though, City Council is fascinated with making ostentatious garbage the first thing visitors see when they enter our city. Though my appreciation for the blue circle is greater today than it was yesterday. It may be a stupid waste of money, but at least it isn't just left over rusted girders.
Contrary to popular belief, City Council has nothing to do with selecting art. After the blue ring debacle, the outcry was for more public input, so the selection committee was expanded to include a lot more citizens. That committee picked it, which is puzzling - the renderings must have been a lot more compelling or something.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #39
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You want to turn a native warrior into a white general? Talk about whitewashing!
Not sure if serious. But I'll clarify because of the day and age we live in.

Make an awesome looking equestrian statue of a Blackfoot warrior. It would be extra cool if the horse was rearing up and you could see the silhouette of the figure against the backdrop of the Rockies as the sun sets in the west.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #40
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Art that needs that much explanation should be in / near an art gallery, not along the highway. Overpass / freeway art should be bit more self-explanatory...or at least super cool.

And the whole explanation around Blackfoot symbolism because there are four towers and the Blackfoot have some four-related cultural things is so thin as to be almost laughable.