Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #1541
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
I just flew YYC- Narita on Air Canada last Thursday. It was fantastic: a 1/3 full 787. I had the whole row to myself.

Also, for future reference if you're flying through terminal 3 at Narita, eat BEFORE you go through security.
You managed to get your own row on that flight? That's crazy, every time I fly it it's always booked up full (or appears to be).

1/3 full is not a good sign though, I hope that doesn't persist. A direct flight to Japan is a god-send for travelers frequently bound for Asia and not wanting to stay on a plane for longer than 9 hours.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #1542
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I posted before, you can always have the odd outlier flight that is empty. When we flew JetBlue Orlando-Havana in March the flight was empty. An A321 with maybe 20 of us on board. Flight attendants told me the flight is usually full. Sure enough flight back to Orlando the plane was packed, not an empty seat to be found.

AC has stuck with the route since launch and increased frequencies both in summer and winter. If they keep business class booked that helps a lot too, plus cargo money. Loads don't always tell the tale that keeps the route around, yield is what counts.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #1543
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except they only do the 787 on AC9 in the summer ... bastards.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #1544
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
You managed to get your own row on that flight? That's crazy, every time I fly it it's always booked up full (or appears to be).

1/3 full is not a good sign though, I hope that doesn't persist. A direct flight to Japan is a god-send for travelers frequently bound for Asia and not wanting to stay on a plane for longer than 9 hours.
About four years ago my wife and I did the Calgary to Narita route and we experienced the same thing - the plane was pretty much empty. It was great because we got to have our own rows. And it was the start of our honeymoon so that was a bonus!
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #1545
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
About four years ago my wife and I did the Calgary to Narita route and we experienced the same thing - the plane was pretty much empty. It was great because we got to have our own rows. And it was the start of our honeymoon so that was a bonus!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #1546
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I didn't check the back of the plane, but in the front of economy, the only people who were sitting next to each other did so because they wanted to. There was enough space for everyone to spread out and grab themselves a row.

Maybe it was because it was a Tuesday?
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #1547
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
I didn't check the back of the plane, but in the front of economy, the only people who were sitting next to each other did so because they wanted to. There was enough space for everyone to spread out and grab themselves a row.

Maybe it was because it was a Tuesday?
I had that happen on a Halifax-Montréal flight a few weeks ago. A320 was practically empty. Of note I was travelling on a Saturday.

My co-worker was on the same flight the next day and it was full. It was also full on the Friday flight back.

Sometimes there will be an empty flight, hopefully that was a one off and not the norm.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #1548
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As in other years Korean Airlines is operating a few charter flights from Seoul to YYC. 3 round trips scheduled. First flight is on its way to us today, KE9075. Viewable on Flightradar24 but does not list a destination airport, currently north of Adak Island. I believe ETA to us is around 1300. Airbus 332 equipment.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #1549
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/KAL9075

FlightAware has a ETA of 1238

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...=Search+Flight

FlightStats has a ETA of 1231
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #1550
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Korean departure from YYC is scheduled for 1500, flight plan to ANC.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #1551
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Things have changed a lot for the Tokyo flight in the last 4 years. Completely different ball game, unlike London and Frankfurt which have lost capacity in recent years.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #1552
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This may not be the best thread to post this question so please bare with me.

Flying off to Europe this week and the airline we are flying (Edelweiss Air) I believe charges for alcoholic beverages. I am just wondering if any small bottles of alcohol purchased past security are able to be consumed in the air? I am talking about the ones that are served on flights.

I don't want sound like a cheapskate but if I can get a 3-4 glasses of wine for dinner for my father and me on the flight for a fraction of the cost ($10 a bottle??) why wouldn't I?

I can't ever recall flying to Europe and having to pay for alcohol.

Thanks
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #1553
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

Flying off to Europe this week and the airline we are flying (Edelweiss Air) I believe charges for alcoholic beverages. I am just wondering if any small bottles of alcohol purchased past security are able to be consumed in the air? I am talking about the ones that are served on flights.

I don't want sound like a cheapskate but if I can get a 3-4 glasses of wine for dinner for my father and me on the flight for a fraction of the cost ($10 a bottle??) why wouldn't I?

Thanks
Technically you're not allowed to consume any alcohol not purchased on the airplane in the air. That's the general rule for all flights going to any destinariom from Canada.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #1554
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's a big no-no. At least on any Canadian carrier, and i assume most carriers. You're booze would get taken away, and depending on how forthright you are it could become a bigger issue.

So I'd recommend against it unless you are absolutely sure that airline allows it.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #1555
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

Thanks
We always hit a liquor store prior to flying if we want to drink on the plane. If you buy the small bottles you can take them through Security no problem. Yes the flight attendants will get upset at you but if I am saving $30 or more I don't really care. If they catch you they will take it away, but nothing else happens.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #1556
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a trans-Atlantic, there are long stretches of no flight attendants being near you. Pretty easy to sneak the drinks.

An astute flight attendant will probably figure it out later, but won't make a big deal out of it unless you become belligerent.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #1557
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If you are really hellbent on drinking without making a fuss, you could always mix a few drinks before you get on the plane. No one's gonna bat an eye if you bring on a bottle of pop.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #1558
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
If you are really hellbent on drinking without making a fuss, you could always mix a few drinks before you get on the plane. No one's gonna bat an eye if you bring on a bottle of pop.
Well you'd still have to buy expensive airport pop and mix it up there, unless you got really small bottles to make it through security.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #1559
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well you'd still have to buy expensive airport pop and mix it up there, unless you got really small bottles to make it through security.
If a person is that cheap then I can't wait to see how they enjoy their vacation.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #1560
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Really? How expensive can pop get. I would suggest if you are worried about the price of a pop you really should just stay home.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc