Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #141
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Exactly what Jayswin said. I could understand if Trump had pulled a total 180 or if his campaign hadn't overtly promoted this type of behaviour from voters but it did. These are exactly the types of issues in the types of voters that he went out of his way to rile up into a frenzy so that they would vote for him based on fear and hatred.

Furthermore the idea that my opinion is lazy or that I'm uneducated on the issues is hilarious. Unless you'd like to provide some sort of explanation as to what secret issues only Americans were privy to.
I didn't say uneducated. You did. As a way to make my argument more extreme or less credible. That's disingenuous and gives me little hope you'll be able to just argue your point.

It's lazy because because if you are in Canada you don't see what Americans had to consider and just say half the county loves trump. That's far from the truth, he was popular amoung people who were watching everything get offshored. As Calgary lost jobs people understood that the oil market gives and takes. In parts of the us they believe (rightly) they watched the Ds creative incentive to move business offshore. Millions are scared for their jobs. While that was going on the globe and mail at one point had 6 stories on its main page either about him feeling up girls or slandering Obama uncontrollably. No less than six, I counted one day, and not a single story about anything else related to the election. So it's tough, there's things people hate about him, but for some it's a question of their livelihood. Meanwhile Hillary is illegally deleting all her records, and the coverage of where she accepts her donations was widely reported in the us, but not in Canada. I hate trump, he's a brutal person and a horrific leader, but by being in the us I can see all the issues that made it a tough vote for many Americans. When your news is the globe or CBC, you don't have a chance to understand.

Last edited by Flames in 07; 08-12-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #142
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
I didn't say uneducated. You did. As a way to make my argument more extreme or less credible. That's disingenuous and gives me little hope you'll be able to just argue your point.

It's lazy because because if you are in Canada you don't see what Americans had to consider and just say half the county loves trump. That's far from the truth, he was popular amoung people who were watching everything get offshored. As Calgary lost jobs people understood that the oil market gives and takes. In parts of the us they believe (rightly) they watched the Ds creative incentive to move business offshore. Millions are scared for their jobs. While that was going on the globe and mail at one point had 6 stories on its main page either about him feeling up girls or slandering Obama uncontrollably. No less than six, I counted one day, and not a single story about anything else related to the election. So it's tough, there's things people hate about him, but for some it's a question of their livelihood. Meanwhile Hillary is illegally deleting all her records, and the coverage of where she accepts her donations was widely reported in the us, but not in Canada. I hate trump, he's a brutal person and a horrific leader, but by being in the us I can see all the issues that made it a tough vote for many Americans. When your news is the globe or CBC, you don't have a chance to understand.
What the hell is this? You know it's 2017 right? To suggest the average Canadian is less inundated with American media and issues than Americans is crazy.

This isn't 1995 where we turn on channel 6 and let the world come to us through the national broadcaster.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #143
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What the hell is this? You know it's 2017 right? To suggest the average Canadian is less inundated with American media and issues than Americans is crazy.

This isn't 1995 where we turn on channel 6 and let the world come to us through the national broadcaster.
You think your day to day exposure to media is the same as an American? I've lived in both countries and what I see day to day is very different.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #144
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
You think your day to day exposure to media is the same as an American? I've lived in both countries and what I see day to day is very different.
Saying our day to day exposure is different is fine and likely correct, what I took issue with was this point here

Quote:
When your news is the globe or CBC, you don't have a chance to understand.
Saying we don't have a chance to understand or that we don't have day to day access (even more than access, we have it shoved down our throats) is pretty silly and not accurate at all.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #145
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh hey, Del Geist posts among us. Cool.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #146
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

This isn't 1995 where we turn on channel 6 and let the world come to us through the national broadcaster
off topic but Im pretty sure Calgary has had cable TV since the late 60's.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #147
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Saying our day to day exposure is different is fine and likely correct, what I took issue with was this point here

Saying we don't have a chance to understand or that we don't have day to day access (even more than access, we have it shoved down our throats) is pretty silly and not accurate at all.
Ok fair enough. An exaggeration. I take that back but when Canadian media is your primary source it is true that it is hard to appreciate what us voters had to consider. I never would have known if I did not live down here.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #148
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Ok fair enough. An exaggeration. I take that back but when Canadian media is your primary source it is true that it is hard to appreciate what us voters had to consider. I never would have known if I did not live down here.
Yep, fair enough and perhaps I'm projecting my own experience in following American politics as the typical Canadian which could be non representative.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #149
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What's wrong with taking an issue with their political views and the protest itself? No one's saying it's illegal in the USA to march in the streets effectively declaring yourself to be an a-hole. I mean, look at the Westboro Baptist Church. There's a difference between saying "to hell with those jerks" and "they should be prevented from saying what they believe in public".

Hell, even if someone took the latter view, that's a public policy position that arguably reflects Canadian Constitutional values per the Supreme Court, so even there, it's not like that'd be completely insane.

Not to fault you for making this sort of pre-emptive defensive statement, but it's kind of unfortunate that you feel you have to.
I am pretty far right on the CP political spectrum. I am ok with people calling me names regarding my views on illegal immigration and needless government spending, but there is no way I want to be associated with David ####ing Duke and the KKK.

There is a difference between being a right leaving person and the #### that is happening south of the mason dixie line.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #150
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
off topic but Im pretty sure Calgary has had cable TV since the late 60's.
For sure, I was just purposely going back to a time that's relatively recent but before internet changed everything.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #151
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Keep this on topic - that is what's going on in VA.

Take your other squabbles to PM or better yet, just stop.
Hey 'member this ^^
Old 08-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #152
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
I followed the 2016 election closely and don't remember any super ugly policies promised by Trump. His immigration platform was to stop illegal immigration (seems logical), better trade deals (whats wrong with that?), suspension of travel from high risk middle eastern countries (same as Obama) to name a few. Were their others that were offensive that I'm forgetting?

Trump does have a polarizing persona, and I can definitely see why some people dislike him, but his policies are fairly logical (to me). I think one of the reasons his administration gives off a perception of being in chaos, is that establishment democrats and republicans beholden to their special interest groups are all hell bent on stopping all of his policies. Just my 2 cents.
As I've asked every Trump supporter who denies that Trump is a racist, please explain birtherism to me. You are aware that Trump has been the most prominent proponent of birtherism, right? Do you also know that Trump never apologized for it? Now explain to me how birtherism is not a racist belief and movement. Just so you know, I've never gotten an explanation. You support a racist. To deny this is just willful ignorance.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #153
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So a vote for Hilary means you support corruption and bribery?
Hunh?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #154
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

why do people keep insisting trump is a racist? he isnt, theres no real evidence of it. he benefits of racism, sure. ill grant that hands down.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #155
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still can't believe you can belong to a white supremacist group, and attend a rally, armed, in a first world country.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #156
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet Jeff Beauregard Sessions is loving this as much as David Duke.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #157
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
why do people keep insisting trump is a racist? he isnt, theres no real evidence of it. he benefits of racism, sure. ill grant that hands down.
Explain birtherism then.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #158
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Hey 'member this ^^
No?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #159
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Maybe it's his refusal to denounce racism, or that whole kicking blacks out of his apartments thing, or was that his racist Father?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #160
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
Explain birtherism then.
Trump likes the headlines and glomed on to soemthign stupid to get his name out. hes also a liar,
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote