Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #221
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, Strangebrew's take that anything can happen is just bizarre considering how the NBA works. Anything can happen if you're a contender and injuries happen to the league's superteam (this year with Raptors).

But even with a much more open league this season you're either a team with a shot or you're not. The Raptors are now not. To equate this year's Raptors with last year's Raptors is crazy. There is a rounding error shot of winning.
Sorry but I didn’t say anything can happen. But don’t you agree the refrain has always been the Raptors don’t have a chance? There were literally dozens of posts to this effect last year.

Are the Raptors longer odds to win the championship than the Flames? I guess I just don’t really get the whole attitude of saying you have no chance at every opportunity, even if it is unlikely you’re going to win.

There are a ton of NBA contenders this year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #222
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

And the Raptors are not close to being one of them. It's how the NBA works, if you're a playoff bubble team or lower this is not the NHL where you could get hot and all of a sudden you've got a chance at a cup.

You're not comparing apples to apples in terms of people speaking to the Raptors chances. Las year their chances were not the best in the league (they were anywhere from 4-5 best to start the year by most accounts), but they were the favourites to get out of the east as they did.

What you're thinking of was people saying they had no chance to win the finals. And if Durant and others didn't get hurt we likely would have been swept or won one game. That's the NBA.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #223
jayswin

Exp:

Basically injuries helped the Raptors go from best team in the east to champions. There is no amount of injuries that are helping the Raptors go from no superstars to contender this season.

Look at past standings and teams that have been hovering around the playoff line for a few seasons....that'll be the Raptors. This is not the NHL.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #224
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raptors probably have no chance to win the championship next year but also, there were a lot of people in this very forum saying that the Raptors had no chance to win the championship this past season right up until the end of the third round!
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #225
jayswin

Exp:

Which was just explained. There is a mountain of difference between being the best in the east and a contender to go to the finals and actually being able to beat the Warriors.

We won because of injuries, I don't think you'll find any rational NBA fan that thinks the Raptors would have a chance against a healthy Warriors. You guys are just talking apples and oranges between last year's Raptors and what's left for next season's Raptors.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #226
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if everything breaks right maybe the Raps can win the East again. Siakam has to take another step forward, OG needs to take a big time jump and everyone else needs to maintain their level or improve, and Masai maybe work a little magic, but I could see it. Much as Kawhi was incredible, he also fell off in the second half of the playoffs and the rest of the team stepped up big time. But that's why they are in a good position, if the right things happen they can take another run at it, and if they don't they are in prime position to accumulate assets.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #227
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think if everything breaks right maybe the Raps can win the East again. Siakam has to take another step forward, OG needs to take a big time jump and everyone else needs to maintain their level or improve, and Masai maybe work a little magic, but I could see it. Much as Kawhi was incredible, he also fell off in the second half of the playoffs and the rest of the team stepped up big time. But that's why they are in a good position, if the right things happen they can take another run at it, and if they don't they are in prime position to accumulate assets.
and it’s not impossible for a scenario where the team that makes it out of the West is destroyed again for the finals.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #228
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the signings this week we're probably going to see an all time defensive team next season that shoots 20-25% from 3 lol.

Chris Boucher doesn't seem to get a lot of chatter but the late bloomer (And reigning G League MVP/DPOY) put in a great summer league debut and is on track to be an impact player at the NBA level. Masai has put a lot of emphasis on players who got into the game late and have shown remarkable improvement year to year, the Raptors will not (at least in my mind) be just another also ran in the upcoming years even having lost Kawhi, the vision of being the NBA's Liverpool isn't totally delusional given the success BWB has been seeing and Masai's connections to international talents
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #229
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
and it’s not impossible for a scenario where the team that makes it out of the West is destroyed again for the finals.
Lol come on now any team missing a top 3 player in the league for the series and one of the best shooters in the game for a few games is not going to be the same team.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #230
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Lol come on now any team missing a top 3 player in the league for the series and one of the best shooters in the game for a few games is not going to be the same team.
I think that's what he was saying. If it happens again then an east team could win again.

I don't believe it's very possible myself with how many great teams there are out west now. Unless those injuries actually happen in the finals a decimated west team wouldn't be able to advance like the Warriors did this year.

And therefore you'll likely have a healthy, elite team representing the west, which in all likelihood is a bloodbath finals.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #231
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Sorry but I didn’t say anything can happen. But don’t you agree the refrain has always been the Raptors don’t have a chance? There were literally dozens of posts to this effect last year.

Are the Raptors longer odds to win the championship than the Flames? I guess I just don’t really get the whole attitude of saying you have no chance at every opportunity, even if it is unlikely you’re going to win.

There are a ton of NBA contenders this year.
Much longer...are you kidding?

The last place team in the NHL Jan1 just won the cup...you don't win in the NBA without a top star, you just don't
Old 07-08-2019, 11:43 PM   #232
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Raptors probably have no chance to win the championship next year but also, there were a lot of people in this very forum saying that the Raptors had no chance to win the championship this past season right up until the end of the third round!
And they barely won it with a top 3 player and the other team decimated...now lose the top three player. Its a totally different scenario now.

some of you are delusional...Raps barely got past round 2 this season with Kawhi and his circus shot to squeak by Philly. Other guys stepped up yes, but it had a lot to do with the other team trying to cover Kawhi. Don't forget about green either.

Last edited by dino7c; 07-08-2019 at 11:49 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #233
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
With the signings this week we're probably going to see an all time defensive team next season that shoots 20-25% from 3 lol.

Chris Boucher doesn't seem to get a lot of chatter but the late bloomer (And reigning G League MVP/DPOY) put in a great summer league debut and is on track to be an impact player at the NBA level. Masai has put a lot of emphasis on players who got into the game late and have shown remarkable improvement year to year, the Raptors will not (at least in my mind) be just another also ran in the upcoming years even having lost Kawhi, the vision of being the NBA's Liverpool isn't totally delusional given the success BWB has been seeing and Masai's connections to international talents
Yeah, I like the approach of loading up on high-level, versatile young defenders, and hoping that you can give them structure, a role, and better coaching than they received earlier in their career, and maybe one or two of them will develop into useful role-players or even a starter.

At worst, these contract sizes they're giving to McCaw, Johnson, and RHJ are really useful dollar amounts for matching purposes in trades. And they'll all be off the books by 2021, which seems to be the offseason that Masai will target.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #234
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is insane. The Nets didn't find out KD was going there until he announced it online!

What if they said, "no we aren't signing your 1 legged ass?" haha
Old 07-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #235
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
This is insane. The Nets didn't find out KD was going there until he announced it online!

Now that would be awesome!

The balance of power in the NBA is way too far tilted in the players side presently.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #236
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Kawhi ultimate signs a 2+1 with the Clippers so he'll be a UFA again in 2021 if he wants, which makes sense for the 10 year vet max.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #237
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

He has to say that, because it’s clear as day that they tampered like crazy.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #238
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean the Clippers might be the only team who didn't tamper considering every big FA was signed within 24 hours of FA starting.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #239
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:

Haha, do you mean "the nets knew exactly what was happening but had to play dumb"?
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #240
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean the Clippers might be the only team who didn't tamper considering every big FA was signed within 24 hours of FA starting.
Uhh, the same Clippers that had a representative at most of all the Raptors home games? The same Clippers who were fined for tampering during the season?

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...i-leonard.html
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post: