Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #101
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I watch it when it’s on. The racing is usually quite good. So much less dominance based on the power unit and car. It’s a budget series compared to F1. It lacks the car tech and glitz and glamour. But it feels like purer racing in some ways. I believe they only use Chevy or Honda power and all have nearly identical chassis’ so you don’t get the constructor dominance.

I’m not a fan of ovals though. I find them boring.

Next race is at COTA so we’ll get to see Indy and F1 race the same track for the first time in a while.

I’ve got a soft spot for Indy because it was my first exposure to Motorsport. I was at the 93 Toronto race when Paul Tracy won. It’s too bad the series suffered so many behind the scenes problems in the 90s and 00s. But i feel like they’ve gone the right direction recently to keep costs low and make the focus on the drivers and racing.
Yep, for me Indy represents racing that is FAR more defined by the quality of the driver than F1. I'll always remember Greg Moore...RIP. My first real racing hero (and Villeneuve). I went to a bunch of Indy's in Vancouver and Edmonton. Even worked for Indy as a scrutineering volunteering for a few races.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #102
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not a fan of ovals though. I find them boring.
You're watching them wrong. On the surface I get it, I fall asleep sometimes too. But the fundamentals are all there and if you really pay attention you can enjoy it just as much as a road course.

Close your eyes and its basically the same thing, speed up, slow down, turn, repeat.

Chassis set up and lines are key. But that's the same on a road course. F1 is just a procession nowadays. Most of the key passes are made in pit strategy.

Both avenues are suffering dramatically from technology taking the driver out of the equation. I long for the days when a driver could drive the wheels off a car and put a 5th place car in victory lane.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #103
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Does anyone here watch Indy? Is it worth the watch or is it a clear step down in quality?
Quote:
I watch it when it’s on. The racing is usually quite good. So much less dominance based on the power unit and car. It’s a budget series compared to F1. It lacks the car tech and glitz and glamour. But it feels like purer racing in some ways. I believe they only use Chevy or Honda power and all have nearly identical chassis’ so you don’t get the constructor dominance.
Wait, so I just looked up the schedule for Indy. It looks like Sportsnet has the rights but only streams the races, no TV?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #104
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

That would be an unfortunate development. I don’t think they show all the races but quite a few have been on TV in previous years.

After some googling it appears you are correct. Thanks SN. I found a quote with no source on reddit saying it’ll be on SN World or online via SN Now. Lol. As if I’m gonna pay for that crap channel.

Thankfully quite a few races are on NBC.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #105
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Dp
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #106
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's bad news if true about Indy.

Legal motorsports broadcasting in Canada just plain sucks. It got even worse when Fox bought Speed.

You can get Fox Sports racing on Telus, but they treat it as a premium channel which is super annoying. Speed was a part of the normal sports package and I don't remember getting a discount when it went off air.

This is partially offset by the addition of MavTV which has some good content, especially if you are into dirt racing.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #107
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just noticed last night that Shaw added Fox Sports Racing and MavTV to our channels. This was in the last day or 2. Had a look to the weekend and they're not showing any Indy, but Fox is showing all Formula E races from what I assume is last year. I believe last year they were still the Gen 1 cars...the 2019 Gen 2 is in China this weekend.

Either way it was a nice surprise to see them show up.

I streamed the Indy season opener off Sportsnet website to the TV...not great, but better than nothing.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #108
jayswin

Exp:

Like they showed up on Shaw for free, or you had to subscribe?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #109
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

MavTV showed up on Telus with the latest guide update.

Fox Sports Racing did at the same time but was only on a preview.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #110
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Like they showed up on Shaw for free, or you had to subscribe?
They just showed up. We certainly didn't add them. And there isnt the usual disclaimer about it being "in preview" or similar.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #111
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Every moment I spend in prison in Bahrain stains the reputation of F1
In 2017 I criticised the Bahrain Grand Prix on Facebook. Since then I have been imprisoned, beaten and sexually assaulted
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...ain-grand-prix

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #112
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I watched the F1 series on Netflix and we are looking forward to watching our first ever race on TV this weekend!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #113
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

@Bagor, that is a troubling and terrible story that has made the rounds on Bahrain. I truly wish F1 had nothing to do with brutal regimes like this (or Saudia Arabia getting a Formula E race). But money talks...unfortunately. I'll certainly never, EVER, attend a race there.

@Tyler...pretty awesome series that opens up F1 to lots of new fans. Watch "A Gentlemens Driver" and "Williams" as well for a few more on motorsports. I really wish "Senna" was on Netflix. Feel free to join our Pick Em as well...you're not far behind DoubleK

Also...early reminder for everyone to get picks in for the race this weekend. Race is 7am MST on Sunday, so NEW CUTOFF FOR PICKS OF FRIDAY 12AM (MIDNIGHT) MST.. Post #92 has current standings. Qualifying is 9am Saturday.

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2...n.html#circuit

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 03-27-2019 at 07:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #114
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people like Lance Stroll? He's Canadian, so I started to gravitate to him, but he seems like a total rich boy ###### in the F1 doc. Is he even a decent racer?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #115
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
@Bagor, that is a troubling and terrible story that has made the rounds on Bahrain. I truly wish F1 had nothing to do with brutal regimes like this (or Saudia Arabia getting a Formula E race). But money talks...unfortunately. I'll certainly never, EVER, attend a race there.

@Tyler...pretty awesome series that opens up F1 to lots of new fans. Watch "A Gentlemens Driver" and "Williams" as well for a few more on motorsports. I really wish "Senna" was on Netflix. Feel free to join our Pick Em as well...you're not far behind DoubleK

Also...early reminder for everyone to get picks in for the race this weekend. Race is 7am MST on Sunday, so cutoff is say 6am Sunday morning. Post #92 has current standings. Qualifying is 9am Saturday.

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2...n.html#circuit
Shouldn't the cut off be before qualifying, though?
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #116
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Do people like Lance Stroll? He's Canadian, so I started to gravitate to him, but he seems like a total rich boy ###### in the F1 doc. Is he even a decent racer?
I like him, most don't. His skills are up for debate, but no he's not great or anything. I don't think he's as weak as others do, and he did get points last week after a poor qualifying which is pretty impressive (first race in not the worst cars ever put on the track in F1)
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #117
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I'm 50/50. The fact that his dad has given him the upper hand can't be denied but it's not like he's completely without talent either.

I'm glad he's with a team now that we can at least see what he can do in a decent car. This season will be huge for him to prove he belongs and isn't just there to bring money in
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #118
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite part about Stroll last year, and again in Australia, is his amazing starts. It doesn't get talked enough about on the broadcasts but if you watch the races he somehow always made up 2-4 spots in the first lap even in the ****box that is the Williams car. I'm really looking forward to how he does this year with Racing Point. He definitely was over his head in his rookie year against Massa in the Williams, and last year is a really hard year to evaluate for him, as that Williams was just so bad.

I root for him as he is Canadian and I don't think hes a ######, he's well liked on the paddock, is best friends with Ocon who everyone seemed to love last year. I get why people want him to fail though.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #119
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Shouldn't the cut off be before qualifying, though?
I'm easy...certainly adds a little more intrigue vs. just copying the qualifying results. I did suggest we have them in by Friday for Australia...so thats before qualifying.

NEW CUTOFF FOR PICKS OF FRIDAY 12AM (MIDNIGHT) MST. Can keep it this way for the rest of the season.

And any new posters in the thread are more then welcome to join!!

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 03-27-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #120
jayswin

Exp:

Yep, love it. I think F1's just a little too predictable after qualifying. This will keep things nice and difficult.