Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #101
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ no ofence taken, my personal bias aside, I also thought they had the four best goalies as well, although I think the one goalie from the buffaloes is also good - but I wonder if they just played him too much.

I thought rockyview also had 5 very good guys on the back end as well. I thought that Lethbridge looked a little flat in the south division playoffs in okotoks, but perhaps they just knew they were going to keep on playing regardless.

but as you alluded too, in this tournament format, you just need to play well at the right time.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #102
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this past weekend my son attended a spring camp for the Calgary canucks. The camp had players from 15 to 18 - maybe a few 19 yr olds. My son was happy with his play and had fun. the goalie coach gave him what I thought was fair feedback.

they did not mention anything about inviting him to their combine in july, so I am not expecting anything more which is fine as I doubt there are many 16 yr olds playing in the AJHL on a regular basis.

I was able to get him a spot in a spring camp where many players played AAA last year, so he will likely not have fun for the first few practices while he adjusts to playing with guys who should really push him.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:46 AM   #103
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
this past weekend my son attended a spring camp for the Calgary canucks. The camp had players from 15 to 18 - maybe a few 19 yr olds. My son was happy with his play and had fun. the goalie coach gave him what I thought was fair feedback.

they did not mention anything about inviting him to their combine in july, so I am not expecting anything more which is fine as I doubt there are many 16 yr olds playing in the AJHL on a regular basis.
Correct for the last sentence
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #104
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

My nephew (hes the beauty skating around with the banner at the end of the video) is off to Nationals as the Lethbridge Midget AAA won the Pacific Regionals on Saturday beating the Fraser Valley Thunderbirds two straight in a best of three series in Chilliwack. Of the Sudbury ON for the Telus Cup which starts on the 23rd.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #105
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Canes! Good luck in the Telus Cup.

St Albert Slash also defeated their BC counterparts from Vancouver to advance to the Esso Cup which is the female equivalent (MAAA).

Best of luck to both Alberta teams, representing the pacific region at Nationals.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #106
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Correct for the last sentence
how many 16 yr olds do you think play in the AJHL? I was thinking the really good 16s in in the dub; while the majority of them are still playing midget AAA.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #107
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember an amazing Chris Phillips playing for Ft McMurray at age 16. Only reason he wasn't in PA is because he was waiting for his sis to finish university so she could come home and look after their parents.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #108
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
how many 16 yr olds do you think play in the AJHL? I was thinking the really good 16s in in the dub; while the majority of them are still playing midget AAA.
not very scientific but I just looked at the IHDB pages for the South AJHL teams and looked at kids who were said to be 16 or 15 last year (most of the 16 year olds were late 2000s). if I confined my search to 2001s ( which would be relevant to your question as I think your guys is a 2002) and then looked for kids who played regularly (ie 20+ games- each team gave lots of these kids cups of coffee)

looks like most teams carried 1-3 such skaters, couldn't see any (may have missed one) 16 year old goalies
Old 04-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #109
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
not very scientific but I just looked at the IHDB pages for the South AJHL teams and looked at kids who were said to be 16 or 15 last year (most of the 16 year olds were late 2000s). if I confined my search to 2001s ( which would be relevant to your question as I think your guys is a 2002) and then looked for kids who played regularly (ie 20+ games- each team gave lots of these kids cups of coffee)

looks like most teams carried 1-3 such skaters, couldn't see any (may have missed one) 16 year old goalies
Only two 16 year-olds may be dressed each game. Rare to see more than one on any roster. Most players break into the league at 18. You have to have 9 18-19 years old dressed each game.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #110
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
I am 16 and know lots of people who have gotten a taste, but very few 16 year olds per team. Maybe 2-3. Most people who play Midget AAA (except maybe those on the worst teams) get a shot in the league, and many become regulars
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #111
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Only two 16 year-olds may be dressed each game. Rare to see more than one on any roster. Most players break into the league at 18. You have to have 9 18-19 years old dressed each game.
thanks for clarifying not really sure why I said 3 , the one that had me confused for a sec was Okotoks who had 2 2001s and a couple of Dec 2000s (one born on Dec 31)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #112
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, Royals Midget players will be required to join a Global Sports school program? Not sure what to think about this, and I wonder if the NWCAA will be next as they are already sponsored by Global and have some players attending the Springbank academy.

EDIT: And what about kids who are in Royals territory but are not in the catchment for one of those two schools? And vice versa?

Quote:
The Calgary Royals Hockey Association and Global Sport Academy Group are proud to announce a strategic partnership which is re-defining the elite hockey model. The partnership vision with the Calgary Board of Education and the Calgary Catholic School District and their designate schools - Central Memorial High School and St. Mary’s High School.... This September the Royals Midget AAA, Royals Midget AA Gold and Midget AA Blue will skate within the team program

The Calgary Royals Hockey Association and Global Sport Academy Group are proud to announce a strategic partnership which is re-defining the elite hockey model.

Last edited by Nancy; 04-23-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #113
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
So, Royals Midget players will be required to join a Global Sports school program? Not sure what to think about this, and I wonder if the NWCAA will be next as they are already sponsored by Global and have some players attending the Springbank academy.

EDIT: And what about kids who are in Royals territory but are not in the catchment for one of those two schools? And vice versa?

The Calgary Royals Hockey Association and Global Sport Academy Group are proud to announce a strategic partnership which is re-defining the elite hockey model.
I believe people from all across the city go to springbank, but as for Mary’s and Central, I’m sure a lot of players would be let in for that cause
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #114
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post

This is one of the things I dislike most about this (if true). Now they are forcing kids to attend certain high schools? I cannot agree with this.

I have my opinion about Global and it's mixed. For a number of reasons. There are many things I like about it but increasingly there are also a number of things that I have come to dislike and disagree with.

They have also recently expanded to Okotoks and Airdrie to compliment the original program at Springbank.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #115
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is pretty ridiculous. Forcing bantam kids to be professionalized is preposterous.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #116
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
This is pretty ridiculous. Forcing bantam kids to be professionalized is preposterous.
this is for major midgets (grade 11/12) which is in some ways even more strange as really these are athletes that are 2 years in at a given high school some of which they 'need' to attend for special programs or whatnot

very strange
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #117
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
We lost Friday to a team we should have beat. The refs were unusually competent. We had power play chances, were disciplined, all that stuff. Just couldn't score enough. Our goalie and one of our D had a miscommunication that cost us one. We then tied it but gave up another soon after that wasn't a pretty one.
Not to go back and harp on an old post, but I just started reading this thread today and this kind of attitude towards refs really GMG. I am a minor hockey ref and the kind of sh*t that we have to put up with from players, coaches, and parents is insane. I've had coaches swear at me, tell me I am doing a sh*t job, that I am barely competent, and walk away at the end of the game without even shaking my hand. I get it, you're mad that I missed the offside that cost your team a goal, or the tripping penalty that happened behind the play 50 feet from the puck. Trust me, I am pretty annoyed at myself for blowing the call too, often times when something is missed I am hoping that neither team scores as a result. Even ex-NHL Referee, Kerry Fraser, says the same thing in his players tribune article,

'If I knew I had missed a call, a player would skate up to me and say, ' “That was bull####, Kerry.”

And I’d say, “You know what? You’re probably right. I’m sorry.”

There would be times when I’d say a little prayer: Please, God, do not let them score on this power play. I might have messed up.'

(It's an awesome article BTW: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...eferee-stories)

You mentioned earlier that your son was in peewee which likely means that the refs are typically in their first or second year. It is already hard enough learning to be a ref with the minimal training we receive and the giant rule book we are trying to remember. Let alone having players, coaches, and parents, screaming after every call. Imagine if your son was in his first or second year of hockey and had someone screaming at him every time he missed a pass, lost the puck, or shot wide. Being a ref is a thankless job and trying to keep everyone happy is impossible. Part of the struggle to get consistent reffing is the loss of first year refs. The last I heard the turnover rate for first year referees is over 50%.

So next time you ponder the competency of referees, realize that these are kids that aren't much older than your son doing this as a side job for a little extra cash. Better yet, why not take a reffing course and try to be one yourself. Besides all the crap we get it's great exercise and can be a lot of fun.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #118
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ here is what i think about refs - they are human, they will make mistakes, their calls are judgement calls sometimes and i for one have not read the rulebook from start to finish.

when i have coached and my players started to whine about the refs, i just remind them that it is one more challenge they will have to overcome if they really want to win. and if you don't want to win that badly, well you now have an excuse as to why you did not win instead of admitting that you were not good enough to beat the other team.

in 2002 the canadian women won a good medal despite all that was against them.

players miss passes, picking up their checks - just like the refs miss offsides and penalties. if every who particpated in this game was perfect the score would 0-0 with no shots on net - sounds like a fun game to me.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #119
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a few more thoughts regarding the Royals / Global Academy thing as I was driving home last night:

1. Elite team rosters are not finalized until later in September. School year begins in early September. If Royals players are expected to attend school at Central Memorial they would need to register prior to knowing they were even on the team) or change schools a few weeks into the school year. Neither makes a lot of sense to me.

2. National Sports Academy which is another high level sports program (albeit different philosophy than Global) also is based at Central Memorial. So two competing programs both utilizing the same high school. Gotta wonder how much of this is a shot by Global to take out NSA.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:28 AM   #120
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my son started spring hockey last week (he missed the first week as the quadrant team was running a spring combine), and he is skating with a group of pretty good players as everyone plays for one of the quadrant teams. so teh pace is quick.

my son struggled a bit in the early going; however, as the practice went on i thought he adapted and started to get a book on some of the guys and he performed better.

in order to "survive" this spring, he will need to evolve get better. but based on what i have seen so far, it seems that the mental performace coaching he is getting is starting to help him.