Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #1221
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Took awhile but I got my playing partner to send me the pics he took of the Hole in One event.....

Old 06-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #1222
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone played Springbank Links lately? Last time I played it was probably 10 years ago.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #1223
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Anyone played Springbank Links lately? Last time I played it was probably 10 years ago.
Played a could times this year. Great shape. A couple holes on the front might be redesigned if you haven't played in 10 years.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #1224
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Played it yesterday - other than the hurricane force winds, rain and -100c temps, it was good as usual. Although I didn't think the greens were in the best shape.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #1225
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Stupid question but those personal scorebooks that golfers sometimes use - Do those typically have blank scoresheets that you then fill out the par and your score, or are they literally just a holder for the courses scorecard?

And if so, aren't many course cards huge? Maybe you ask for a smaller version?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #1226
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you mean golfers you see on tv?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #1227
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Stupid question but those personal scorebooks that golfers sometimes use - Do those typically have blank scoresheets that you then fill out the par and your score, or are they literally just a holder for the courses scorecard?

And if so, aren't many course cards huge? Maybe you ask for a smaller version?
Those are the book on the course they are playing. Back in the day the caddie's responsibility was to know every measurement and feature of the course. They would come out in the days before the tournament and pace off all of the hazards and major features so the player would have accurate distances to each target. They would also go out and map out every green and have specific distances and variances in green speeds as a result of slope and undulation of the surface. All of this was kept in that book.

Now, all of that information is available for purchase. Services like Green Book do the work for the caddie, but it naturally comes at a price. But the information they get is way more accurate than any caddie could ever produce, as it uses laser measurement and 3d topographic mapping to produce renderings no caddie could ever come up with.

Players will keep their scorecard in their yardage book, but it is not designed as a scorecard holder. This folder is used as a playing aid. It should also be noted that players are responsible for keeping their playing partner's score in a traditional swapping of cards, allowing for an audit, and they have to turn in the card in what would be considered legible shape, so they just naturally keep it in the book where it will be dry and undamaged. With the advancements in tournament golf this may seem archaic, but players still manage to put down the wrong score, forget strokes, and fail to audit properly, which can lead to the signature of an incorrect scorecard and a trip to the Dairy Queen.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #1228
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys,

Thoughts on where to buy and get fitted for new clubs?

Thinking a set of Taylor Made M2's as am not a particularly long hitter but have potential to improve (shoot mid 90s). Playing with Rocket Balz now, 7-8 years old which I purchased from Golf Town.

Was thinking of supporting a local pro shop like Canyon Meadows.

Thanks!
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #1229
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Inglewood is the Taylor Made fitting center in Calgary.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #1230
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I think Inglewood is the Taylor Made fitting center in Calgary.
This. And they have a fitting event going on today and tomorrow. By appointment, but there may still be some openings.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #1231
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I went to Douglasdale this past weekend and did the Tin Cup, that is played the entire round with only one club (I did not break the rest of my clubs however). Douglasdale is basically the perfect course for this as everything is short enough that you can do it, so I used a 9-iron and shot 77 (it's a par 60). Had a birdie, dropped three one putts and only had four three putts.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #1232
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Decided to play a round this morning figuring that if we got got out early we could beat some of the heat and humidity. Even though I took a cart this time, the heat and humidity was not good. Had I walked I would have probably quit after nine.

We finished at noon and found the parking lot that is usually jammed with vehicles to be 3/4 empty and very few golfers on the course. Went into the pro shop to record my score and the young lad behind the desk was commenting about the lack of golfers.

Dropped by the Highwood on the way the home and they were having the same problem. Few golfers and a mostly empty parking lot.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #1233
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Decided to play a round this morning figuring that if we got got out early we could beat some of the heat and humidity. Even though I took a cart this time, the heat and humidity was not good. Had I walked I would have probably quit after nine.

We finished at noon and found the parking lot that is usually jammed with vehicles to be 3/4 empty and very few golfers on the course. Went into the pro shop to record my score and the young lad behind the desk was commenting about the lack of golfers.

Dropped by the Highwood on the way the home and they were having the same problem. Few golfers and a mostly empty parking lot.
We played Wolf Creek yesterday and it wasn't very busy at all. Think we only saw a couple of other groups. Also played Carstairs today and it was very busy.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #1234
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to the driving range at McCall Lake on Saturday at around 11am. While I was in the clubhouse someone showed up asking if there were any spots available for a single walk on and they were told they could tee off by themselves immediately - the course was dead.

I asked and they staff just figured with the heat warnings and Stampede, people just weren't golfing.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #1235
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the heat kept a lot of people away this last week on top of Stampede.

The men's league I play in is dead during Stampede. So dead that we finish our 9 45 minutes faster than usual.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #1236
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the courses I saw this weekend looked pretty quiet. And naturally I wasn't able to take advantage of this and get in a round.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #1237
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played in a an open this last weekend, and the horse race sat. night was crazy. 5 people teeing off at once on the first t . after that there are about 40 carts in the fairway shooting their second shots, but teams lost to the right or left that had to basically play over them. fully cranked boom box and bottles of hard liquor.
good times.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #1238
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Has anyone seen the Flat Cat putter grips for sale in Calgary? I've checked GolfTown and Sport Check, no dice.
I still haven't seen these around town, has anyone?

I see they are in stock on Amazon and other retailers, but want to see what the sizing is like before I purchase.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #1239
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ have you tried simply golf in the golfdome off of macleod?

buddy of mine was trying to convince me to join serenity - $6,200 to get in plus $2,500 annually - so 30 rounds to breakeven. for folks that live in the deep south this seems like a reasonable price - although I have no idea how the course would stack up on a pricing and layout basis to sirocco, heritage pointe and cottonwood and I suppose speargrass.

membership also gets you driving range at blue devil, plus opportunity to play lil devil. About 12 yrs ago I would have strongly considered this; now, I am content to golf 2 to 5 times per summer - so it would not be a good deal for me right now.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #1240
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best round of the year yesterday, 81. Followed it up with an 88 today

Been getting out really early and finishing before 11 the last few weeks. Perfect weather and excellent course conditions. Nobody else out there!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow