Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #101
BigRed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post

Pelech and Negrin don't have NHL experience, Pardy's arguably our 3rd best D-man already. Stupid to get rid of that for two unknown quantities (Pardy's replacement and Kaberle)
Kaberle's hardly an unknown quantity. Look at his numbers. Not much to prove. He's the picture of consistency.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #102
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Agreed. But it's all abotu needs. WHo in a position to make a push could use Kaberle. Detroit and San Jose are solid on puck-moving D; so is Chicago. Rangers have to think they're set on D; ditto NJ. Could see Philly or Pittsburgh making a play for him. So between Philly, Pitt and the Flames, who can make the best offer?
Sundin + Wellwood + picks (loads of them) for Kaberle.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #103
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't like Bertuzzi dropping the gloves. I can see why he responded given it was Tootoo and what Tootoo was doing, but a skill player with back issues should never get involved in a tussle.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #104
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Well, after the coward crosschecked him in the back, could you blame him?

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #105
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So far its shaping up to be a phenomenal year for sports in Calgary. The stamps won the Grey cup, the Flames are #3 in the West and in the top 6 in the league, the Hitmen are tied for 1st in the WHL, and the Roughnecks are 1st in NLL.

Last edited by FiftyBelow; 01-31-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Forgot the Roughnecks
FiftyBelow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiftyBelow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 AM   #106
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
In 06/07, Brodeur got his 30th win in. . . . . Game 48.

So definitely not "faster than anyone else in history"
actually it looks to be a moot point anyway. Nabokov has 27 wins in 36 games played, so if there is a record to be had it'll be his
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:07 AM   #107
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Anyone have the Kipper save on Youtube yet?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 AM   #108
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Now 13 pts up and still 1 game in hand on the canucks...

Any Naysayers left?

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:30 AM   #109
Orange
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
So, just how far ahead of the rest of the division are the Flames?

The playoff predictor website didn't even list Oilers-Wild as a "big game" affecting Calgary.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...st/Flames.html

All the other NW members are closer to the Tavares sweep stake than they are to the Flames.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:32 AM   #110
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

15 points or bust.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:35 AM   #111
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Quote:
... but Kaberle is a top 2 D with 2 years left on a very good contract ($4.5 mln for a D that averages 50+ points consistently for the past 9 years). He's also only a minus this year, on a horrible team with NO goaltending to speak of.

Fact is, he's an excellent, underrated defenceman that adds the dimension we need for a decent price. Sure, Pardy might play #4 some day; but this Flames team is about now. If the Leafs take the deal, you pull the trigger. Add Kaberle, and this team is looking pretty great for the big shiney thing, 2009 version. And that's worth a future #4 D any day.
You do that and then you really handicap yourself in getting Cammi locked up next year. Fact is I don't see the Flames chances at the cup based on getting Kaberle on on our blue line.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 AM   #112
thefanblogger
Lifetime Suspension at User's Request

Exp:

If there is one thing that I have learned about the Calgary Flames, it is that they can win ugly, boring, exciting; basically they can win any way they can win. Tonight they won with defense, which usually means totally boring. But tonight, there was a touch of exciting, meaning I liked a couple of goals the Flames scored tonight.

Before I mention the goals, let's talk about a very good first period for the Flames. The Flames fired 15 shots at Pekka Rinne, who looked terrific in the first period. I really liked Rinne's ability to control rebounds, not giving the Flames a second chance. That was a major key in Rinne's success in stopping the puck the first time, and making sure there were no loose pucks. Pekka has a great glove hand, and he played the angles very well. He is a terrific young goalie.

Back to the first period. The Flames played a very safe first period, making sure there were no mistakes in their own zone. The main reason was that the Preds have to play the trap aka the defensive zone. So the Flames pretty much had to play the waiting game until the Preds made mistakes they could capitalize on. Well, they did exactly that, but they ran into a very hot goalie in Pekka Rinne. So basically, you have the boring first period, which the Flames did dominate.

The second period was the best period the Preds played this game. The problem is, Kipper was outstanding, continuously holding the Preds at bay. Kipper was on his game, forcing Preds shooters into bad angles. The Preds continued to work hard, they outworked the Flames at times in the second period. Meanwhile, the Flames continued to wait and pounce on mistakes. Well the first goal was a mistake, trying to knock the pass in front of the net instead of the man; as a result, Lombardi was left alone in front of the net, tapping the pass from Glencross into the net. The second goal was he result of Nystrom pouncing on a turnover and turning it into a two-on-one break, and Roy roofing the net, to put it 2-0 in the second period.

During the third period, the Preds continued to hustle, and it actually paid off in the third, as Dumont converted off a rebound. Kipper thought he had the puck, Dumont found it and popped it in the net. The Preds continued to work, but ran into a brick wall called Kipper. The Preds finally let frustration get to them, giving the Flames a two man advantage. When you give a good team too much opportunity, they will burn you. As a result, the Flames' Aucoin scored the final goal, to give the Flames a 3-1 victory.

The most impressive thing about the Flames this season is that there is always a player who steps it up. Tonight, the top two lines where held in check. What happens? The other players step it up. A very good sign for the fans in Calgary.

Randy
thefanblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thefanblogger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2009, 01:03 AM   #113
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Might have been Kipper's best game of the season, even though he let one in. He keeps playing like that and I'll be happy to quit ragging on him! If he plays like that in the playoffs... we'll go a long way.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #114
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kaberle's hardly an unknown quantity. Look at his numbers. Not much to prove. He's the picture of consistency.
Yes, but will he play good with Regher? or Phaneuf? Will he be completely incompatible with both of them?

I understand what you mean, but it is still unknown where he would fit in. That's what I was getting at.

That said, I'd be happy to get him, Pronger, Niedermayer, or any other good defenseman out there.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #115
mcsaxo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I mentioned this in another thread:

I was listening to post game discussions on the Fan, and this one dude "Phil" was discussing how awesome Cammy's doing this season with the Flames. He even said he may be one of the top 15 forwards in the league. I quite agree with this...then he kept talking.

As he went on, his tone seemed to imply that Cammy has taken ranks over Iggy and that we should sign Cammy for whatever he's worth (IMO at least 6 mill) and trade Iggy for depth.

This is stupid. Iggy's more than just our scoring hercules.
mcsaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:24 AM   #116
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we ahead of the Oils yet?
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:34 AM   #117
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

we trail the oil by a bit in fan malcontents....

But seriously, the oilers are fifth in the conference, 2nd in the division. Maybe a playoff B of A......
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 AM   #118
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

OT but... I have a strange feeling the Wings lose first or second round this year...
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:43 AM   #119
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eric Nystrom is the type of clutch depth player that the Flames have lacked in years past, and the development of guys like him (and Moss and Pardy) into key cogs have coincided with the team becoming a legitimate contender.

I like Eric Nystrom.

"Media" // Managing Editor @ FlamesNation // Flames contributor at Sporting News // Twitter
// Sometimes you can see me in the background of scrums on TV or hear me on the radio // PHWA member
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 AM   #120
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conroy.....i cheer like crazy for the guy, but it is getting to the point that when he is out on the first line, he looks a little silly. He does have some good plays each game.....the speed is there, the work on the boards, faceoffs to name a few. But he gets himself trying to do too much.

There is a really noticeable imbalance down the middle. None of Conroy, Lombardi nor Boyd slots into the role assigned to them.

I while back I thought Sutter would address adding a top 4 blueliner to play with Dion, but because of better play by Aucoin and Pardy, I think rejigging the centremen is taking over priority.
dustygoon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , post game , predators