Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
when is the Christmas trade freeze?
11:59pm Dec 19 to 12:01am Dec 28
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #523
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the flames "window" with this core is at its peak right now, and perhaps next season. After that, with Gaudreau, Monahan & Giordano heading into their last years of their current contracts. So if they believe that this core is close to being a real contender, they might as well go "chips in" at this point.

Now, the question to ask is if Hall is the piece they should be looking to add to take this team over the top. Ideally, we would be getting a C, or perhaps a RW, which Hall is not. That being said, for a team looking to add another game breaker at forward, I would argue that Hall may be the best pure offence generating forward that's possibly available, now, and perhaps within the next year.

Based on this, I would be happy to pay "rental" prices for Hall (a package that could include some combination/permutation of our 1st or 2nd round picks, prospects, depth forwards, kylington). I would be just fine in seeing how it goes before deciding on signing Hall to an extension.

I think the flames can again, try one more year next season to try to throw another 1st round pick, etc, to try to maximize this core's opportunity, with a strong rental.

However, at that point, I would definitely look at going back into rebuild mode, by maximizing returns on Monahan, Gaudreau, Giordano.

So again, I'm more comfortable in Hall being a rental, than signing him to one of the big $10 million/7 year deals, when we could be looking at rebuilding within 2 summers from now.

Last edited by bubbsy; 12-16-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #524
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
At the expense of Matthew Tkachuk? No, you do not make that trade. There is no realistic way the Flames could have traded for Stone—since he would have only moved with a signed extension—and also managed to re-sign Tkachuk in the summer.
Right. Stone would have increased the price of his deal for a Canadian city. Vegas has no income tax. I think his $9.5 becomes $11M.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #525
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
11:59pm Dec 19 to 12:01am Dec 28
Unless Treliving continues the Burke tradition in which case the freeze is on already. I tend to think he doesn't though.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #526
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurry up and trade him to Arizona or Colorado already.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #527
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dicklund seems like a parody of Eklund
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #528
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh look at that, Eklund's member has a Twitter account.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #529
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennyBaller View Post
Does this guy have any credibility? I've never heard of him
I did a quick look up on him up and he has had an NHL scouting career and NBC has also used him as a reference on rumours and insights before. As his Twitter bio says, he still covers the OHL as well.

Doesn't particularly seem like a person to throw random crap out there.

As is the case with Tree, we know he's in on everything. We know he was in on Kane, we know he was in on Stone - it shouldn't be a surprise that we more or less know that he is in on Hall. The Chiclets guy also isn't someone to just blow smoke for no reason.

I think it's highly likely we're involved, and only if an extension can be done - as we also know that Tree won't spend significant assets on rentals.

Last edited by ComixZone; 12-16-2019 at 11:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #530
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm very excited about the possibility of bringing in Hall. I don't think that there is a chance of a hometown discount, but I do think that there may be a possiblity of a Stamkos/Stone contender discount where he signs for 7-digit figure so he can fit into the structure of a team like the Flames that will give him a shot to play in the playoffs for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Taylor Hall will likely be an unrestricted free agent next summer, Hall laid his intentions out there last summer. And he sure sounds like a guy who will at least hear out anyone who wants to propose to him during the free-agent negotiating period in June 2020.

“You want to play on the best team possible, and I’ve played nine seasons in the NHL and only won one playoff game. You want to be on a team that’s not only a playoff contender but a playoff contender every year,”

“I only have so many more years left in this league, and so many more chances to win a Stanley Cup. It hasn’t even come close yet, so I kinda wanna make up for lost time, but at the same time you wanna be smart with everything that’s going on.”
source: https://www.nhltraderumor.com/8-poss...r-taylor-hall/

I think that Hanifin would likely have to be the centerpiece of a deal. New Jersey could really use a legit top-4 Dman and he's signed for a few more years. Add in a guy like Frolik who can fit in the Devils line up and a prospect or a forward under team control like Bennett or Jankowski and the Flames have opened up room for Hall. Obviously they would have to take the risk that Valimaki will be able to step into the line up and be able to take care of most of the minutes that Hanifin was playing, but going forward with a top six of:

Hall Lindholm Tkachuk
Gaudreau Monahan Backlund

would be awesome to see. Good luck to any team trying to match up to that.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #531
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
I'm very excited about the possibility of bringing in Hall. I don't think that there is a chance of a hometown discount, but I do think that there may be a possiblity of a Stamkos/Stone contender discount where he signs for 7-digit figure so he can fit into the structure of a team like the Flames that will give him a shot to play in the playoffs for the foreseeable future.

source: https://www.nhltraderumor.com/8-poss...r-taylor-hall/

I think that Hanifin would likely have to be the centerpiece of a deal. New Jersey could really use a legit top-4 Dman and he's signed for a few more years. Add in a guy like Frolik who can fit in the Devils line up and a prospect or a forward under team control like Bennett or Jankowski and the Flames have opened up room for Hall. Obviously they would have to take the risk that Valimaki will be able to step into the line up and be able to take care of most of the minutes that Hanifin was playing, but going forward with a top six of:

Hall Lindholm Tkachuk
Gaudreau Monahan Backlund

would be awesome to see. Good luck to any team trying to match up to that.
Unfortunately, I can't say that one of those players is like the other 5.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #532
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any legit rumour as to what Halls next deal will look like? Is it going to be in Mark Stone territory?
Old 12-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #533
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Any legit rumour as to what Halls next deal will look like? Is it going to be in Mark Stone territory?
Whatever GM pays Hall Mark Stone money will be the first in line screaming about the need for a new CBA to protect him from himself.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #534
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
If you're suggesting Backlund isn't a top six player, I think you should look at the top six of most teams. Even if you think that, standing alone, he isn't, most teams have a guy who otherwise wouldn't be, but for whatever reason, fits in.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #535
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never heard of Dicklund before but here's hoping parody Eklund is akin to a double negative!

I hope Hanifin isn't part of the package. I think he is 2 seasons from actually exploding still. He is crazy young still and on a huge value contract if he improves meaningfully. If Hanifin is the main piece I hope he's essentially the only main piece.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #536
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dube will be the 6th top 6 guy. Backlund has honestly looked better on the wing though.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #537
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ah Backlund has been turning it around since Ward took over.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #538
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Whatever GM pays Hall Mark Stone money will be the first in line screaming about the need for a new CBA to protect him from himself.
I bet Hall is looking for Panarin money. He may not get it, but that is $2M more than Stone so I could see that as the ending place.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #539
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
True, but since the Ottawa game (I think that is when the lines were switched)

Monahan: 7GP 4G 4A 8P (1PP point)
Gaudreau: 7GP 4G 2A 6P (2PP points)

I disliked the idea of him on the wing with those two at first, but they have some chemistry and once Backlund starts actually finishing some of the many, many chances he is getting I think they will put up some numbers. He's a pretty skilled guy and fulfills the defensive conscience role that Lindholm was covering.
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #540
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
True, but since the Ottawa game (I think that is when the lines were switched)

Monahan: 7GP 4G 4A 8P (1PP point)
Gaudreau: 7GP 4G 2A 6P (2PP points)

I disliked the idea of him on the wing with those two at first, but they have some chemistry and once Backlund starts actually finishing some of the many, many chances he is getting I think they will put up some numbers. He's a pretty skilled guy and fulfills the defensive conscience role that Lindholm was covering.
Backlund has also played wing for the Swedish national team on a couple of occasions. I think he is looking very good there, though he seems to still be ridiculously unlucky in actually cashing in on chances. He has put so many off of the post this season, makes me think he played too much shinny without goalies during the summer months :P
Closed Thread