Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #401
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
There are some truly awful takes on Taylor Hall in here and I suspect a large chunk of that is people building up biases during his time in Edmonton in an effort to discredit his offensive upside.

No, he’s not winning a Selke any time soon but his offensive upside more than makes up for that. Wouldn’t trade Dube for Hall 1 for 1? Give me a break. That’s the kind of crap other teams fans put in their own ATL’s and laugh at.

Hall is elite and saying you wouldn’t want him here is nothing short of foolish. I’ve seen a lot more good than bad from Hall in his career.
I wouldn’t trade Jankowski for Hall one for one. (Well maybe for *1.) You know why? Because Hall is currently coming off a $6 million dollar contract. He’s going to get $8.5 to maybe high $9 million from someone. Give him a deal in that range and we’re on our way to being Leafs west. Too much cap tied up in offensive style top 6 players and little else to round out the roster.

If Backlund is kept around we need to upgrade #1 or #2 center at some point to put him where he’s best suited. At #3. The only current way around that is Lindholm maintaining the #1C and either relying on one of Tkachuk/Gaudreau holding fort at an off wing. Frolik’s position will need to be filled, and we aren’t certain that prospect youth will be the answer nor consistently reliable on a cup contending team. We need a #4 center and somewhere to relocate Jankowski to. Brodie and Hamonic either need extensions (higher AAV) or UFA replacements (we know how that usually goes). Rittich will get a raise in a couple years. Wildcard is Gio’s cap coming off the books giving some room at that time. Does Hall at #2 LW for 8-10 million restrict us in shoring up other areas of need. I think so but we’ll see what Treliving can achieve.

*1 I’d trade Jankowski for Hall one for one with the intention of letting Hall walk at the end of the year.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #402
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is foolish not to want a constantly injured guy who will be on the sidelines while making 10M a year? On the very low chance he comes here as soon as he signs that big deal when he gets hurt, not if but when I don't want to hear a peep out of the posters wanting him here. I don't want to hear about how we have no cap to add to the team while Hall is injured. Not a bad word whatsoever. Be careful what you wish for.
This is ridiculous. Honestly, you should be embarrassed. You're argument is Hall is destined to get injured throughout the remainder of his career. I guess your crystal ball is better than the rest of us. 10 million a year is another claim you can't substantiate. This is in no way a statement of fact. You don't know what Hall is going to sign for and his decision will likely be made on a number of things, most of which you're not aware of.

Lastly, you should be especially embarrassed about saying things like 'I don't want to hear....' good. Leave.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #403
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
For the Hall naysayers, if it's not Hall then who should the Flames target? What better option is there either now or one that you can gaze into your crystal ball and say'thats the guy'?

Even last year when Stone went to Vegas, you could see Hall being available and the Flames having interest, for good reason. The Flames look to have 2-3 years ahead of them where they could step into the leagues elite. If they do nothing, just my opinion, they're a better than average team until Gio's play falls off and they have a Gaudreau leaving situation on their hands. Then they will have run out of time.

Face it, they might not have another opportunity to acquire a player of this caliber for a long while.
Sometimes it’s far better to not overpay for UFAs and instead continue to invest in your young core.

Who’s to say the Flames aren’t as much of a contender or moreso if Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett and Valimaki take a step forward in the next year vs trading for Hall?

Picking the best target and then acquiring them at any price is a bad way to do business. Hall may make sense, but only for us at certain price points. The Devils may ask for more than would be prudent to trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #404
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't personally care either way if we get Hall or not, but I must say it is awfully refreshing not having to debate about a Brouwer or Neal type player being added to the team again.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #405
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who wanted to trade for Hall 2-3 weeks ago? It's not like we are the first team in history to experience the post-coach-change bump.

Imagine adding Hall to the Flames in last year's playoffs. Do they win any more games? Certainly still don't win the series.

Does he do anything to address the fundamental problems that have been so prevalent from the All star break to the day Peters was fired? IMO, no. Giving up assets and cap space to fill the position of least need would be absolutely insane.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #406
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I think the yokes would be silly to make this trade. The season is going well, why disrupt the team and room to do this.

The only way it would make sense for the totes is if they could sign him for some term.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #407
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Hamonic isnt a high value asset though when he is UFA in 6 months.
Incorrect. He’s a high value asset. Probably worth a 1st+ At the deadline if Treliving wanted to deal him
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #408
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Sometimes it’s far better to not overpay for UFAs and instead continue to invest in your young core.

Who’s to say the Flames aren’t as much of a contender or moreso if Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett and Valimaki take a step forward in the next year vs trading for Hall?

Picking the best target and then acquiring them at any price is a bad way to do business. Hall may make sense, but only for us at certain price points. The Devils may ask for more than would be prudent to trade.
Hard to say overpay when you don't know what the price is.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #409
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

dissentowner with a real meltdown in this thread. You doing okay? Your viewpoint on Hall is extremely questionable.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #410
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Hard to say overpay when you don't know what the price is.
Thus my last two sentences.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #411
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett + Kylington + 2nd (becomes 1st if he extends) is close IMO. Because we take a LS LW our in Bennett we literally stay basically the same. If we swap Valimaki for Kylington then the pick is not conditional it just stays a 2nd. To me it’s a worthy price to pay for an high end talent that instantly makes us harder to defend both 5 on 5 and while on the man advantage.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Backlund
Hall - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Or

Hall - Monahan - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm

Or

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Hall - Backlund - Lindholm

People who are saying Hall doesn’t fit into our top 6 are blind; he bolster the top 6 and the PP in a big big way.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #412
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Old 12-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #413
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Bennett + Kylington + 2nd (becomes 1st if he extends) is close IMO. Because we take a LS LW our in Bennett we literally stay basically the same. If we swap Valimaki for Kylington then the pick is not conditional it just stays a 2nd. To me it’s a worthy price to pay for an high end talent that instantly makes us harder to defend both 5 on 5 and while on the man advantage.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Backlund
Hall - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Or

Hall - Monahan - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm

Or

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Hall - Backlund - Lindholm

People who are saying Hall doesn’t fit into our top 6 are blind; he bolster the top 6 and the PP in a big big way.

I don’t think you’ll see much in the way of subtracting players from the active roster. It’s just not how these deals usually go down. It’s usually futures and perhaps a contract of some question and a prospect. The team is gearing up to compete by adding to their active roster without subtracting much.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #414
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Thus my last two sentences.
Fair.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #415
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’d take Palmieri on the flames over Hall.

Plays on the right side, has a great shot and is physical. Get him from the devils for a fraction of the cost of Hall.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #416
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hall is a youngish almost point per game player - those are rare. He has only played on bad NHL teams, has a strong desire to win a cup, and is from Calgary. We should go hard after him and pay him the $9M for the next 7 years. Here's who we trade:
- Kylington
- Bennett
- Frolik (who will turn into a draft pick for the Devils at the deadline).
Old 12-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #417
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Hall is a youngish almost point per game player - those are rare. He has only played on bad NHL teams, has a strong desire to win a cup, and is from Calgary. We should go hard after him and pay him the $9M for the next 7 years. Here's who we trade:
- Kylington
- Bennett
- Frolik (who will turn into a draft pick for the Devils at the deadline).
Subtract Bennett, add Hall... so we’ll be even softer then last years playoff embarrassment?
Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #418
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Subtract Bennett, add Hall... so we’ll be even softer then last years playoff embarrassment?
Rinaldo and Lucic - Hello? I like Bennett but there's a Hall of a player coming back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneuf_Phan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #419
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, Hall is not Crosby. News at 11.

I don’t really even want Hall on the team. I don’t care. But the idea that plus minus suddenly is THE stat or that we should turn down every player that isn’t Sidney Crosby is bizarre. We all wish we had O’Reilly, right? Well, not a lot of people wanted him when he was available. So best laid plans and all.

If you keep waiting to somehow get a perfect player in a trade, you’re going to miss out or be unhappy with the cost. It’s the way it goes. Guys like Hall? Far from perfect, but that’s why he’s available and that’s why the cost isn’t insane.

And again, Hall comes at a cost in terms of current roster players, future salary etc.

I didn’t say +/- is THE stat. I didn’t start my evaluation of Hall on a stat. In fact I told you anecdotally what I don’t like about Hall’s game, that everyone has seen, and the stat +/-, as it turns out, supports it.

The guy is offensively talented, defensively questionable, to the point that these have often basically offset each other.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #420
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Faster. You forgot to mention we would be faster with a near point per game winger in his prime.
Closed Thread