Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:
Default Vote Oskar Lindblom for Metro ASG Captain

An online campaign has gotten underway on reddit r/Hockey and echoed on r/CalgaryFlames to vote Oskar Lindblom Captain of the Metro division to show him how much the NHL community supports him and his family.

While you're voting your favourite Flame for Pacific Division Captain (Giordano, you plebs) make sure you select Lindblom Metro captain.

Link to vote: https://www.nhl.com/all-star-ballot

To vote Lindblom, you need to go all the way to the bottom of the options for Metro division, then search for his name.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Done
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a nice gesture but I don’t think he’d be able to play. He could still captain and attend (barring his health) I guess.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
It’s a nice gesture but I don’t think he’d be able to play. He could still captain and attend (barring his health) I guess.
I can say with near-certainty that nobody voting for him are doing so with the intent of him actually playing or even necessarily attending. It's a massive show of support by all fans, and him (hopefully) being named the 'winner' is simply to demonstrate all fans are behind him in his fight.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love this idea
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, c'mon man. This is very clearly a sentimental pick to show support, not a pick thinking he's pulled out of the 2019/20 season, undergoing strenuous cancer treatment, yet suiting up for the all star game, lol. What in the world made you think that?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Haha, c'mon man. This is very clearly a sentimental pick to show support, not a pick thinking he's pulled out of the 2019/20 season, undergoing strenuous cancer treatment, yet suiting up for the all star game, lol. What in the world made you think that?
Haha, c’mon man. I don’t think I said anywhere that he’d be lacing up skates. Cancer treatment doesn’t mean he’d be quarantined. Voting a guy captain and all the press that would come with that would lead to lots of attention up to and around the All Star game. Just like the over attention John Scott received.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:02 AM   #8
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, c’mon man. I don’t think I said anywhere that he’d be lacing up skates. Cancer treatment doesn’t mean he’d be quarantined. Voting a guy captain and all the press that would come with that would lead to lots of attention up to and around the All Star game. Just like the over attention John Scott received.
You made it sound like the OP was suggesting he'd play if he was voted in. Everyone knows that it wouldn't be for him to play at all. It would simply be a gesture to show him that the entire hockey community supports him.

It doesn't take a genius to know that the John Scott situation was 10000000% different and was started as a complete joke that led to lots of tension throughout the league, whereas this would literally be the entire league coming together to support one of their own.

You don't think the press would be mindful of his situation and give him all the space in the world? Even then, you don't think the league would step in and make sure Lindblom was completely protected at all costs unless he wanted to speak?
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #9
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
It doesn't take a genius to know that the John Scott situation was 10000000% different and was started as a complete joke that led to lots of tension throughout the league...
Gee that one year Gaudreau was supposed to be the Pacific Division captain and this happens? Yeah I'm kinda bitter about it but at least John Scott got what he wanted.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #10
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You made it sound like the OP was suggesting he'd play if he was voted in. Everyone knows that it wouldn't be for him to play at all. It would simply be a gesture to show him that the entire hockey community supports him.

It doesn't take a genius to know that the John Scott situation was 10000000% different and was started as a complete joke that led to lots of tension throughout the league, whereas this would literally be the entire league coming together to support one of their own.

You don't think the press would be mindful of his situation and give him all the space in the world? Even then, you don't think the league would step in and make sure Lindblom was completely protected at all costs unless he wanted to speak?
Why is it your intention to twist everyone’s posts into something else today?
Old 12-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, I don't get it either but the all-star game is pretty meaningless anyway, so voting for sentimental reasons is as good of a use as any.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Personally, I don't get it either but the all-star game is pretty meaningless anyway, so voting for sentimental reasons is as good of a use as any.
What's hard to get? Fans just want to show their support for him in the little way that they can. I think it's a nice gesture to let him know the fans are rooting for him.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #13
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Done. For anyone that may have missed it, you can vote ten times per day so make sure you do that!
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #14
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Of course, the John Scott situation, which started as a joke, ended up exceptionally well.

IIRC, wasn't he voted MVP.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote