Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 PM   #241
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Avs attacking the middle of the ice with speed to counter Smith's puckhandling...

the challenge is how to defend it... CBus basically instituted a trap to slow up TB; while its probably too late to try to institute that, calgary needs to do something...

even if it means moving up the spacing up closer to center ice...Colorado is winding up at center and putting the D on its heels - somehow calgary needs to slow that down.

also playing off the boards simply isn't going to cut it...calgary can be a perimeter in the regular season, but not in the playoffs... Everyone from colorado is attacking from the high slot, hammering shots and hoping to get rebounds/deflections...

Calgary doesn't have a single individual that can put a team on its heels so they are going to have to earn goals by attacking the crease.

The Flames should be embarrassed with that effort... the leaders of the team need to step up... Game 4 is a huge litmus test to this team's character - they can still lose, but they need to respond...they was zero response imo tonight
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 PM   #242
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
This post is equivalent to Flames performance on the ice today.

Unfair to the Flames.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 PM   #243
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Can this talking point ####ing die already?

What game were you watching? It's the Avs speed that the Flames had no answer for tonight.

The days of the LA Kings gooning it up in the 8th seed are gone. Hockey is about speed and skill, just as it is in the playoffs.
Grit is less about "gooning it up" and more about being able to fight through checks to generate the speed and space that is required to be successful in the playoffs.

I think the Flames lack speed in their top 6 for sure, but the grit is a huge part of it too. Guys aren't just going to let you get to the front of the net or skate up the ice without somebody back checking you hard.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #244
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Avs in 5
Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #245
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hammer.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #246
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When you’re deploying guys like Ryan, Lindholm, and Mangiapane to follow through on forechecks on guys like Cole & Zadorov, I believe it’s wasted energy and more likely to hurt their ability to provide depth offence. I think the Flames need less focus on hitting and more focus on puck possession & cycling it in the O zone.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #247
flamesforthecup2017
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Avs in 5
yeah i dont see any other outcome

sry but its the truth
flamesforthecup2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #248
danny darko
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Those 6 Mark Stone goals would be nice right about now lol
danny darko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danny darko For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #249
JATOSS
Draft Pick

On a high note, I quite like Hamonic. Blocking shots like it's his side hustle, responsible defensively, reassuring the goaltender after a goal, very consistent throughout the series so far.
JATOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JATOSS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:50 PM   #250
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Well, Treliving mentioned that it is difficult to make moves to fill holes without seeing your team in the playoffs. Flames really needed a couple of bodies like Kanzig or Hunter Smith to have worked out - guys with size, intelligence and skill. That's why they were drafted (whether or not you agree). Ferland was a great find, but had to be traded away (and with questionable health now). Riley Bruce, Austin Carroll, Emile Poirier, Tim Harrisson, Patrick Sieloff, even John Ramage and Bill Arnold - guys with size, grit, and ability at the junior level all busted. Flames really (IMO) needed a few of these guys to have worked out. Zack Fischer and Martin Pospisil are still in the pipeline, and the acquisition of Kerby Rychel (though injured). I guess Lazar plays with some sandpaper, and I guess Josh Healey is a (legitimate?) prospect as well...

Neal isn't bringing much to the table. Right now, he is a glorified 4th line enforcer out there - doesn't skate well, doesn't make plays well, but at least he is hitting.

Flames just don't appear to be made for the playoffs. I remember when Flames teams in the past used to absolutely love playing physical hockey - they excelled in those tough, gritty games. It seems to me that for the last couple of years, the Flames get rattled by the physicality.

Don't get me wrong - the Flames aren't missing an enforcer or something (though, at this point, I think I would replace about half the fricken players on the team with Peluso if he was healthy!!). To me, this team has a glaring hole in the size/physicality department. Instead of trying to develop Bennett's game, he basically has to become that enforcer.

Reaves and even Maroon would be welcome additions right now. What I wouldn't give for a Josh Anderson right now, and it is a shame the price on Stone went way up. It really is a huge shame that nobody other than Ferland has developed in all this time that the Flames have been drafting for that size+skill/grit combo.

Put Prout in next game, maybe even Stone. It isn't like the D are playing defence effectively anyway. Maybe replace a couple with some old-school stay at home defensive defencemen. Maybe at least they can stay in position and help poor Hamonic block some shots.

I read your post. Not sure what to do with it.

The problem the Flames have is that MacKinnon is playing so well that the Flames now have no answer for Compher (whoever the hell that is) (Or, in other words, they are playing the ‘04 Flames)

Reavers? Maroon? Prout? Good lord.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #251
Kokos
Draft Pick

JATOSS Hamonic deserves every dollar hes getting. Were down 4 goals and hes blocking one timers after one timers.
Kokos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kokos For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #252
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highlight of the night is Poison’s avatar.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #253
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post

Per ThePoint
34 shots from the slot! Mike Smith is a stud.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 PM   #254
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Well, Treliving mentioned that it is difficult to make moves to fill holes without seeing your team in the playoffs. Flames really needed a couple of bodies like Kanzig or Hunter Smith to have worked out - guys with size, intelligence and skill. That's why they were drafted (whether or not you agree). Ferland was a great find, but had to be traded away (and with questionable health now). Riley Bruce, Austin Carroll, Emile Poirier, Tim Harrisson, Patrick Sieloff, even John Ramage and Bill Arnold - guys with size, grit, and ability at the junior level all busted. Flames really (IMO) needed a few of these guys to have worked out. Zack Fischer and Martin Pospisil are still in the pipeline, and the acquisition of Kerby Rychel (though injured). I guess Lazar plays with some sandpaper, and I guess Josh Healey is a (legitimate?) prospect as well...

Neal isn't bringing much to the table. Right now, he is a glorified 4th line enforcer out there - doesn't skate well, doesn't make plays well, but at least he is hitting.

Flames just don't appear to be made for the playoffs. I remember when Flames teams in the past used to absolutely love playing physical hockey - they excelled in those tough, gritty games. It seems to me that for the last couple of years, the Flames get rattled by the physicality.

Don't get me wrong - the Flames aren't missing an enforcer or something (though, at this point, I think I would replace about half the fricken players on the team with Peluso if he was healthy!!). To me, this team has a glaring hole in the size/physicality department. Instead of trying to develop Bennett's game, he basically has to become that enforcer.

Reaves and even Maroon would be welcome additions right now. What I wouldn't give for a Josh Anderson right now, and it is a shame the price on Stone went way up. It really is a huge shame that nobody other than Ferland has developed in all this time that the Flames have been drafting for that size+skill/grit combo.

Put Prout in next game, maybe even Stone. It isn't like the D are playing defence effectively anyway. Maybe replace a couple with some old-school stay at home defensive defencemen. Maybe at least they can stay in position and help poor Hamonic block some shots.

I respect your posts, but I don't know if I agree with the whole not built for playoffs thing. I believe we've hit a buzz saw of a team with an amazing speed set. I don't think dressing a set of tough guys that can't keep up is the answer at all.

I've said it before. I believe that the problem is coming down to two things. Leadership and Experience.

I think that this team is pretty young and their playoff inexperience is catching up and causing them to panic when things aren't going their way.

I believe that the leaders have to do a stronger job of stepping up.

I felt that the team played ok in game one. They lost confidence in game two, and that confidence dropped through the floor tonight.

You have to be confident to drive an offensive play, we saw Johnny guessing a lot tonight, and that's unusual, we have a blue line that's backing off and that's confidence.

About the only guy that I saw confidence from besides Smith is Bennett, and Smith might be shattered after tonight.

The Flames have a big hill to climb. Sometimes in the playoffs simple is the best way and the Avs are playing that simple game very well. The Flames are trying to do too much and frankly being too cute.

I like the idea of finding a way to insert some speed into the lineup

I hate Brodie's game right now, like really hate it, and have hated it for a while.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 PM   #255
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Avs 6 Flames 2

Random musings...

- Sam Bennett is taking more steps in his development. He is more of a leader on the ice than Sean Monahan. Time to get this kid back to centre, and really work with him on developing his offensive game and gaining offensive confidence.

- Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau are failing this team. They aren’t dictating anything.

- Mikael Backlund is facing his first true “elite” level challenge. A 7 game series against an elite player, and he is getting absolutely decimated.

- TJ Brodie is being exposed

- I’m really happy for Mike Smith. I’ve never been a fan of his as a Flame, but to see a dude struggle for significant amounts of time only to show up when it matters the most is why I watch sports. That level of drama/excitement is truly enjoyable to witness.

- This is gut-check time for a lot of players on this team. They’ve already cut their teeth on the playoffs, Game 4 is the game where they need to take control and step up.

- I’m genuinely surprised by Matthew Tkachuk. He needs to do a better job on every inch of the ice.

- I’m a huge James Neal fan, but his foot speed is being exposed. I’ll cheer for him until he isn’t here anymore, but now is the time for him to step up.

- Mark Jankowski should not be a centre.

- Andrew Mangiapane is a gem.

- I am really intrigued to watch Game 4. We are going to learn a lot about this team in Game 4.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 PM   #256
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Highlight of the night is Poison’s avatar.
Quite proud of it yes. Dont draw too much attention tho..
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #257
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
They all die

That was the first part. Then there was the introduction of 1000+ new characters.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #258
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I changed the thread title.

As bad as the refs were, I think we should just stick to the score of the game and discuss everything else in this thread. The refs were terrible, but the Flames were worse.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #259
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe hammering us so hard this game will come back to bite the Avs.

Last vibes I got from a game like this in terms of making me question our core was Pittsburgh in october.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #260
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stop with GOT spoilers! Haven’t watched yet!
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote