Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #521
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dorion overplayed his hand and had to cave in the end. Brannstrom is a great prospect and Lindberg has been good for them, but yeah, looks like he initially shot for the moon and teams like Calgary passed. With less teams involved and little time left he had to settle for a bit less from Vegas in the end, I guess.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #522
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
OTT scouts must’ve liked Brannstrom more than Valimaki.
It is well known that Valimaki was not going to be involved in any trade and that the Flames Management must have liked Valimaki more than Stone.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #523
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Dorion overplayed his hand and had to cave in the end. Brannstrom is a great prospect and Lindberg has been good for them, but yeah, looks like he initially shot for the moon and teams like Calgary passed. With less teams involved and little time left he had to settle for a bit less from Vegas in the end, I guess.
Yes but Flames apparently circled back to Stone deal an hour before the deadline. But ask was still to high.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #524
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
Yes but Flames apparently circled back to Stone deal an hour before the deadline. But ask was still to high.
reportedly because they were unwilling to include Valimaki in any deal. Vegas was willing to give up Brannstrom on deadline day.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #525
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im not so sure he said that was the ask. I took it more as those were the pieces everyone was asking for and he wasnt giving those up. Some combination of those pieces.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #526
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
It is well known that Valimaki was not going to be involved in any trade and that the Flames Management must have liked Valimaki more than Stone.
I’m not sure it’s that simple...I imagine a one for one deal would get it done.

But losing 4 cost controlled valuable assets for Stone is a whole other story
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #527
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
OTT scouts must’ve liked Brannstrom more than Valimaki.
This.

I think Brannstrom was their #1 target in terms of young Dmen. (And after having Karlsson there for so long it wouldn't surprise me in terms of type of guy they wanted)

So if that's the case, then Dorian did the right thing. You have to listen to your scouts.

And again, just because that was the ask, that didn't preclude BT from countering with something else and was rebuffed.

I'm just happy that Cgy didn't go down that road...way too many assets, way too much money per year (11+ per would be the equivalent) all for one RW that would help this club no question, but at that cost the gains would be negligible IMO.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #528
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ask may have been that much at one point, but I think Ottawa caved in on price when the top prospect was included and the deadline ticked down.
Yeah, I think once Calgary walked away Vegas was probably the only one still there with their take it of leave it offer.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #529
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

There's no way Treliving would be out there saying that if it wasn't true. He's one of the most professional GMs ever. He wouldn't go lying about an ask, trying to make another GM look like a fool.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #530
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Suddenly, Mark Stone has only two assists in his last five games and the Flames just won the Division. He’s a good player but I remain so relieved that Treliving passed on this deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #531
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think Stone is a great player, but happy calgary bowed out of the trade talks...

no only was the trade ask too high, but Stone's salary would be a massive anchor by the its in the last 3 years imo.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #532
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tre has played his cards perfectly the past couple years. I'd rather take this team with Valimaki ready to be a top pairing D in 5 years.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #533
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

while I'm extremely happy that they didn't move Valimaki, I'm even happier they didn't move Raz. With three RDs out of contract next year, he's going to be key going forward. Hell, his play probably even allows them to trade Brodie this summer to create cap space. I think Raz is going to be a great top 4 defenseman ... and when he finally realizes how good his shot really is, the sky's the limit for him.

Stone is a great player, but we'd have created new holes and new cap problems and given up young assets that are clearly needed. Super happy they stayed away in the end.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #534
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was stome even playing when they lost to the sharks I was watching the game but didnt notice him at all
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #535
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Stone contract would have forced our hand to move players we may not have other wise been inclined to move.

But I don't think anyone should be worried about Stone not living up to his deal. Eight year contracts for 26 year old players are survivable.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #536
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Was Stone even playing when they lost to the sharks I was watching the game but didnt notice him at all
He played 16 mins and recorded 0 points. Mark Stone has 10 points in 15 games in VGK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #537
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i think Stone is a great player, but happy calgary bowed out of the trade talks...
I think even this is a bit of an exaggeration. Stone is a really good player. But he's a winger who is at a career high of 32 goals and 72 points. He does play elite level defence, but I'm not so sure a winger playing great defensively has the impact on a game that a good defensive center does. So you have a guy who's a good scorer, but not really elite....he's not a top 20 scorer, and hasn't played 80 games since his rookie season.

Of all the teams who made deadline moves, it really didn't help any of them move anywhere in the standings after the deadline. So the success of these deals will be determined by how these teams do in the playoffs. Although in the case of Stone, the VGK do add a guy who'll help them in the coming seasons, but I do think the dollars need to factor in here too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #538
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He played 16 mins and recorded 0 points. Mark Stone has 10 points in 15 games in VGK.
And yet Vegas is about to pay this guy 9.5m for 8 years just to put up .67PPG (at the moment).

Something tells me that age is going to catch up to Stone and he is only going to be a player that puts up .8PPG in Vegas.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #539
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I dont know. It's easy to be on one side now that it's done, but I wouldve given up Valimaki+ for Stone at that contract anyday.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #540
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
And yet Vegas is about to pay this guy 9.5m for 8 years just to put up .67PPG (at the moment).

Something tells me that age is going to catch up to Stone and he is only going to be a player that puts up .8PPG in Vegas.
Dont get me wrong, Stone is an effective player in the NHL today and any team would like to have him.

With that being said I agree, 9.5m for 8+ years is a long time, and with Stones lack of foot speed this is going to be an ugly contract as the game gets faster year after year.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote