Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2021, 05:33 PM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What’s the oldest thing you own?

And I don’t mean antiques (although those can be cool too)..

For context, today I bought a garbage can to replace the one in our kitchen (which still works fine but was showing it’s age cosmetically). We bought it when we first got married... over 18 years ago Still have some old bath towels and other household items (plates, cutlery) from that time as well.

I also have some beloved t-shirts in the rotation that I got back in 2008. Heck, I used to have a favourite collared shirt that I originally got in high school (circa late 90’s) that I only retired last year.

So what do you have that’s still (i) something that works well, or (ii) in use because you can’t seem to give it up? Am I destined to have these things for another 20 years?

But no decades-old underwear stories, please and thank you
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A pocket knife I got from my grandfather in 1975. No idea how long he had it for before I got it.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

When my grandma died I got a coffee cup that I remember using when I used to go to her house for lunch during school, which would have been like grade 1 or something.

I'm not sure how long she had it before I was born either.

So could be 50+ years old.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What’s the oldest thing you own?

If the criteria is the oldest thing I purchased (or had purchased for me) then maybe my first acoustic guitar - 45 years old. If it’s the oldest thing handed down to me then watercolours my grandmother painted a hundred years ago.

edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ both are very cool.

I don’t think there are any rules. On another thread I shared a watch that my dad gave me about 20 years ago that my grandpa used to own. I’m guessing it’s at least 50 years old...
Old 08-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a plain black Nike basketball jersey that I bought around 1995 which is still in my closet. I don't wear it but I honestly could if I wanted to. When I bought it as a kid it was huge on me as oversized clothes were kind of the style back then. I finally grew into it.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

my grandfather's pocket watch - more than 100 years old
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #8
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Probably this Lego set from 1980. Luckily my mom saved it from when I was a kid.

I have records from the 60s but that's not very uncommon.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #9
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have a plain black Nike basketball jersey that I bought around 1995 which is still in my closet. I don't wear it but I honestly could if I wanted to. When I bought it as a kid it was huge on me as oversized clothes were kind of the style back then. I finally grew into it.
You should break out that bad boy before summer is over. Sun’s out, guns out!
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

My house I guess? Moved in last fall. Place was built in 1912 so it’s easily the oldest thing I own.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My ProLinear speakers and my Technics turntable from 1976. Bought them new and still sound great. Also a Technics amp and cassette player same vintage. Amp has been worked on a few times though.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Last edited by keratosis; 08-21-2021 at 07:08 PM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #12
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have lots of stuff that is old, but I have a pair of shorts from Junior High when we won our division in inter-school soccer....these shorts are 18 years old and I STILL use them for mixed league soccer.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krynski For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 07:27 PM   #13
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keeping to things I actually bought since you said not including antiques, you just made me realize I'm still using the same crappy toaster I bought when I first moved out at 18.

Older than that I guess would be a Gibson Les Paul I saved for and bought at 16 or 17

Last edited by btimbit; 08-22-2021 at 01:43 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #14
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I have a copy of The Golden Treasure: A Manual of Catholic Devotion given to my great grandmother by someone named Sister Ethel Montague in Fosterton, Sask. It was published in 1924.

Spoiler for size.

Spoiler!

For everyday items, I’ve had the same pair of sunglasses for 20 years. They’re still pretty much mint. Had them tuned up and replaced the lenses but otherwise they’re still going strong.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #15
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

My piano is 94 years old. I got it from my mom several years ago and ignored it for quite awhile. A few years ago, I decided if I was going to keep it, I should see if it was still play-able. Needed the pitch raised and a fine tuning, but it sounds pretty good! I also had my old piano books, from when I took lessons as a kid, since my mom saves everything and they were still in the bench.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #16
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Actually I recently moved and gave away a bunch of tshirts and shorts that were still in excellent condition. I had a shirt my girlfriend bought me when I was 16. It was a nice shirt but it was time to move on lol.

I also realized I have two stackable end tables that I’m pretty sure my parents got as a wedding gift. They’re small, sturdy, the small one slides into the larger on. Some quality tables. My drink is on one right now.

Huh. Interesting. I texted my mother and she says my grandmother brought them back from India in 1974. Neat.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-21-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #17
StevenAbootman
Draft Pick

For things I actually bought would have to be some hockey cards from 1981 that I would buy after hockey practice.
Oldest item just sitting around in the house by far would be a diary written from 1888-1892 by my great great grandma. Cool part about it is it about her travels from England to Winnipeg to Calgary when she was in her mid 20s. I have spent a good amount of time looking at some of the places mentioned in it, pretty much none of it exists anymore (The Royal Hotel, Grand Central Hotel, Opera House).
StevenAbootman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenAbootman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #18
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Probably this Lego set from 1980. Luckily my mom saved it from when I was a kid.

I have records from the 60s but that's not very uncommon.

I’ve got that one too! Probably the 3rd space series set I got back then. Still have the 928 space cruiser

Oldest thing I use would be my Grandfather’s old compressor hoses from the farm. Guessing from the 60’s or 70’s
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #19
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I own a silver spur, worn by my great uncle who was a captain in WWI. The rowel, or spinning part at the back of the spur, is a punctured quarter of Queen Victoria.

I also own a slide rule that I used in University in the 50s, and as a geologist in the 60s.

I also own one of the first calculators. It was made by Commodore and cost me $ 350.00...something you can buy today for $5.00.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #20
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

35mm Pentax camera from 1970's I "borrowed" from my Dad when I took photography lessons in Jr. high and haven't returned back to him. Took many memorable pictures when growing up until digital cameras and cell phones became more norm. It's sitting in my daughter's bedroom that she "borrowed" now as she is into retro.

I, also, have a couple of custom hand-made dress shirts that I got in 1995 while traveling in Asia. I have outgrown them for many years, but after losing over 20 lbs during COVID, they fit again! I wear them time to time to remember good old times.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote