Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2021, 09:10 PM   #121
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s probably going to be Rupert. Would be a bit of a full circle
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:56 AM   #122
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1429066182330654724
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #123
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

And Apple TV has already responded.

Quote:
"We like our high-profile celebrity arbitration just like Roy Kent: hard packaging on the outside, but soft goodness on the inside. Biscuits are on their way," the streaming service tweeted Saturday.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 12:33 AM   #124
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

My prediction for the show is that Roy Kent eventually takes over as head coach and Ted goes home to be with his family, especially if it's done after 3 seasons as speculated. It would fit in perfectly with the theme of the show where Ted isn't a results guy, he's not there to turn the club in to a winning team. He's there to help everyone be the best version of themselves, and that includes making Roy the head coach that will turn Richmond into a winning team
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #125
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

what is up with Nate, he's the only character on the show not carrying the feel good vibe or making you root for him. in S1 he had a nice (if predictable) arc starting off as the abused/ignored towel boy and using his savvy to gain the team's trust and move up to assistant coach.

so far in S2 he started off by bullying the new towel boy, and this restaurant table assertiveness thing was just so odd. he horks on a public bathroom mirror, goes super over the top to get the window seats (he couldn't have just started off with "excuse me, that table over there appears to be unoccupied, may we move to that spot please?") and makes an unwanted romantic advance. and then the standard "small victories" music plays in the background as he smugly grins to himself while taking the seat...I dunno about that, hopefully it's an intentional thing where he's flying off the rails and Ted has to reel him in cause he's wrecking my TL positive energy.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #126
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Nate character has regressed from someone you root for to very unlikeable
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #127
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, I still like him. He's just finding his voice for the first time in his life. Clearly there's a backstory with his father that they're only just starting to touch on.

As people develop they rarely do it perfectly, so I appreciate the small missteps he has along the way. It feels more authentic.

Does anyone still hate Jamie Tart? I doubt it. Is he a substantially different person? In some ways yes he's a better person, but in other ways he's still incredibly self-involved. I can appreciate that complexity in a character.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #128
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Does anyone still hate Jamie Tart? I doubt it. Is he a substantially different person? In some ways yes he's a better person, but in other ways he's still incredibly self-involved. I can appreciate that complexity in a character.
Jamie started off as a dick (though hugely entertaining even then) and then they spent a lot of time on him both through S1 and S2 giving his backstory and shaping him through the interactions and experiences with everyone. I don't think anyone's fooled that he's 100% rehabilitated yet, but the arc was smooth and nearly perfect for him.

Nate seems to have gone from insecure mousey yet polite guy to insecure dick in between seasons which is why it was confusing seeing him push the towel boy around because he should have understood what being in that role was like. he doesn't get nearly the same screen time as Jamie so it would be tougher anyways to get the same believable transition, but I still kept expecting someone like Ted or Beard to comment on it.

anyhow this show is good enough that I'll trust them to play it out properly, but until then I wouldn't mind seeing him get knocked down a peg or three.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #129
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I imagine Nate's arc has him moving to a different role (probably not back to the equipment guy - but something similar with more "cache") while becoming more assertive and confident?

I think the "bullying" with respect to the new towel boy suggests his heart is still in that place, so to speak
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #130
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Brilliant. Didn’t even think of that.

They did make a point of throwing in a line about him no longer with his girlfriend.
I think its going to be someone beneath Ted who is then going to be elevated to being Ted's Boss and Ted is going to deal with it the way Ted does.

With biscuits.

Yeah. I think its Coach Beard.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #131
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I love the Nathan evolution, personally. It wouldn't be realistic if he went from bullied to super-leader. The path to empathetic, fully-realized Nathan almost requires he be a massive d*** for a time.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #132
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had assumed early in the season that Ted was going to need to seek help from Dr Sharon for his own problems, but maybe with the way this season is going, it's Nate who'll need it more.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #133
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

"How's Mrs. Beard doing?"
"Full blown Qanon."
"Yep."

Amazing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2021, 12:30 AM   #134
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Jamie started off as a dick (though hugely entertaining even then) and then they spent a lot of time on him both through S1 and S2 giving his backstory and shaping him through the interactions and experiences with everyone. I don't think anyone's fooled that he's 100% rehabilitated yet, but the arc was smooth and nearly perfect for him.

Nate seems to have gone from insecure mousey yet polite guy to insecure dick in between seasons which is why it was confusing seeing him push the towel boy around because he should have understood what being in that role was like. he doesn't get nearly the same screen time as Jamie so it would be tougher anyways to get the same believable transition, but I still kept expecting someone like Ted or Beard to comment on it.

anyhow this show is good enough that I'll trust them to play it out properly, but until then I wouldn't mind seeing him get knocked down a peg or three.
It's actually quite an authentic arc for people like him in real life. Previously bullied or held down individuals will often act out and hold down/abuse those that they stood beside if given a better role/lot in life. Part of it is a survival technique, to continue to elevate above that life, as they are scared to fall back there.

Also, they were always going to have conflict and poor characters at times. It would be absurd and not what people actually wanted to see if everyone just went along, mostly happy and positive for 3 seasons.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-28-2021 at 12:33 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #135
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in case what you were missing your life was the guy who plays Nate doing insane card tricks.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #136
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
"How's Mrs. Beard doing?"
"Full blown Qanon."
"Yep."

Amazing.
It's the line before that sets it up so perfectly though!

"I love meeting people's moms. It's like reading an instruction manual to why they're nuts."

In the middle of an episode with a good deal about the toxic relationship that Beard can't seem to get out of, it becomes way more than just the hilarous throwaway joke it could otherwise be.

I just love the writing on this show and this episode is one of my favorites.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #137
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
It's the line before that sets it up so perfectly though!

"I love meeting people's moms. It's like reading an instruction manual to why they're nuts."

In the middle of an episode with a good deal about the toxic relationship that Beard can't seem to get out of, it becomes way more than just the hilarous throwaway joke it could otherwise be.

I just love the writing on this show and this episode is one of my favorites.
I'm with you on that. Setup and knockdown. It was perfect.

I'm still 100% Team Higgins, I love the premise that he doesnt have an office and what he does and that he is the office transient.

And Roy Kent. I thought they'd have difficulty with such a one-dimensional, angry character but he is a perfect foil.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #138
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No comments about Sam and Rebecca’s budding online romance?

Never saw that one coming.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #139
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah, talk about a plot twist. I was 50% thinking Ted up until the episode started, then it went all the way to 100% right up until they finally revealed who it was.

Bit of a letdown, to be honest. I mean I really like Sam, but I just can't see him with Rebecca. He's just so... I dunno... quiet? I mean it's not like Rebecca's loud or anything like that, but she does have a very commanding presence in any room she's in -- and I just think Sam would get dwarfed by her. Does that make sense at all?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #140
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

If watching TV has taught me anything, it’s that Rebecca will fall for a multimillionaire but he ends up in jail due to white collar crime, after which she and Sam will sleep together and mess up the office, but it doesn’t lead anywhere, and she will end up marrying a plumber.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote