Default Unpopular Opinions about Flames

Anyone here have something to share?
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 10-04-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we really need a thread for this? And nothing to share yourself?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well hopefully without sounding like a huge downer or just an idiot, how about the opinion that the Flames are deep, but at a sort of mediocre level - like think about our center depth - Monahan, Backlund, Ryan, Jankowski, Dube, possibly Bennett. Pretty great. But think about dropping in Kadri as a #2 and wow, the team looks a LOT stronger suddenly, because Backs is a strong 3rd line center. And Janko's replaceable, that's just... a fact, no?

Right wing is thin and Frolik's showing the other night was enough to have people calling for his demotion to the AHL. So that ain't great.

So... our depth isn't so good. And where teams like, say, the Avs we used to say didn't have much depth, having only really one dangerous line, suddenly they look a little (or a lot in some cases) deeper this year, like the kids are growing up.

In summary, I guess my "unpopular opinion" is that the Flames are a good team, but they aren't genuinely deep up front (defense I think is better, and Hanifin might be showing some offense that he didn't last year, woot), and that our depth is moot against teams with crazy talent. (This was brought up on Steinberg's show today I believe, and I've been thinking about it since.)

Here's another unpopular opinion: Peters didn't do anything in the playoffs, and he didn't have an effective game plan for the game the other night. So maybe he doesn't have another "gear" as a coach? I dunno, coaching's REALLY hard to judge for me.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Sam Bennett and Mike Smith are your best players in the playoffs, one may want to look at the performance of the Flames top paid and supposed top players.

Yes, they were exceptional most of the regular season, but if the aforementioned secondary and tertiary regular season players are your best in a playoff situation, that’s a huge problem.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 PM   #6
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
Well hopefully without sounding like a huge downer or just an idiot, how about the opinion that the Flames are deep, but at a sort of mediocre level - like think about our center depth - Monahan, Backlund, Ryan, Jankowski, Dube, possibly Bennett. Pretty great. But think about dropping in Kadri as a #2 and wow, the team looks a LOT stronger suddenly, because Backs is a strong 3rd line center. And Janko's replaceable, that's just... a fact, no?

Right wing is thin and Frolik's showing the other night was enough to have people calling for his demotion to the AHL. So that ain't great.

So... our depth isn't so good. And where teams like, say, the Avs we used to say didn't have much depth, having only really one dangerous line, suddenly they look a little (or a lot in some cases) deeper this year, like the kids are growing up.

In summary, I guess my "unpopular opinion" is that the Flames are a good team, but they aren't genuinely deep up front (defense I think is better, and Hanifin might be showing some offense that he didn't last year, woot), and that our depth is moot against teams with crazy talent. (This was brought up on Steinberg's show today I believe, and I've been thinking about it since.)

Here's another unpopular opinion: Peters didn't do anything in the playoffs, and he didn't have an effective game plan for the game the other night. So maybe he doesn't have another "gear" as a coach? I dunno, coaching's REALLY hard to judge for me.
Literally, almost the same team that finished 2nd of 31 teams over an 82 game schedule.
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:29 PM   #7
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
When Sam Bennett and Mike Smith are your best players in the playoffs, one may want to look at the performance of the Flames top paid and supposed top players.

Yes, they were exceptional most of the regular season, but if the aforementioned secondary and tertiary regular season players are your best in a playoff situation, that’s a huge problem.

Fair for the skaters, but Rittich was hurt and Smith improbably played the best 5 games of his career so we can probably leave the goalies out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #8
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

While Mikael Backlund is better defensively, and Sean Monahan is better offensively, Sam Bennett is the Flames' most complete center and could really impact the game if he were logging 18+ minutes a game with quality wingers.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #9
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
While Mikael Backlund is better defensively, and Sean Monahan is better offensively, Sam Bennett is the Flames' most complete center and could really impact the game if he were logging 18+ minutes a game with quality wingers.
LOL. Surely, you are kidding.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #10
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

My unpopular opinion is fairly well known: that the Flames will have a hard time winning with Johnny Gaudreau as their top forward, and next summer they should seriously consider trading him to maximize his value.

Other unpopular opinions I've had:
- Fighting should eliminated completely from the game
- The definition of a hit needs to be re-shaped, to only be about separately puck from player and nothing more
- Theo Fleury is not an all time great Flame, and does not deserve to have his number retired or be honored by the club.
- The organization has been to quick to fire General Managers with Al Coates in particular getting a raw deal. With more time, Button would have also been a good GM. I'm very relieved by the commitment being shown to GMBT
- Iginla is the best Flames of all time but did the club a real dis-service by how he handled his NTC during his final season. He was also a major issue in his final few seasons by undermining the coach and not playing a strong two way game, creating a divide in the locker room, with Regehr on the other side.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 10-04-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:47 PM   #11
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You're right, that will be unpopular.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #12
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont much like puck hog Gaudreau. Elite playmaker Gaudreau is fine, but I hate how when the chips are down the playbook shortens to Johnny must have the puck at all times. I hate it.

The infatuation Flames fans have with the Oilers and their well being or lack there of, dumbest thing I ever did see. A lot of "Flames fans" spend far too much time following the team up the road. It's rather disgusting.

I dont much like David Rittich. Fools gold.

I dont think the Flames do much this year. Gambling on the exact same squad with lateral moves in Lucic and Talbot put this team on the bubble.

I think I did this right.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #13
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I dont much like puck hog Gaudreau. Elite playmaker Gaudreau is fine, but I hate how when the chips are down the playbook shortens to Johnny must have the puck at all times. I hate it.

The infatuation Flames fans have with the Oilers and their well being or lack there of, dumbest thing I ever did see. A lot of "Flames fans" spend far too much time following the team up the road. It's rather disgusting.

I dont much like David Rittich. Fools gold.

I dont think the Flames do much this year. Gambling on the exact same squad with lateral moves in Lucic and Talbot put this team on the bubble.

I think I did this right.
Yet they were 2nd in the NHL over 82 games. How does that put them on the bubble?
Old 10-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #14
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yet they were 2nd in the NHL over 82 games. How does that put them on the bubble?
Yeah, that was last year. Is every single team in the nhl the same from last year? No. How many conference teams improved? Anyway, unpopular opinion thread etc etc. I just have this nagging feeling in my gut we pick real high this year.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #15
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yeah, that was last year. Is every single team in the nhl the same from last year? No. How many conference teams improved? Anyway, unpopular opinion thread etc etc. I just have this nagging feeling in my gut we pick real high this year.
Just my opinion, but skepticism bordering on cynicism.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #16
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

CP complains too much about the refs
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to カナダ人です For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 11:14 PM   #17
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unpopular opinion: Brodie is good and should be re-signed, as long as the dollar value starts with a 5.
#-3
Old 10-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #18
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
CP complains too much about the refs
Agreed. They’re right 95 +% of the time. That would be more than acceptable for most people, in their occupations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #19
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Literally, almost the same team that finished 2nd of 31 teams over an 82 game schedule.
literally, the 2nd best team in the league that got its ass kicked in the first round of the playoffs.
Flames have lots of talent, but are brittle as all get out.
Lots to prove if they can get to the playoffs.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #20
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Unpopular opinion: Brodie is good and should be re-signed, as long as the dollar value starts with a 5.
or a 3
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wired For This Useful Post: