Croatia absolutely dominates Turkey.

Gets a 1-1 draw. Barf.

3 crossbars in the first half alone.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #42
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see France held to a scoreless draw by Belarus. That might be the biggest surprise of the first round of WC qualifying. Waaay too much talent in that France squad to score nothing against a real minnow.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #43
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I see France held to a scoreless draw by Belarus. That might be the biggest surprise of the first round of WC qualifying. Waaay too much talent in that France squad to score nothing against a real minnow.
Well France could not beat the Ronaldo-less minnows of Portugal in the European final at home. There are real problems with Deschamps.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #44
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did anyone catch any of the 2016 Futsal World Cup matches that were on TV yesterday? I watched a couple of them and they were rather interesting. Due to the size of competition, I've always thought that Calgary or Alberta could probably host it rather easily. Maybe we should try hosting the CONCACAF championship and build toward the WC.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #45
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up tickets for the Italy vs Spain Qualifier on October 6th in Turin.

Pretty pumped for that.

Forza Azzurri!
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #46
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard that newer stadium in Turin is actually sweet. Very intimate and good for crowd atmosphere.

Apparently the old one was world class for bad atmosphere. And drafts.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #47
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Did anyone catch any of the 2016 Futsal World Cup matches that were on TV yesterday? I watched a couple of them and they were rather interesting. Due to the size of competition, I've always thought that Calgary or Alberta could probably host it rather easily. Maybe we should try hosting the CONCACAF championship and build toward the WC.
lots of different countries in this. Perhaps its more of an equalizer? i'm told the Solomon Islands are pretty good. The powerhouses are the usual suspects, Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Italy.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #48
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Euro 2020 going all over Europe with a London final

https://twitter.com/UEFAEURO/status/778569195353206784

Spoiler!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #49
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup they've been saying it for a while.

I love it but if I was European I'd be pretty pissed. Makes it a lot harder to see your team play multiple games.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #50
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is it harder?

It's cheaper to just fly return to and from the games than stay parked in a city or two in one country.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #51
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what team is going to get punished with the Baku to Dublin or Bilbao flight? I like the concept of multiple cities across Europe hosting, but a potential 9 hour flight between games is ridiculous.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #52
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

lol Azerbaijan.

Somewhere, someone had a dumptruck full of money brought to their house. I can't believe they are actually going to play in that scum country (FTR the people aren't scum, just the government/police etc). And here I thought maybe some lessons had been learned from awarding the world cup to Qatar.

"That Azerbaijan Euro presentation...Let's just say it moved me...TO A BIGGER HOUSE!. Oops I said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet."
- UEFA representative at meeting to decide host cities.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-21-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:08 AM   #53
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

That 2020 tournament was Platinis baby, so of course a part of it is shady. You can't expect a noble man like him to pass up that sweet Azerbaijan money, can you?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #54
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Why is it harder?

It's cheaper to just fly return to and from the games than stay parked in a city or two in one country.
It's only "cheap" to fly between the major centers. You're not getting to Dublin, Budapest, Bucharest or Copenhagen for overly cheap. The flights between cities like that still come out to around $200 on EasyJet or RyanAir and then you also don't have your car there to get around between off days.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #55
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

But you don't have off days. You fly there, you fly home. You don't rent cars, you don't rent hotels.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #56
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
It's only "cheap" to fly between the major centers. You're not getting to Dublin, Budapest, Bucharest or Copenhagen for overly cheap. The flights between cities like that still come out to around $200 on EasyJet or RyanAir and then you also don't have your car there to get around between off days.
Isn't RyanAir based in Dublin?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #57
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is.

What is harder about this is the ability to make it a one month vacation. For Europeans that actually want to go watch their team, this is actually fantastic. Instead of taking off stretches of time, you can take off a couple days a few times, fly in and out, and save a ton of money.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #58
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
That 2020 tournament was Platinis baby, so of course a part of it is shady. You can't expect a noble man like him to pass up that sweet Azerbaijan money, can you?
How did Almaty not get a game then? Kazakhstan is pretty well know for its corruption. I suppose they can't offer as nice a seaside house as Azerbaijan can though.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #59
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news England fans, Big Sam may already be on his way out.

Quote:
Sam Allardyce used his position as England manager to negotiate a £400,000 deal and offered advice to businessmen on how to “get around” FA rules on player transfers, The Telegraph can disclose.

Before he had even held his first training session as England’s new head coach, Allardyce negotiated a deal with men purporting to represent a Far East firm that was hoping to profit from the Premier League’s billion-pound transfer market.

He agreed to travel to Singapore and Hong Kong as an ambassador and explained to the “businessmen” how they could circumvent Football Association rules which prohibit third parties “owning” players.

Unbeknown to Allardyce, the businessmen were undercover reporters and he was being filmed as part of a 10-month Telegraph investigation that separately unearthed widespread evidence of bribery and corruption in British football.

Over the course of two meetings, lasting four hours in total, Allardyce told the fictitious businessmen that it was “not a problem” to bypass the rules introduced by his employers in 2008.

He said he knew of certain agents who were “doing it all the time” and added: “You can still get around it. I mean obviously the big money’s here.”

During Allardyce’s meetings with the reporters he also:

- Criticised his predecessor Roy Hodgson, dubbing him “Woy” and saying that he “hasn’t got the personality” for public speaking;

- Said England’s players were underperforming because they had a “psychological barrier” and “can’t cope”;

- Suggested that players who were not being played for their club should not be picked for England;

- Described the FA decision to redevelop Wembley as “stupid”.

The issue of “third party ownership” in football has been described as “slavery”. It effectively allows companies to own a stake in a footballer. The FA led the way by banning the practice in 2008 and football’s world governing body, Fifa, followed in 2015.

Allardyce, 61, told his prospective employers it was “not a problem” to dodge the “ridiculous” rules.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...dyce-for-sale/
Old 09-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus....that was probably his first day.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote