Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #201
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Per Friedman on 31 thoughts podcast, it sounds like teammates got annoyed with him constantly referring to what it was like in Vegas. Seems it might have been worthwhile to embrace a bit of that insight, but maybe this team already knows everything it needs to know about playing hockey in May and June.

The fact that Neal seems to have been a problem for this team is a problem. But I'm sure a few posters will stop by without revealing details of their insider info on why blames is 100% on Neal.
I’m glad Neal is gone and I do believe he was less than useless when here.

But many people seem to think the players on the team just didn’t want him back so that’s why Treliving had no choice but to trade for Lucic. Given what this team has accomplished, maybe the locker room shouldn’t be so influential in these decisions.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #202
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
The Blues had a historic turnaround. The chances of another team replicating that one year later are astronomically low. The Blues also canned their coach and called up a goalie. Peters isn’t getting fired and goaltending has been one of the only positives. Thus likely only gets fixed from the inside. Gut check time for the roster.
Good points.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:08 PM   #203
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Johnnys got Springsteen on repeat. Bring in a pro.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:10 PM   #204
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sharks have won 6 straight, damn. Rear view mirror Flames look in it.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #205
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Dunno if this was posted elsewhere...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1195947180864835584
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 11:29 PM   #206
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad i tuned out today.

This team hopefully gets their ass kicked tomorrow too.

Blow it up already. This gm needs to have everyone and their sister tell them a player is useless before they refuse to fall in love with roster.

It's a bad team. A weak group.

Last edited by bubbsy; 11-16-2019 at 11:32 PM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #207
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
People writing off the season with 60 games to go when team currently in a playoff spot.

Never change CP.
Exactly. Don't change a thing, they'll figure it out soon. This is the Calgary flames, that's what this franchise do, just check out the 2,5,10,20,30 year history.

It's an amazing franchise that has set the standard on how to be above average.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #208
puckbrain
Draft Pick

i'm beginning to believe these players don't want to be here.......

Last edited by puckbrain; 11-16-2019 at 11:41 PM.
puckbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:39 PM   #209
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

time is running out on this group imo...

if the flames don't pick it up by US thanksgiving, ie being a few games over .500, i think they'll pull the trigger on some kind of trade.

Brodie would have been the obvious candidate, but with the uncertainty around his health, that appears to be off the table...

Shame Calgary wasn't able to trade for Pageau; kid has turned the corner this year.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #210
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Execution is the issue.
Last season they were making all their passes,controlling the middle of the ice with rapid puck movement and puck support. Moving the puck up the ice that way forces opposition D to back off and creates blue line turnovers to feast on.
The execution is not there yet this season.
Way too early to write anyone off. Did anyone see the Blues last year before Christmas? Not saying the Flames are that team, but they didn't suddenly become bad players or forget how to play. They just aren't executing consistently.
Practice practice practice.
Totally this. They can’t make - or take - a pass most parts of most games. The impact is huge. Players circle back so they rarely attack with numbers or speed. Opposing teams look amazing on D and everyone on the flames looks slow and crappy.

They’re holding their own on puck battles, getting good goaltending, and defending reasonably well most nights. Poor talent or character teams of past flames years would be done by now. This team is still in it.

They still have to get their #### sorted though.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 12:07 AM   #211
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

on the bright side, at least we actually have our own first round draft pick this year.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #212
Britflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sorry people but this team has blown it, there just isn’t the desire and effort on any given night. Way to small, way way to soft and they are currently totally disengaged. Time to move Johnny on, he won’t be staying any way so may as well get as much as we can for him. May need to move Mony as well if he breaks into tears when Johnny goes. Perhaps he is better suited to second line duties although to me he is too soft. If you move those two on you should be able to pick up some very good young players, they must be able to play the physical game and give a s..t.

I want to see a 2004 type team that hated losing and always sent a message if they did. I cannot believe these professional sportsmen who are payed a fortune need to be coached to give a damn. There will be many people on this site who will play hockey at silly time times of the night and in not the best conditions who will go out with more determination, guts and hate to lose every time they play than these so called professionals.
Britflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #213
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Posted without reading the rest of this thread but there is something fundamentaly flawed about the team this year. I dont know whether it is the system, a problem in the dressing room (which I could believe until the fracas at the end of the 2nd when everyone stood up for each other) or just a down year but there is something.
Passes are off, in the skates or behind players, shots are just not going in, the D seem to be unable to make a pass out of the zone, everything is disjointed.
I don't know what the answer is but it is on everyone from players, to coach to management to get a hold of this fast or it could spiral down hil worse than it currently is.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:14 AM   #214
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The Blues were also DEAD LAST Jan 1...much worse spot than the Flames are now
Blues are such an interesting case study in general, but I clearly remember our game around Christmas time and thinking how lucky we were to get them early because that team was better than their record. The issue with the Blues was that they could not play a normal system because their goalie was letting in shots from everywhere. You could see as soon as the puck was turned over it would turn into a fire drill. As soon as the players could count on their goalie to make average saves, everyone started being able to play.

On the Flames...I am not sure if a single ingredient like this exists. There is a chance that a top 6 RW (which is what Frolik was last year and is not this year), could slide everyone down into an appropriate position. I am not confident in this. Veterans like Backlund, Frolik, Bennett and Mangiapane couldn't hit the side of a barn right now. This essentially neutralizes our 2nd line and leaves us with a 1st, 2x3rds and a 4th. There is no threat from the other lines and so teams can just focus on our 1st. The hope both from a long term financial standpoint and this season standpoint is that either internally or externally, one modification to that right wing spot gets Backlunds head back in the game and everything falls into place.

I think we probably need two forwards...
Old 11-17-2019, 05:16 AM   #215
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can tell if the Flames are going to win based on the distance between the defense and forwards. Even late first and first 10 minutes of the 2nd, at least one, but often up to 3 flames forwards were cherry picking at the offensive blue line. It's slow hockey and everytime you get picked off on a low percentage pass you give up possession.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #216
Brodieyouevenlift
Scoring Winger

Exp:

2 steps forward, 1 step back since 1980.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Brodieyouevenlift For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #217
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but split the ####ing first line up already. We have depth issues, Johnny and Lindholm can drag anyone around, so can Tkachuk and Monahan. That leaves Backlund on the 3rd line with Ryan and they alternate face offs. Wingers rotate through the three pairs.

A shame Brodie is ill. We're one top six/nine forward short and HAD good D depth....

Now it's all on the first line.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #218
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Derek Ryan has 9 points and Backlund has 8.

Backlunds most frequent linemate leads the team in points while Ryan's most frequent linemate is Bennett.

How is this even possible?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #219
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Derek Ryan has 9 points and Backlund has 8.

Backlunds most frequent linemate leads the team in points while Ryan's most frequent linemate is Bennett.

How is this even possible?
PP, OT. The odd line juggling. Surprised this escaped notice.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #220
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodieyouevenlift View Post
2 steps forward, 1 step back since 1980.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
If only it was 2 forward, 1 back... we would actually be moving.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post: