Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Which RW should Treliving target?

It’s obvious the right side needs a major upgrade. When you depth chart is Lindholm (1st liner), Frolik (bottom 6), Bennett (bottom 6), Reider (4th liner/healthy scratch) that’s not going to cut it. But with zero cap space and not a lot of quality blue chip prospects the options aren’t abundant. I’ve only included players from teams near the basement and more likely to be sellers.

Jason Zucker
Treliving targeted him before and with Minnesota in the basement, I can see him circle back to this. He’s on pace for a solid 52 points but he’s signed for 3 more years after this year at 5.5 million, plus he has a NMC. Salary would have to go back the other way and obviously Treliving would have to offer a quality sweetener.

Kevin Fiala
Also from Minnesota, on pace for 40+ points and easily controlled as an RFA after his current deal which runs one more year at 3 million. Only 23 years old so lots of room for growth.

Tyler Toffoli
UFA at the end of the year with a 4.6 million dollar cap hit. He’s never reached gotten to the 50 point plateau since he’s peak of 58, 5 years ago so the acquisition cost wouldn’t be insane. He’s only 27 so there is the possibility of a resurgence with a new team.

Jeff Carter/Dustin Brown
Similar situation with both. Both 34+ years old both deals expire in 2022/23 (Carter 5.875M and Brown 5.27M). Browns on pace for 43 points, Carter 30 points. Acquisition cost should be dirt cheap due to their contracts.

Kyle Palmieri
50+ points in 4 of the last 5 years and on pace for exactly 50 this year. Signed for just one more year after this year at 4.65 million but also has a NTC. 28 years old. Acquisition cost probably somewhere between Zucker and Toffoli.

Anthony Duclair
Seems to have found some stability after a few years of questionable attitude issues. Only 24, on pace for 39 points, RFA at the end of the year and a cheap contract at 1.65 million. (I was debating adding Connor Brown from Ottawa but he’s young and their second leading scorer so I don’t think Ottawa would unload him without a very sweetheart deal).

I didn’t include players that aren’t a clear upgrade on who we currently have (Wayne Simmonds, Andrew Shaw, etc.) or players that are core pieces of a rebuilding team (Pavel Buchnevich, Anthony Mantha, etc.). Would hope to be able not to include a first round pick for any acquisition but I think some GM’s will be pushing hard for it.

Last edited by MisterJoji; 11-16-2019 at 09:54 PM.
MisterJoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If they go for a RW, Kasperi Kapanen.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember this other thread.. from like a week ago: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=176371
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

None of the above. Sell off and restock the cupboards.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya this thread is dejavu
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Toffoli for a couple draft picks and a cap dump (Frolik?)

- Nylander for Brodie (with an extension in place), Bennett and a pick.

I really think Toronto will cut ties with Nylander before long, Kapanen is still on a cheap contract.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Nylander
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Toffoli
Mangiapane - Backlund - Ryan
Lucic - Jankowski - Rieder
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

None of the above. He should be targetting a 2nd line C and using Backlund and picks/prospects as bait. Adding another winger to upgrade the RW is great but I think the 2nd line C is more important.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mark Stone
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Claim Pirri
Convert to RW
Profit

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Mark Stone
Your post doesn’t say enough.

= no cap for the re-signing of Tkachuk, Tkachuk traded from either an offer sheet or in another picks kind of deal.

= no Valimaki

No thanks.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Mark Stone
How is Stone working out for Vegas?
Crushing first round defeat followed by mediocre under-performance.
Reminds me of the Flames.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #12
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Lol.

My mark stone comment was flippant but he is everything this team was missing and if the league doesn't screw over the knights with one of the worst penalties we've seen in decades stone and the knights likely March to the final.

Stone had TWELVE points in a 7 game series. 6 goals.

He's an elite player. There's no argument for him not significantly improving the flames.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 11-17-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

A center is just as critical or more so than a RW with Backlund’s offensive struggles and Jankowski falling completely off a cliff
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #14
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Umm, what?
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vilzeh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #15
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lol, the Stone fantasy again.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #16
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I couldn’t name the specific winger they should acquire but for me the key is what that winger would bring to the table. IMO the Flames need someone with some intensity who is capable of playing in the top 6. The top 6 with the exception of Tkachuk is a pretty mild mannered bunch. In a perfect world that winger would also be a proven winner.

Acquiring a winger with these attributes is easier said that done unfortunately.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 39 View Post
I couldn’t name the specific winger they should acquire but for me the key is what that winger would bring to the table. IMO the Flames need someone with some intensity who is capable of playing in the top 6. The top 6 with the exception of Tkachuk is a pretty mild mannered bunch. In a perfect world that winger would also be a proven winner.

Acquiring a winger with these attributes is easier said that done unfortunately.
Josh Andersson please. He’s having a down year and with all the first round picks Columbus has given up maybe he might be available.
Pickle Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #18
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

On the Stone front, he was on the last 31 Thoughts podcast and Friedman and Marek mentioned that it was known Vegas was going to be his ultimate landing spot, even if he was traded to a different team at the deadline. He agreed and said he was only interested in signing in Vegas.

Of course, that could be a lie but it also fits given his personal relationship with Kelly McCrimmon.

Mark Stone would have been a great fit, but it feels pretty safe to assume he would have been a pure rental last year given his desire to sign in Vegas and frankly our financial inability to sign him anyways. I'm happy with not trading Pelletier, Valimaki (and Andersson if you believe those rumours) for a couple months of Stone and likely an early playoff exit anyways.

Of course, that won't stop the whining about missing out on him but I think it's worth realizing we likely would have lost him in July anyways after paying a large price for him.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #19
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pretty much zero chance we would sell the farm for a rental give Tre more credit than that, an extension would have been in place.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #20
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Pretty much zero chance we would sell the farm for a rental give Tre more credit than that, an extension would have been in place.
Yes, which is possibly the reason the trade didn't happen.

Friedman: "You said when you were talking about your future with your representative, you said Vegas was the one place you wanted to go. Was there anywhere else where you thought 'I may end up here for the time being'?"

Stone: "Yeah, there was lots of teams I thought maybe I was going to go to. But when the time came, there was a trade in place with Las Vegas it was pending talking with my representatives pending coming to an agreement. I couldn't be more excited, I wanted to get that deal done"

Suggests they never got to that point with Calgary. So perhaps Treliving and Dorion were discussing the trade, but when an agreement was in place and it came down to talking to Stone and his agent, they found out it wasn't going to be feasible. Given his $9.5M caphit with Vegas, it obviously wasn't going to be possible to match here for this season.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote