Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #21
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quality person. Very sad.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #22
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

RIP Joey
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #23
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh this is very sad news RIP joey...... I was reading about down syndrome and it says the average life expectancy of people that have it is about 60 years old can someone shine light as to why this may be?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #24
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 10-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #25
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe there is (or was a few years ago) a poster here who is related to Joey. I don't remember who it was, but condolences to you if you're reading this.

RIP.

If anyone deserves a banner up there, it's Joey.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #26
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The news of Joey passing has made me dig up my password to lean on the community for some support.

Although he was a staple for the opposition, its refreshing for Flames fans and Canadians to share what a special human being we had on our hands. He didn't just change the landscape of hockey but more-so showed people with disabilities that they can go on to have normal/extraordinary lives.

I thought in his declining health this loss would be much easier, but because he was so amazing in every way, today may be the hardest day I've had to go though. We all go through the loss of a family member or close friend but theirs just something different with Joey. He had a sense of purpose, hope and reason to be on this earth, and without knowing himself, he changed the lives and landscapes for so many people. He was the most famous person that never knew it.

The world seems just a little darker without him as he was a ray of sunshine to all that knew him.

Thank you for your support during this difficult time.

RIP Uncle Joey
The Following 162 Users Say Thank You to Captaincanada80 For This Useful Post:
1Nite, 1qqaaz, 1_Flames_Fan, 3thirty, Acey, alnigi, Art Vandelay, Azhouse, Badmotorfinger, BarDown, bc-chris, bdubbs, ben voyonsdonc, Bend it like Bourgeois, BigNumbers, Bill Bumface, bob-loblaw, Boblobla, Boo Radley, Buff, Burner, burn_this_city, Caged Great, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, cam_wmh, CaptainCrunch, CaptainYooh, CedarMeter, Cheese, Chingas, chummer, CMPunk, Cole436, Cowboy89, Crispy's Critter, CroFlames, cupofjoe, Cycling76er, DeluxeMoustache, Deviaant, devo22, DFO, Dion, Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!, direwolf, ditty, dubc80, dutch14, fastpuck, firebug, flambers, FlamesAddiction, flamesfan1297, Flamesfan74, Flamesguy_SJ, Francis's Hairpiece, Frequitude, FurnaceFace, Gallick, getbak, GioforPM, GoFlamesGo, GoFlamesGo89, Gondi Stylez, GranteedEV, GreenLantern2814, greyshep, guzzy, Hanna Sniper, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Homer_J, Hoop27, Huntingwhale, IamNotKenKing, icarus, Inferno099, Jay Random, jayswin, Jetfire, Jiggy_12, Jiri Hrdina, jkflames, JohnnyB, Julio, KevinKlineReadingABook, Khel, King Theo, kipperiggy, KipperRules, KootenayFlamesFan, Lanny'sDaMan, Leeman4Gilmour, LIP MAN, Locke, looooob, M*A*S*H 4077, mac_82, Mango, Mass_nerder, Mattman, Mazrim, Morning Wood, MrMike, Mustache, Muta, Nadal Fan, Nage Waza, Number 39, Nyah, OldDutch, OldSam, Ozy_Flame, PaperBagger'14, Patek23, Poe969, puckedoff, Puppet Guy, rayne008, redflamesfan08, Reggie Dunlop, robbie111, Robo, Rubicant, Scornfire, Scroopy Noopers, SeeGeeWhy, Skaloper, Slacker, Slava, slybomb, speede5, stang, stazzy33, STeeLy, Stillman16, Superflyer, Table 5, takinghits, Textcritic, The Yen Man, the-rasta-masta, TheGingerbeardMan, Titan, Tkachukwagon, tknez16, topfiverecords, transplant99, tripin_billie, troutman, tvp2003, Two Fivenagame, vennegoor of hesselink, verda13, VilleN, Wedge, White Out 403, Winsor_Pilates, wired, Yamer, zontar, zuluking
Old 10-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #27
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP Mr. Moss
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #28
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he the longest serving member of the Oilers org? Perhaps longest continually serving?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #29
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Edmonton needs to have a Joey Moss Day.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 PM   #30
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is he the longest serving member of the Oilers org? Perhaps longest continually serving?
He was the only member of the Oilers "OBC" who wasn't a self-serving tool. What a legend Joey was.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #31
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a Titan in the hockey community. A profoundly sad day as an inspiration for the disabled and non-disabled alike has departed the world.

RIP Mr Moss, an NHL legend you were and a legend you will remain!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #32
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Condolences to his friends and family. I seem to recall when it came out that his health was failing, a poster here mentioned that he is related to him. It's one the tragic things about Down's Syndrome that they tend to have shorter life expectancies due to the physical ailments that are part of the condition.

He made a huge difference in Canada on how people view the condition and hopefully helped dispel some of the prejudices that exist. I believe it was Gretzky who actually befriended him first and brought him into the Oilers organization.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-26-2020 at 11:12 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #33
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Edmonton needs to have a Joey Moss Day.
The world needs a Joey Moss day.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:21 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was very young, thats very sad.

RIP Mr. Moss.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:27 PM   #35
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Ugh this is very sad news RIP joey...... I was reading about down syndrome and it says the average life expectancy of people that have it is about 60 years old can someone shine light as to why this may be?
There are several reasons, would be hard to do it all justice here, although I think there is some reason (at least for some of the reasons and ultimately hopefully all of them) why this may not be the case forever

I guess first we need to realize that for an average life expectancy of 60 years old, this is based on folks born at least 60 years ago , the 1960s and earlier

1. There are a host of congenital anomalies and other medical issues (the most prevalent I suppose being congenital heart disease) that can limit the life of even babies with Down syndrome- while many of the surgical outcomes will have improved (and more surgical opportunities for these babies) there are still some severe childhood presentations.

2. Historically in some instances ( but of course not all) in certain past generations some individuals with Down syndrome were not even raised in the family home. This is hard to contemplate now, but was true in the past- with that comes several consequences that could limit lifespan

3. The prevalence of Alzheimer is very high in middle age in Down Syndrome, this is at least in part due to a 3rd copy of the amyloid precursor protein gene on chromosome 21

At any rate, I know nothing about Joey Moss' medical story, nor do I pretend to know him other than what I've seen as a fan from afar but from whatever I've seen obviously an amazing gentleman who almost certainly had an amazing (and very lucky family). my sincere condolences to you and your family captaincanada80
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 02:03 AM   #36
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I will fondly remember him from way back when I was a kid, when Gretzky was at the peak of his career and introduced me to Joey, seeing him around often thereafter, surviving various incarnations of the Oil, and loved seeing him belting out the anthem in 2006. Seemed like a steady presence who was passionate and hard working, beloved by multiple generations of teams he worked with, and a true heart and soul guy. RIP Joey
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #37
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

His banner should be in the rafters in Rogers Place. There is a lot of evil in the world. Joey Moss was a beacon of light.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #38
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This news caught me by surprise yesterday. I had the pleasure to meet Joey, several other members of the Moss family, and Gretzky through a business connection. Joey had a great life made possible with the support of the Oilers and EE who employed him and gave his life more meaning. He’s the best example I can think of of someone who succeeds wildly in life despite a severe disability.

Specially memories of Joey included him belting out the national anthem with a microphone (he was the worst singer in the world but didn’t know that and didn’t care). I once had seats near Joey and heard him singing loud and proud. He became one of Gretzky’s best friends and Wayne and other Oilers made him one of their own. I have a memory of a photograph of Joey at the bench during a practice lecturing and wagging his finger in the face of one of the players and the player virtually nose to nose with Joey listening intently to Coach Moss.

I loved Joey; everyone did. R.I.P., buddy.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to see that "taxi" commercial again.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #40
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This one stings.

My wife and I had our 3rd child in early 2019. Shortly after she was born we found out that she had Down Syndrome.

I grew up in Edmonton so Joey and his story are very well known to me.
He was the only person I "knew" with Down Syndrome.

As you can imagine, the initial diagnosis and shock was monumental. As a parent, you kind of envision life for your child going a certain way but when that path changes, it is helpful to find inspiration.

Joey provided that for me.

His story provided me hope and made me believe in the life my daughter could have despite the obstacles and challenges which may come.

Joey changed the way people looked at Down Syndrome and paved the way for people like my daughter.

He will forever provide our family with inspiration on how full of a life someone with a disability can have and the positive effect they can have on others.

I cannot wait to tell her all about him when she is old enough.

Spoiler!

Last edited by dubc80; 10-27-2020 at 10:24 AM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote