Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #1261
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

S3E2 Good - that opening crash sequence was pretty awesome, and I will never get tired of watching Starfleet get what it deserves for not inventing seatbelts

S3E2 Bad - the same VFX team that brought the thrilling opening crash sequence to life was also responsible for the Babylon 5 quality parasitic ice?

S3E2 Ugly - 1,168 years from now, alien mining technology is exactly the same as ours! they've still got these kicking around on a planet where the ground literally eats equipment at nighttime:

also, of course Space Negan is going to come back and make them pay for their silly Federation ethics of sparing his life.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #1262
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t have time to list all the things wrong with S2 E13 and 14.

I liked the whole time loop, even though it seemed eerily similar to Interstellar. I didn’t even mind the tie ins links to TOS with Spock and Pike.

But story wise, from about halfway thru 13 to the end of 14...wow. I’d need more effort than I have right now to point out everything that was dumb about it. The list would be pages long.

I have no idea how to rate this season. Sometimes an 8/10, sometimes a 2/10. I think what bothers me is it has so much wasted potential. At least bad shows that don’t try to be good are just bad all around. This is so close to being good and yet so very, very far. I’m not mad, I’m disappointed. Nothing I dislike more than wasted potential.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #1263
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
S3E2 Good - that opening crash sequence was pretty awesome, and I will never get tired of watching Starfleet get what it deserves for not inventing seatbelts

S3E2 Bad - the same VFX team that brought the thrilling opening crash sequence to life was also responsible for the Babylon 5 quality parasitic ice?

S3E2 Ugly - 1,168 years from now, alien mining technology is exactly the same as ours! they've still got these kicking around on a planet where the ground literally eats equipment at nighttime:

also, of course Space Negan is going to come back and make them pay for their silly Federation ethics of sparing his life.

Yup, they went back to the "crash space ship into a planet" well. I had to wonder, how did they travel 1000 years, and end up directly in front of a planet. Space is pretty empty. Like, really empty. What are the odds of that happening?

The episode in general was quite enjoyable though. Probably because it lacked Burnham.

And ya, Space Negan is obviously going to get revenge. I mean, he said "I'm going to kill you and your family." "Oh, ok, here, have a bag, go take a walk."

Unfortunately with the big rescue, we get to spend the next few episodes with Burnham explaining every detail of the future to us, since she now has a year in it. Instead of "Discovery" we get her just telling us everything. Expect them to go to that one often. "In the year I was alone, I found out yadayadyada and it solves this problem we have". Ugh.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #1264
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yup, they went back to the "crash space ship into a planet" well. I had to wonder, how did they travel 1000 years, and end up directly in front of a planet. Space is pretty empty. Like, really empty. What are the odds .
Haha I kind of laughed at that too. For one of them to emerge next to a planet is extremely, extremely unlikely. For both to emerge at different planets? Infinitesimal.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #1265
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, to be fair, they Enterise did emerge a year later. More than enough time for one planet to be replaced by another..
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:31 AM   #1266
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Cake is eternal.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #1267
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ok, those holographic tools/interfaces and planetary shielding are cool, but you're still using quantum torpedoes? those should be like throwing a plush cat toy in the 32nd century. but then again, I don't know if Discovery should have been able to tank two of those.

maybe the burn caused significant regression in technology across the galaxy, to the point where stuff is only incrementally better than typical Star Trek. or maybe my expectations are just skewed by things like old Janeway having Borg-busting technology right at the start of the 25th century, or the city-sized Universe class Enterprise J from the century after that.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:10 AM   #1268
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Decent ending, but most of the meat of that episode didn’t feel very Star Trek - not saying that makes it bad, or good.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:07 AM   #1269
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? I thought that episode might’ve been the most ‘Trek’ that Discovery has ever felt. Dealt with lots of conflict of character and emotion (mostly) without resorting to phasers and photons. The scenes on Trill were classic Trek, a distrusting species with one guy willing to stick his neck out to make a difference. And the B-plot in the ship was great, Saru trying to be a leader, character’s dealing with PTSD and acceptance of loss. That might’ve been the best “non-action” episode they’ve done.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #1270
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Really? I thought that episode might’ve been the most ‘Trek’ that Discovery has ever felt. Dealt with lots of conflict of character and emotion (mostly) without resorting to phasers and photons. The scenes on Trill were classic Trek, a distrusting species with one guy willing to stick his neck out to make a difference. And the B-plot in the ship was great, Saru trying to be a leader, character’s dealing with PTSD and acceptance of loss. That might’ve been the best “non-action” episode they’ve done.

Agreed. This show has been surprisingly good so far this season. As we know, it usually takes a while for most Trek series to find their footing, and this show looks to be finally coming into it's own. I'm diggin' it so far. Much better than seasons 1 and 2 anyway.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #1271
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I’ll echo what the others have said, this season has been great. I didn’t hate the first 2 like others but this season is noticeably better.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #1272
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been enjoying the season so far with them trying to unravel the mystery of The Burn with a darker my dystopic future. Definitely a step up over the retconning of the first two seasons and it felt way more "Trek".

Still feel like the pacing is a little too rushed. Like they could have spent a bit of time on Earth showing how much things have changed and how this affects on crew because of the disconnect this causes with the crew rather than just showing a tree then Detmer crazy snapping at a nice dinner. Another thing is they are still using Burnham too much as space Jesus when Culber could have used a bit of character development. Maybe I'm just nitpicking tho.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #1273
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

One thing we’re missing from the old Trek series (TOS to Voyage) is that we had 22 episodes a season to really get to know the all the lead characters. Even though we had to do it through a bunch of, often crappy, filler episodes.

With only 13 episodes, I find I don’t know, or really care about the other bridge crew. That seems to be changing a bit this season which is good.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #1274
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Remember when Ds9 was running 26 episodes?

Crazy long season with no mid season 4 month breaks.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #1275
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Been enjoying the season so far with them trying to unravel the mystery of The Burn with a darker my dystopic future. Definitely a step up over the retconning of the first two seasons and it felt way more "Trek".

Still feel like the pacing is a little too rushed. Like they could have spent a bit of time on Earth showing how much things have changed and how this affects on crew because of the disconnect this causes with the crew rather than just showing a tree then Detmer crazy snapping at a nice dinner. Another thing is they are still using Burnham too much as space Jesus when Culber could have used a bit of character development. Maybe I'm just nitpicking tho.
I was a little annoyed at this at first in this episode too as the reason for sending Burnham down to Trill instead of Culber was flimsy. But then Culber ended up having a really good plotline on Discovery so it evened out.

There's also been no disadvantage from this season completely cutting out Ash Tyler and the hinky looking Klingons. Still not sure what they were thinking with that.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 11-07-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #1276
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoyed the first 4 episodes so far!
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #1277
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bout frackin time they gave Kayla something to do. They wasted her over three years. They had a great storyline for her and pissed it away from the start and she became furniture.

Also Stamets is an a$$.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #1278
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I was a little annoyed at this at first in this episode too as the reason for sending Burnham down to Trill instead of Culber was flimsy. But then Culber ended up having a really good plotline on Discovery so it evened out.

There's also been no disadvantage from this season completely cutting out Ash Tyler and the hinky looking Klingons. Still not sure what they were thinking with that.
Your right Joker thug/discount Idris Elba is a big improvement.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #1279
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Stamets / Tilly / Detmer situation is a good illustration of the dynamic between engineers and technicians/technologists that I see from time to time.

So, does that wrap up Detmer’s arch or is there more going on with her? Is she picking up something in with her implants in subspace that didn’t exist 900 years ago?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #1280
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If that's the end of it, then she's a waste of a character. I'll be disappointment in that decision.

Outside of 4 or 5 characters, the rest are just lawn furniture that they give the occasional line to. They could have saved some cash by CGI'ing some crew members in who's sole job is to say Aye sir and press some buttons.