Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #421
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #422
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There isn't as much geek nitpicking because they're finally giving the geeks and everyone else what they were looking for.

This content not only looks but feels like authentic Star Wars. Even the sketchy CGI moments are reminiscent of the Lucas prequels visually.

The sequel trilogy was what you get when you have a prototypical Disney story and put it in Star Wars packaging with two directors fighting over the direction of the plot.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #423
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also like the simple explanations that move the story forward.

"Oh, I'll just fly my ship over and blow it away."

- Yeah, you cant for 'reasons.'

Cool, whatever and we move along.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:42 PM   #424
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dammit. Now I'm re-watching Justified.

Damn you Raylan Givens you glorious bastard!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #425
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Was that really him?

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #426
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of wild that they changed aspect ratios when
Spoiler!
. I didn't even notice it on first watch, so pretty seamless and effective.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #427
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Guys don’t worry about the spoiler tags, the thread title’s got you covered!
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 05:26 PM   #428
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Guys don’t worry about the spoiler tags, the thread title’s got you covered!
Spoiler!
Old 10-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #429
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Cobb Vanth, Vanth Refrigeration.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2020, 07:58 AM   #430
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This is cool.

Tusken Raider Scout #1 role is played by Troy Kotsur, a Deaf actor from California. Here's a bit from an interview with him about the role and how he developed the sign language they used.

Quote:
RENCA DUNN: Kotsur mentioned that when the team got script, it mentioned sign language. One hearing person on the team knows sign language and that person mentioned that a deaf person should consult the sign language and become the role of being a Tusken Raider. Kotsur said that this is a good example for why it is important to have sign language classes for hearing people so they can become our allies for various opportunities out in the world.

We were curious about how Kotsur developed Tusken Sign Language.

TROY KOTSUR: I did research on the culture and environment of Tusken Raiders. I researched on the desert called "sand people." That is what Luke Skywalker calls them "sand people." Anyway, my goal was to avoid ASL. I made sure it became Tusken Sign Language based on their culture and environment.
https://www.dailymoth.com/blog/deaf-...he-mandalorian
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #431
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chapter 9 was awesome and further cements it as my favorite Star Wars media since the original trilogy. Exciting, great characters and stories, lots of intrigue and mystery, great special effects. Can't wait for more!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #432
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Loved that episode. My only complaint was with the underground fight club. That seemed a bit too low budget for me and really reminded me of something out of a 90s sci-fi show. They had a big chance to really make it energetic like Jabba's Palace. I would have been great to see them have a bit more fun with practical effect costumes and music. Maybe a dancing Twilek or two.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #433
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
There isn't as much geek nitpicking because they're finally giving the geeks and everyone else what they were looking for.

This content not only looks but feels like authentic Star Wars. Even the sketchy CGI moments are reminiscent of the Lucas prequels visually.

The sequel trilogy was what you get when you have a prototypical Disney story and put it in Star Wars packaging with two directors fighting over the direction of the plot.
I don't know - I think the fan base gives this show and some of the other spin offs much more leeway when it comes to story telling and patience than they give the mainline trilogy and it makes the shows much better because of it.

Same thing doesn't happen for the mainline movies. The sequel trilogy is what happens when the fan base doesn't like the studio go in the direction they want, and then you end up with a third movie that needs to appease the fan base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I also think this series has succeeded partly because it doesn't have to adhere to Skywalker lore, therefore you don't have hardcore SW dorks nitpicking the crap out of it to the point where it removes all the joy.

Since it's all new storylines, new characters, and mostly new planets, etc..., people can just sit back and enjoy the ride. They also have 25-30 years of timeline to work with before the events of TFA, so this show could potentially continue for several more seasons.
100% This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wow....finally got a chance to watch that episode and that was amazing.

Its just so...simple. Straight-forward and efficient story-telling with characters that endear you to them immediately.
This is the big thing for me though...the production and direction of these shows just seems so far ahead of the most recent movies. Both the JJ and RJ iterations.

Just a better job of pacing and setting the tone. The JJ movies were a little too fast paced for Star Wars movies, and the RJ movie was a little too slow (although the OT was pretty slow too). This series really seems to have nailed the "pace" of Star Wars for a modern audience.

Having a TV budget vs a Movie budget likely helps here too, as the toned down sets, CGI, and backgrounds seems to feel more like Star Wars too.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-02-2020 at 12:23 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #434
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I love this whole story because there aren't jedi or Sith running around and the whole fate dictated by the Force takes a backseat.

This show was literally written around the Jango Fett line from AOTC. I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in this galaxy.

The Rebels may have won, but it certainly didn't change things in the outer rim. this were bad there under the old republic, bad under the Empire (though you can argue that law and order was imposed) and now it feels like the New Republic has pretty much just ignored it.

I love the griminess of it, we haven't seen any places where you'd really want to raise your family or kids.

They've kept it simple. Kept the action up and showed that Mando is actually pretty noble in his goals. And surrounded him with good characters.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #435
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is the big thing for me though...the production and direction of these shows just seems so far ahead of the most recent movies. Both the JJ and RJ iterations.

Just a better job of pacing and setting the tone. The JJ movies were a little too fast paced for Star Wars movies, and the RJ movie was a little too slow (although the OT was pretty slow too). This series really seems to have nailed the "pace" of Star Wars for a modern audience.

Having a TV budget vs a Movie budget likely helps here too, as the toned down sets, CGI, and backgrounds seems to feel more like Star Wars too.
The JJ movies were too fast-paced for any human who wasnt tripping balls on speed.

And one of the problems with that is the sacrifice of the story-telling.

"Why did this happen? What is going on? Who are these people?"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER!!! MUST. KEEP. MOVING!!!!"

We just watched a bunch of dudes slowly meandering through a Desert. We dont all need a million shiny explosions and lens-flares happening all at once to keep our attention.

Tell us something worth hearing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #436
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's another thing I like about the Mandalorian.

It takes its time enough to build character and settings. It contributes to the world-building.
It was cool to learn more about Tusken Raiders, over 40 years after we first saw them. They become entities we actually care about. This is similar to what the Clone Wars series did with the clones.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #437
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
That's another thing I like about the Mandalorian.

It takes its time enough to build character and settings. It contributes to the world-building.
It was cool to learn more about Tusken Raiders, over 40 years after we first saw them. They become entities we actually care about. This is similar to what the Clone Wars series did with the clones.

The book Kenobi was awesome at filling out the Sand people and their ways, and why they are what they are. A lot of things in the episode came from that book as well, including the sign language aspect.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #438
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The book Kenobi was awesome at filling out the Sand people and their ways, and why they are what they are. A lot of things in the episode came from that book as well, including the sign language aspect.
Okay....but I'm going to keep saying what I've been saying.

I'll preface it with this show doing a perfect job thus far of it.

But if the information I need to know in order for the story you're telling me to make sense isnt in the story you're telling me then I dont care. Its a cop-out.

If its ancillary and grows the Universe thats fine. But Star Wars is so bad for this. They just throw crap at the wall and then claim that if you know this, that and the other thing from some book or comic or TV show then your complaints are invalid and it all makes perfect sense.

In the show I dont need to know Tusken sign language, the show does a suitable job of explaining whats going on.

But Star Wars is going to have to learn to stop relying on supplemental information that the casual viewer doesnt have in order for their stories to make sense.

I'm not saying thats the case here because I enjoyed this episode and didnt even know Kenobi had his own book but I knew what was going on.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #439
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The JJ movies were too fast-paced for any human who wasnt tripping balls on speed.

And one of the problems with that is the sacrifice of the story-telling.

"Why did this happen? What is going on? Who are these people?"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER!!! MUST. KEEP. MOVING!!!!"

We just watched a bunch of dudes slowly meandering through a Desert. We dont all need a million shiny explosions and lens-flares happening all at once to keep our attention.

Tell us something worth hearing.
I don't want to start an argument on this again but The Last Jedi at least tried to do some of that with a slower pace and being more story centric (it had some flaws in the execution of it for sure, and the production/directing of the Mandalorian puts it to shame IMO) and the fan base #### all over it.

So I do think it's a bit of a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" angle for the sequel trilogy.

It's actually where I think Star Wars might be better suited in this new world of high budget TV (Netflix, HBO, Disney+ type of stuff), gives it more time and space to breathe and have that story and world building that isn't always provided in a 2 hour movie.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #440
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Part of me almost wonders if they do that on purpose, I mean they have to be making it look like that on purpose. When you look at the CGI on the Krayt Dragon and what they are capable of.. which again I think is pretty cool.

Watching every episode you can just tell how big of fans Favreau and Filoni are of Star Wars, it oozes out every scene.