Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Senators 4 Flames 3 (SO)

Game Takes: Senators 4 Flames 3 (SO)

- Flames awful through 40
- Markstrom hung out to dry for most of the game
- Not ready to play
- Sutter time
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:31 AM   #2
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Markstrom hung out to dry?

Let in 3 of the first 10 then had his bacon saved by Valimaki on an egregious puck handling fail.

He did make a couple of saves on breakaways.

He was, notably, and to be fair, completely hung out to dry in the shootout

To me the story also includes the PP epic failure

Also the wtf lineups in OT. 13 and 28 plus 29 and 23?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:13 AM   #3
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Intersting that your model, which you have mentioned previously incorporates proprietary passing data, isn't available the same evening Natural Stat Trick's advanced metrics aren't either. On the other hand, both Evolving Hockey and Money Puck are functioning normally.

Does your model combine data from Natural Stat Trick (which doesn't use passing data) with proprietary passing data from your source? Or does your model pull base-level play-by-play from the same source as where Natural Stat Trick's mines theirs and you add passing data afterward? I assume the latter as if the case was the former you would assign credit to Natural Stat Trick in your articles - but worth an ask.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:37 AM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people still think Matthew Tkachuk is captain material? You never saw Iginla or Gio go through the motions over the course of a season practicing minor league trick plays. Seems to be a bit of Phaneuf in this guy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 07:27 AM   #5
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like some common sense entering the picture. Ryan was not given the chance to fail.

He is pretty obvious the most talented of the guys that were getting 4th line minutes and in last year playoffs he tops out at 13 Minutes in an OT game.

How did Simon and Leivo jump him on the depth charts?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Do people still think Matthew Tkachuk is captain material? You never saw Iginla or Gio go through the motions over the course of a season practicing minor league trick plays. Seems to be a bit of Phaneuf in this guy.
Yes.

The team is clearly having a really bad season. You dont judge a players abilities on a 24 game segment.

You wouldnt have asked this last year, or the year before, or the year before that.

He didn't just forget how to play and what he does that has made him successful. Nothing is working for the whole group. He is part of that group.

Other players have a history of disappearing so its fair to question them and what they are going forward. Way to premature to write off a 23 year old that is one of the few guys actually producing this season.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #7
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
It looks like some common sense entering the picture. Ryan was not given the chance to fail.

He is pretty obvious the most talented of the guys that were getting 4th line minutes and in last year playoffs he tops out at 13 Minutes in an OT game.

How did Simon and Leivo jump him on the depth charts?
Uhhh....because Ryan is a center and the others are wingers?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #8
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah but... hear me out.... did you ever think of using 2 centers and only 1 d?

Think outside the box man.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.

The team is clearly having a really bad season. You dont judge a players abilities on a 24 game segment.

You wouldnt have asked this last year, or the year before, or the year before that.

He didn't just forget how to play and what he does that has made him successful. Nothing is working for the whole group. He is part of that group.

Other players have a history of disappearing so its fair to question them and what they are going forward. Way to premature to write off a 23 year old that is one of the few guys actually producing this season.
That's not the case as he's never raised his game in the playoffs or down the stretch of seasons when the games become more important. The fact that he continues to make those minor league behind the legs plays in his 5th season is telling of a guy that's just not maturing. To me he's a lot like Phaneuf in that he thinks he's doing what it takes to win and badly wants to be a leader but the rest of the locker room don't share that belief. It was telling that the rest of the team kind of rolled their eyes when he had that tantrum with Muzzin.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-08-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 08:23 AM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Markstrom hung out to dry?

Let in 3 of the first 10 then had his bacon saved by Valimaki on an egregious puck handling fail.

He did make a couple of saves on breakaways.

He was, notably, and to be fair, completely hung out to dry in the shootout

To me the story also includes the PP epic failure

Also the wtf lineups in OT. 13 and 28 plus 29 and 23?
Big part of the game story. The PP after tying with the game with a few minutes left was a dud with the game on the line.

Considering how much hometown fan like to complain about the officials, we'd have to admit they sure did everything in their power to help the Flames last night. Not hard to see why Smith was so livid afterwards.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's not the case as he's never raised his game in the playoffs or down the stretch of seasons when the games become more important.
Again...really small sample size. He gt injured last year but had been OK before that and again against the Av's, the entire team got their heads caved in. If you want to pin that on a 22 YO....fill your boots.

Quote:
The fact that he continues to make those minor league behind the legs plays in his 5th season is telling of a guy that's just not maturing.
Minor league play? You see that a lot in the minors do you? Barzal scored the goal of the year on the weekend using that move...is he not maturing or using a minor league play as well? Just askin. I will also point out that MT has used that quite successfully at time in the NHL as well.

Quote:
To me he's a lot like Phaneuf in that he thinks he's doing what it takes to win and badly wants to be a leader but the rest of the locker room don't share that belief. It was telling that the rest of the team kind of rolled their eyes when he had that tantrum with Muzzin.
I look forward to more of your insider information from the locker room.

Last edited by transplant99; 03-08-2021 at 08:59 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #12
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Intersting that your model, which you have mentioned previously incorporates proprietary passing data, isn't available the same evening Natural Stat Trick's advanced metrics aren't either. On the other hand, both Evolving Hockey and Money Puck are functioning normally.

Does your model combine data from Natural Stat Trick (which doesn't use passing data) with proprietary passing data from your source? Or does your model pull base-level play-by-play from the same source as where Natural Stat Trick's mines theirs and you add passing data afterward? I assume the latter as if the case was the former you would assign credit to Natural Stat Trick in your articles - but worth an ask.
I don't have a model at all.

Just use public data from many web sites.

And yes Natural Hat Trick was down last night.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #13
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And Ryan is maybe the only center in the world that just can't play on the wing?

Maybe it was written into his contract? In the last year of his deal he might have waived the have-to-play-center clause.

Lucky for the Olympic teams as half their forwards would normally play center.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #14
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

I have absolutely zero idea what you are talking about.

I should be used to that by now.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #15
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Derek Ryan has been an important piece in all of his time in Calgary.

He's 6th in total ice time behind the big five since he joined the team (all situations), and 7th in total ice time per game.

Honestly not sure what you're trying to say. He was the fourth line center in the bubble with Bennett effectively getting a look on a solid third line with Lucic and Dube.

His time in the bubble was down for sure, but given his track record and usage before and after that I'm not sure anything can be assumed.

He could have been hurt. Not in great shape? Bennett just looked better?

There isn't a whole lot to talk about here, he was out a month and they've been auditioning everyone with Gaudreau and Monahan lately.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:30 AM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we're going to see some Gaudreau and Ryan under Sutter. With Monahan being moved around.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote